Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian Attempting To Go Vegan- Need suggestions!

Options
labellacv
labellacv Posts: 6 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hi.

I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for over 20 yrs. I have wanted to try going vegan, but I love cheese so last time I tried, I failed. I've decided to try again for a few days next week, hoping to eventually make it a permanent thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good vegan recipes that are easy to make & don't require alot of time? (I also work full time, am a mother of 3, & a nursing student, so I don't have much free time.)

I'm hoping for food that doesn't taste like dirt! (Another reason I gave up last time. Lol.) >:)

Thank you! :)

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Since cheese is your weakness, maybe try a lot of vegan cheeses before you make the switch so you'll have a nice vegan alternative to fall back on.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite cookbooks with a focus on quick/easy meals: Isa Does It and Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (Appetite for Reduction has specific calorie/nutrient counts for all recipes too), Cook the Pantry by Robin Robertson, Supermarket Vegan by Donna Klein, The Vegan Stoner by Sarah Conrique and Graham Haynes (this one focuses on really, really quick stuff). I have heard good things about Quick-Fix Vegan by Robin Robertson (and I love her cookbooks overall), but I don't have it myself.

Good luck!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There are some good cheese spreads, and "sour creams" that you can make with cashews. Pintrest has a TON of good recipes. I have an enchilada one I made with a cashew cream. It's time consuming to make the entire thing, but the creama itself isn't. I'll find the recipe and post it for you. I'm a single mom/student/full time employee, so I get the time crunch. I save some of these things for the weekend when I have more time.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Kristy Turner has a cookbook titled: "But I Could Never Go Vegan - 125 recipes that prove you can live without cheese". You might want to take a look at it.
  • labellacv
    labellacv Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I lasted 5 days as a vegan. Lol. I'm definitely going to try again!! :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast for making cheesy pasta. Violife cheese is good,
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Replace cheese with fake cheese or guac.