Confused question regarding TDEE and MFP Goals

Options
My TDEE is 1982. So as I understand if I go TDEE-20% I should lose weight (or anything under TDEE).

MFP sets my base level at 1200, then gives me 'exercise calories'. If I stay on THAT goal, then I should lose weight.

If I go above MFP but stay below TDEE-20%, should I still lose weight? I think that I should but maybe not as quickly. What is wrong with my assumptions? Yes, I am probably over-thinking and splitting hairs but the difference is often 100-200 calories. And when you are hungry those calories are tempting! :sad:

Thanks all for the advice!

Tracy

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Pick one method and stick with it, and stop overcomplicating it.

You'll lose weight on anything below TDEE; -20% is just a recommended amount. So if you're especially hungry one day, you can safely go up to TDEE and not gain weight.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 1982. So as I understand if I go TDEE-20% I should lose weight (or anything under TDEE).

MFP sets my base level at 1200, then gives me 'exercise calories'. If I stay on THAT goal, then I should lose weight.

If I go above MFP but stay below TDEE-20%, should I still lose weight? I think that I should but maybe not as quickly. What is wrong with my assumptions? Yes, I am probably over-thinking and splitting hairs but the difference is often 100-200 calories. And when you are hungry those calories are tempting! :sad:

Thanks all for the advice!

Tracy
    If you eat anythng below your total daily energy expenditure (notice that that includes all activities), you will lose weight. It doesn't have to be a specific percentage under, or a huge percentage under. If you are eating less then you expend, you lose. I always pick the higher number and never had any problems. As you get closer to your goal, many people choose to eat a larger amount then less then TDEE-20% since that wouldn't give them a sustainable amount of food, where as if you are overweight it would.

Remember, everything including the number on the back of a box is a average. Try to be accurate when you are counting calories and use a food scale.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Pick one method and stick with it, and stop overcomplicating it.

^ That.