My doctor is an idiot!

Options
1235»

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I am in pain from my neck at the moment so i am frustrated, i have to wait till Monday for blood tests to be done so a weekend of pain and no exercise. :cry:
    Well what did you expect them to do? fix you straight away???? :grumble:
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My doctor is an idiot, i have been getting pins and needles in my arms and my feet. i know its coming from my neck/back and wanted him to refer me for physio so i could get it free via my health insurance.
    He has refered me to have my bloods checked, but need to go whilst fasting. does he think because i am peri menopausal that i am neurotic. Left without any thing. I am running 10k on saturday any advice.
    :grumble:

'My doctor is an idiot.' O_o

88.gif

Your doctor is just doing his job correctly. Advice: Don't run the 10k on Saturday. Wait until you know what the problem is and go from there. Don't think that you know what's wrong with you. Most people who self diagnose end up being very wrong. :wink:
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Oh god, OP is the type of patient I hate at work. Thinks they know it all because they know how to use google. Please go ahead and tell the person who went to school for medicine that they are wrong. I'm sure you're 100% right.

She may BE right, but the doc still has to do the proper workup. In addition, if she IS right, she could have just done her own conservative treatment (available via google or MFP....) or gone to the chiropractor on her own dime. Many people don't want to do that though...they want their insurance to cover things that the rest of us pay good money for (like massage, etc). Don't get me wrong, if she truly has disc herniation, etc, and she's paying for insurance, then she SHOULD expect them to cover her treatment....but should not be calling her doc and idiot just because she didn't get what she wanted right off the bat.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    who needs med school when youve got webmd.

tumblr_m3xtinucf71qkqkja.gif
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    OP have you thought about going to get your Doctorate in medicine? If you think you know whats wrong then just go get the adjustment if it is so important to you. IMO do what the doctor says. My insurance covers all adjustments without referral. FYI I know doctors who will give you the name of a physio but will not refer since some doctors do not believe in them. According to my insurance adjustments do not fall under medicine, they fall under same category as acupuncture, alternative.
  • RomonaALewis
    Options
    yes. It's time to get a new doctor who actually listens to you. I did, and 1 year later I have had gastric bypass lost a total of 70 lbs. I feel better than I have in years and I am glad I changed doctors. Check around with other patients and get their opinion on other Doctors on the same insurance plan. You'll be glad you did. Good Luck!
    SweetStuff55
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Oh god, OP is the type of patient I hate at work. Thinks they know it all because they know how to use google. Please go ahead and tell the person who went to school for medicine that they are wrong. I'm sure you're 100% right.

Well, unfortunately, you guys have to deal with the glut of information out there, and people's desire to be more informed, which is obviously coloured by anxiety about health. Accommodating that change in the communication dynamic is now part of your job.

You cannot now expect people to just passively accept medical advice/opinion. Not that they always did - in the past, certain people might just not have complied, and kept their thoughts to themselves.

In addition, because despite this change in information & rise in patient self-advocacy, etc, you and your colleagues have the experience and education, I feel it's actually incumbent on you to direct the exchange of information in a way that supports people getting on-board. & I think that entails listening to their objections/ideas, so you can better understand how to help them.

I have no doubt all that is very difficult under the conditions in which you work. (That should change, too.)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Well, unfortunately, you guys have to deal with the glut of information out there, and people's desire to be more informed, which is obviously coloured by anxiety about health. Accommodating that change in the communication dynamic is now part of your job.

You cannot now expect people to just passively accept medical advice/opinion. Not that they always did - in the past, certain people might just not have complied, and kept their thoughts to themselves.

In addition, because despite this change in information & rise in patient self-advocacy, etc, you and your colleagues have the experience and education, I feel it's actually incumbent on you to direct the exchange of information in a way that supports people getting on-board. & I think that entails listening to their objections/ideas, so you can better understand how to help them.

I have no doubt all that is very difficult under the conditions in which you work. (That should change, too.)
    The problem isn't people educating themselves. It's people assuming they know more than the medical staff.

Last year, I was having pain and discomfort that I assumed was a food issue. I posted about it on here and a friend said she had those symptoms and it was a serious gallbladder attack. So I googled the symptoms of gallbladder disease and I had almost all of them.

I went to the doctor with my list with my symptoms checked off and when he sent me for an ultrasound prior to sending me to a gastro, I didn't think he was an idiot. I recognized that it might not be my gallbladder and they needed to do some tests before taking the next step.

In the end, it turned out I was right. But it could have been something else and I was open to that.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I think I missed the part where the doctor was running a 10k with a sore neck.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    What is the point of posting this? You have obviously already diagnosed yourself. As a nurse I can tell you that getting those tests done are far more important than heading straight to physio, which could be detrimental if they don't know what is wrong with you. And to the people telling you that you may need an adjustment or that is may be a pinched nerve that isn't helpful. Nobody on here has assessed this person. What did you expect ? People to come in here and agree with you that your Dr is an idiot and that you are brilliant for diagnosing yourself ?

Well... ^^^ This AND... I'm not so sure I would be running a 10K if you are feeling this way. Just my opinon though.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    get second opinion.