Bypass Surgery Diet- Without the Surgery. Advice please?

Options
So i am 250lbs, my primary care physician suggested bariatric surgery. I am torn, truly unsure. So i have decided that,with the help of a dietitian, i am going to try the diet first, to see if one, i can even do it, and two, if maybe that will cut out the need for surgery period. I need to know more about the diet, and i need suggestions for things given that a lot of my food comes from Food Pantries and limited food stamps right now.

Im in college but cant work for various reasons, so need a diet that works with my resources. Also addinf friends

Replies

• ellengraham702
    ellengraham702 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am much older than you---and my doctor also recommended weight loss surgery- I am opposed for both rational and emotional reasons---I too am trying weight loss---actually attending a medically supervised weight loss program through a respected hospital. Would be willing to be part of your support group. Can share what my dietician and bariatric nurse practioner say. I salute your determination in challenging circumstances.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    hi! You could always go through the program. Most insurance companies require you to go through a 6 month program with a nutritionist before they approve you for surgery. You don't have to go with the surgery at that point. You may be approved for it, but you don't have to do it.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 100 lbs using the calorie counting method here on MFP. By doing this it comes off and stays off. I've seen way too many bariatric patients who are on their second, third, or even fourth surgery. They drop it, but gain in all back since it's really not a lifestyle change in the long run. Good luck!
  • blazterx
    blazterx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Quantity of food will always trump quality when it comes to weight loss vs weight gain. Just start tracking your food as accurately as possible to create a caloric deficit (taking in less energy than your body is spending) and you will see results. A lot of people get caught up in low carb or low fat diets, in my opinion those two nutrients are simply a matter of preference in regard to what works for you. Protein does matter though because it curbs your appetite. Hit that everyday, be flexible with the others and you will get there. This is a helpful website for information: http://ss.fitness/
  • LivviLosing
    LivviLosing Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest, and say that at 250lbs, I would definitely try to make positive lifestyle changes, rather than a bypass, or even a crash diet. While bariatric surgery/extreme dieting can be useful tools in weight loss, if you can't maintain a good diet and be aware of your calorie intake and requirements, the weight will creep back on.

My father, stepmother, and mother have each had a gastric bypass, and their weight has never reached the "high point" again, but they still struggle with calories in calories out, only with the added burden of vitamin malabsorption. The malabsorption causes plenty of other issues as well, such as reduced healing time from broken bones, etc.

You would be much better off learning from the dietician how to make healthy food choices/developing a meal plan, purchasing a food scale, and tracking calories using MFP. Track everything you eat for 6 months, try to increase your physical activity level the best you can, and then see where you are.

If honest to goodness, your 100% all out best, consistent, long term effort to track calories and live well does not result in the weight loss, then consider the extreme diet/surgery.

Just remember, there are no quick fixes for weight loss, and if you fall off track, don't be afraid to get right back in the swing of things.
  • KristyRunyon81
    KristyRunyon81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2003. By 2007, I had gained most of my weight back by not sticking to the diet. In the past year I have lost 100 lbs using the calorie counting method. It's not easy and takes dedication but you are worth it.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I don't have first hand experience with bariatric surgery. I do have a cousin with some pretty serious health concerns stemming from his bariatric surgery years ago. It would be enough to make me try most anything else first.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The thing to keep in mind is that the surgery doesn't fix the underlying issues of WHY you over eat and it is a life long change. You have to be willing to eat tiny meals and drink very small amounts forever. If you are able to lose the weight naturally and learn how to eat in moderation, you can achieve the same results without the possibility of serious surgical complications. As others have said, you can take advantage of the pre-op counseling and see how you do on your own then decide from there.

My ex husband opted to have surgery two years ago. It was a nightmare for him. He almost died twice. Once because of complications that led to severe dehydration and near kidney failure. The second time, he threw a clot that caused him to have a bilateral pulmonary embolism. If he hadn't been in the hospital with a doctor in the room at the time the embolism occurred, he would not have survived. He has since stabilized and the surgery has been a success but he has tons of medical bills he didn't anticipate. He went from over 500 pounds to just over 200 pounds. I have known others that had great success from the beginning with no complications at all. It's a very personal decision.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I don't know how food stamps work, but do you use them to buy groceries at the grocery store, or do you have to use them at a food bank? Either way, there must be low fat/calorie choices out there you can make. You sound young, personally, I don't think surgery is the way to go. I would try the lifestyle changes first. And, keep in mind, you didn't gain the weight overnight, you can't expect to lose it overnight either. My niece had the surgery, and like the poster above she has had lots of health issues since.
    Good luck!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    MissTattoo wrote: »
    hi! You could always go through the program. Most insurance companies require you to go through a 6 month program with a nutritionist before they approve you for surgery. You don't have to go with the surgery at that point. You may be approved for it, but you don't have to do it.

and
    The thing to keep in mind is that the surgery doesn't fix the underlying issues of WHY you over eat and it is a life long change. You have to be willing to eat tiny meals and drink very small amounts forever. If you are able to lose the weight naturally and learn how to eat in moderation, you can achieve the same results without the possibility of serious surgical complications. As others have said, you can take advantage of the pre-op counseling and see how you do on your own then decide from there.

I had RNY last January 19th. I was losing with the pre-surgery diet, but not fast enough to keep my heart from failing. So, I had the surgery. Had I known about the pre-surgery diet (which is essentially a ketogenic diet) before my heart was in such bad shape, I might have avoided surgery altogether.

Make the positive changes to your diet, lifestyle, and emotional well-being now. If those mean you don't need surgery, that's awesome! That's the goal! If they don't, then surgery is an option and you're educated to know what you're in for.

I'm happy to talk to you about my experience, but there's a great group here on MFP where you can read about many stories, talk to people in various stages, and get a feel for what life will be like after surgery. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

Good luck!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

I had Roux En Y gastric bypass in 2011 and have lost 120+ pounds, and kept it off for nearly 5 years. The surgery was a huge help to me in being a catalyst to lead a much healthier life. I eat 5-6 small, balanced meals a day, go to the gym 4-5 times a week, get lots of rest and drink plenty of water. In addition to a monthly meeting with a counselor to keep myself mentally healthy. Obesity is so much more than just loving food. Additionally- I am 27 weeks pregnant now, and have only gained 23 pounds; I have very little pain or discomfort, I had no morning sickness, etc. My doctor attributes this to my healthy lifestyle.

If I had done these things prior to surgery, maybe I wouldn't have needed to do it, but I wouldn't change my experience for the world. Though these things sound easy, I know from first hand experience that changing old habits are HARD. My suggestion to you is try changing something new every week or so. Start with exercise: take the stairs instead of an elevator, take a walk during your lunch, buy some in home workout DVD's. Then move to your diet and so on. MFP has been a large part of my success.

If you make these changes, and still see no results- THEN I would seek surgery.

Best of luck to you!
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I think the key to this is to use the foods you get from the food pantry and your food stamps wisely. Read labels and try to get the most nutritious things possible. Are you able to grow a few vegetable plants yourself? Or do you know anyone who does that you could get things from them or even a local community garden? At the end of the day you still need to be accountable for your calories regardless of what kinds of foods you're eating. Use the food data base on here and check things out before you eat them so you know how many calories you're getting before consuming them and weigh your foods for accurate calorie counts based on their weight. Good luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The post-RNY diet is slightly different based on where you live (local medical preference) and your personal circumstances.

Every post-RNY patient will have different tolerances so it's not like a one size fits all sort of thing. Many will have trouble eating a lot of sugar at once, or soft breads. But why give these up if these intolerances have nothing to do with why they are losing weight?

Here's a pretty good approximation of a post-RNY diet (excepting the first few months where only soft foods are tolerated while the stomach heals). Eat about 3/4 what you do now. Measure it out. This is economical and works with the foods you have available to you.

Eat at least 1,200 calories a day.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Last year at this time I weighed almost 240 lbs. You can successfully lose weight without the surgery. I'm not sure what the diet entails, but it might be worth trying. Alternatively, you could put your info into MFP and follow the calorie recommendations. Good luck to you. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I started at 216lb and in 6 months I've lost around 30lb. You have a little bit more to lose, so you might even lose more in 6 months. That alone should be reason enough not to need bariatric surgery!

What I'm saying is, if you plug your stats into MFP and eat the calorie amount it suggests for you, weight loss will happen.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a sample post-bariatric eating plan.

http://bariatrics.ucla.edu/workfiles/UCLA-Bariatric-postoperative-diet-instructions.pdf

I see no reason why anyone would choose the first six weeks of the plan if they hadn't had the surgery, which is intended to allow the stomach time to heal. Post-bariatric patients would have to work hard to eat to the plan up to six weeks.
  • pixlikesitcrazy
    pixlikesitcrazy Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 years out from gastric sleeve, 180 lbs lost in six months and I've kept it off with watching my diet and exercising.

There is no way to tell if you'll stick to the diet afterwards, my tastes changed completely after surgery and all the things I loved before made me feel like gagging after, things tasted different and my hormonal balance and metabolism changed completely.

The only way to be successful is to change your mind, they can alter your guts but that will eventually become easy to abuse, if you don't shift your focus and learn to look at food as fuel, it won't matter what surgery you have, and that's the dead truth.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP, are you talking about the post-surgery diet or the one people are asked to do prior to the surgery? I assumed the latter.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I started out last January at 5'3", 250 lbs, BMI 44.3, qualifying for surgery. I'm down to 184 by using MFP to help get my calories in check and learn how to moderate junk food. If your doc recommended surgery without getting you on a regimented weight loss plan first, or unless you're at serious risk of health complications RIGHT NOW due to your weight, then I'd be telling him to slow his roll. Or, maybe he's just trying to scare you into doing in on your own, in which case, maybe it's working! Surgery or not, you'll need to learn how to control your intake in order to be successful, so you might as well get started and see how it goes.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    hiya,

i've lost about 97 lbs in the past year since joining mfp. my doctor offered a surgical option as well prior to my deciding to lose weight on my own. i was heavier than you when i started at just under 300 lbs. the reason i didn't go with the surgery, is i knew i would still have to learn how to control my eating even with the surgical method for the actual weight loss. but since i knew i could accomplish the weight loss by learning to control my eating, i decided that was a better route to take. my biggest concern about surgery was that if i had surgery, yet didn't develop a more healthy attitude about food, i would be in bigger trouble than ever. finally, the major advantage of losing weight without surgery is that it has given me both time and opportunity to develop a healthier attitude about food in the last year. i think keeping weight off is much harder than losing it, but having taken the last year to develop better habits with regard to eating and exercise makes me feel more confident about my chances.