Energy Gels

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I make my own "gel" (because I'm a cheapskate....) 3 parts honey, 1 part molasses, a pinch of salt and jus enough water to slightly thin it out in a gel flask.

Whatever you decide to do make sure you race with the products you train with (nothing new on race day.....)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "This topic is about as YMMV as it's possible to get."

I give up. What is YMMV? Thank you
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    YMMV=Your mileage may vary. This is a zombie thread, but I want to add that I had been using gels during long tennis matches and found them to be very helpful (I used Clif gels and gummies), but I switched to good old Gatorade, found it to be just as effective and a lot less messy.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary. A play on the mile per gallon disclaimer text used when selling cars. Another version is YRMV - Your Results May Vary.

Its a clause that people add to say "although this happened for me, it may be different for you".
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    YMMV=Your mileage may vary. This is a zombie thread, but I want to add that I had been using gels during long tennis matches and found them to be very helpful (I used Clif gels and gummies), but I switched to good old Gatorade, found it to be just as effective and a lot less messy.
    YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary. A play on the mile per gallon disclaimer text used when selling cars. Another version is YRMV - Your Results May Vary.

Its a clause that people add to say "although this happened for me, it may be different for you".

Thank you..
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jdt242 wrote: »
    Training for a half marathon and have read that I should fuel my body at regular intervals. I have run for 90 minutes on an empty stomach quite happily, but do think I could do with a boost after an hour. Instead of lugging around water, I thought I might try an energy gel.

Can anyone give me some helpful info in these. Do they work? What's the best brand? What should I be looking for in terms of electrolytes, carbs etc.

Complete newbie. Help please :-)

Thanks

Most Energy Gels recommend that you drink water with them. As far as what works you'll have to see what works for you. I've tried Hammer, Gu, but I personally like Pacific Labs the best. And I've got some Science in Sports on order to see how they work for me.
  • ehine1
    ehine1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think it's already been mentioned, but I too enjoy GU Energy Gel - Root Beer Flavored. It's got the Root Beer taste (and smell) without being too overpowering. I take one about 5-10 minutes before every run with a few sips of water.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I carry water and fruit snacks on all my long runs. I can not stomach gels. As a mom of two I always have fruit snacks on hand and they are way cheaper:).