Green tea

Options
Whats peoples opinion on green tea? I've read that it's no calories, that it helps lower cholesterol, and detoxes.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    There is nothing to detox. Your liver and kidneys do that all on their own. If they didn't, you would have to be in dialysis. It is no calorie, so if you like it, drink it. I personally hate the stuff. Yuk.

To lose weight, eat less calories than you burn. Buy a digital food scale. Weigh and log all your food. That is the "magic pill" to weight loss.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It is low in calories and many people like the taste of it. It has a natural diuretic effect, which people seem to mistake for some kind of detox. Detox has just kind of lost any meaning these days, hasn't it?
  • jaynizat
    jaynizat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well with me although weight loss, is the ultimate goal. My cholesterol is high, and my kidneys are ' borderline' meaning they need ' flushing' out more. It was mentioned I try green tea. The plain green tea is not at all palatable, but green tea with pineapple etc is amazingly quite pleasant. I am on a calorie controlled diet as well.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    jaynizat wrote: »
    Well with me although weight loss, is the ultimate goal. My cholesterol is high, and my kidneys are ' borderline' meaning they need ' flushing' out more. It was mentioned I try green tea. The plain green tea is not at all palatable, but green tea with pineapple etc is amazingly quite pleasant. I am on a calorie controlled diet as well.

If you have "borderline" kidneys, you should probably be having this conversation with your doctor, not random people on the internet. My guess would be that water or tea or anything that made you pee would help "flush" your kidneys more often. I am not a doctor. I do not have any training to back up that statement.

Green tea is not magic. Drink it if you like it.
  • jaynizat
    Options
    Well I think what was meant by telling me it ' detoxes' is basically you go to the loo more. So yes the word detox has certainly lost its true meaning!
  • jaynizat
    Options
    The conversation I had was with a nurse. I was asking 'random people' on the internet, their opinion on green tea as a drink as part of a calorie controlled diet. Your reply seems slightly hostile. I was only asking opinions!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I gave my opinion. Green tea is yucky.

You posted that you thought it "detoxes." In the interest of dispelling myth, I gave you the information that it doesn't.

I don't see how attempting to dispel dieting myths and providing the opinion you asked for is hostile. Being worried about you getting information from the internet when you have medical issues isn't hostile.
  • jaynizat
    Options
    OK point taken.. my apologises!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Who told you you had borderline kidneys? If that is the case, you need to speak to your doctor because you would need to also becareful sodium and potassium levels.
  • jaynizat
    Options
    I had an NHS Health check. My blood results stated my kidneys were borderline. I asked the nurse what that meant, She basically said you need to drink more to flush them out.
  • jtorrey585
    jtorrey585 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The response was quite krass, you are not alone in that feeling. I love my green tea with mint and i think it gives me just enough caffeine to make me keep going without that jittery coffee feeling. I do find myself in the loo more often though because of it.
  • jaynizat
    Options
    Thank you jmanning28 for your comment. As I previously said just the basic green tea I find unpalatable. But there are quite a few added flavours to the basic now. I also like green tea with mint.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I find green tea pretty awful myself but it if you like it then it is a good way of getting hydration. Would not say it had any other properties than that. As for detoxing you have your organs for that. For your kidneys water is probably the best thing you can give them. They like water with or without green tea in it :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YUM!!!, great for ya!, I have a few every day!
  • jaynizat
    Options
    I agree about water, and I do drink 4 pints daily, But green tea for me is a better option than coffee.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    the kit I got for xmas, is.. mint green tea,asian green tea,jasmine green tea,earlgrey green tea, pomegranate green tea,blueberry green tea,, FANTASTIC!!, by hickory farms, great health benefits!
  • jaynizat
    Options
    I've not tried Asian green tea. I'm not keen on earl grey green tea. But the rest I love. I do actually find the flavoured ones quite refreshing. I hope you enjoy all of them!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    jaynizat wrote: »
    I had an NHS Health check. My blood results stated my kidneys were borderline. I asked the nurse what that meant, She basically said you need to drink more to flush them out.

So how does that lead to drinking green tea? I'm sure they meant drink more fluid. So she said you were dehydrated? I would have asked for more information about what she meant.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I do like green tea but I'm going through a phase of liking nettle tea. It has 2 calories a cup.
  • jaynizat
    Options
    I did ask what she meant. I was told I'm not drinking enough, and my kidneys need flushing out more. She told me to avoid tea ( normal tea that is) and coffee, and to try to drink more water, she added on that green tea would help to flushout.