Fitbit Blaze or Fitbit Surge?

Options
So not long ago Fitbit announced the Fitbit Blaze. I was looking into the Fitbit Surge as a possibility as a new fitness motivator. Now, I am unsure. Do you like your Fitbit Surge if you have one? Would you hold out for the release of the Blaze to compare? I thought I would get some more opinion other than my own and my husbands. Haha.

Link to the Fitbit Blaze:
https://www.fitbit.com/blaze

Link to Fitbit Surge:
https://www.fitbit.com/surge

Replies

• tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    When I saw the Blaze I thought it was the watch I've been waiting for. I've dithered between the Surge and Vivoactive for ages without really making up my mind.

But the Blaze has had a bit of a drubbing in the press so now I'm not so sure!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I will probably end up getting the Blaze. I passed on the Surge because it was SOOOO big. I am using a Garmin Vivosmart HR now. I like the way the Blaze looks, and I like that you can wear it with different bands. I'm sure I'll eventually order it when it is available on Amazon.
  • javaheadz
    javaheadz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the Surge, and haven't been terribly happy with it. It's huge and uncomfortable, and doesn't have the accuracy I expected (skips stairs, low heart rate count, etc). I've had a BodyMedia, Band, and Fitbit. I'm still looking for a better tracker!!!!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have been a fit bit user for over 3 years now. First a One, then the Force, now the Charge HR. Love them all!
    I did look at the Surge, but, not for too long after they announced the Blaze coming out. I can't justify spending the money for the Surge, but I did ask for the Blaze for my birthday in September.
  • backontheattack
    backontheattack Posts: 3,178 Member
    Options
    I have the Surge, I wish I waited for the blaze, it just a nicer looking unit then the big and bulky surge.
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the blaze, simply because you can buy additinal arm bands. I have a charge, and have to superglue the band quite a lot
  • mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Well... if you are looking at these devices to eventually track your weight-loss targets, then you will be surprised that most of these don't give the REAL picture.
    Studies have shown these gadgets are not always 100% accurate to give the exact information on your exercise activities.
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My husband has the Surge and loves it for the GPS capabilities. The Blaze allows you to use your phone's GPS, but with the Surge he can go for a run without his phone and it will track his route, distance, and other stats. I think that's the big differentiator for the Surge. If you aren't interested in that capability, I don't think it's worth the extra money.

Also, I think I would find the Surge too big for me, and I like some of the extra features on the Blaze. I use the Fitstar app for workouts and I would love to be able to run them from my Fitbit. I'm happy with my Charge HR, but if I were to buy one now I would choose the Blaze, given that the Charge HR has gone up so much in price.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Have the Blaze and love it. Compared HR function to chest strapped Polar and its remarkably accurate. Never had a Surge so can't compare.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I liked my Surge, but I like the blaze better.
    Around the 1 yr mark the band started breaking. The band can't be replaced and at it's price point that is a huge downfall.
    I was disappointed with the GPS. It would track my route correctly on a map, but if I was pushing a stroller the distance would be way off since it couldn't detect steps.

I preordered the Blaze when I when I went to order a new Surge. I am extremely happy with the purchase so far.

I can change the band and even get some nicer leather ones if I wish to.
    It looks nicer on my wrist.
    It has a color display (Surge doesn't).
    It has 3 Fitstar workouts preloaded into it (Warm Up, 7 min workout, 10 min abs). You don't have to have a Fitstar account to use the workouts. I found them handy the week my youngest was sick and I couldn't get to the gym. It buzzes to let you know to transition between exercises/rests and has a little figure that shows you what the exercise looks like. So that's kind of neat.
    The connected GPS is nice, but glitchy. It not only maps my walk, but even comes pretty close to getting the distance right while I'm pushing a stroller. There is a bit of a glitch with it though where the distance has been off by 0.5-0.6 of a mile every time I've used it. Looking at the Fitbit forums, it seems to be a wide spread issue that will hopefully be fixed with a firmware update. Some people do have issues with the GPS stopping, but I have yet to experience that issue myself.

Overall though, unless you really want the built in GPS, I say go for the Blaze.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've had a Surge for more than a year. The GPS feature runs down the battery way too fast, so I use Runkeeper on my phone if I want GPS.

As for the other features on the Surge - text messaging and music controls don't work with my device, and incoming call notifications finally work after waiting months to get fixes. I'm told these are not supported with Android, but they do tend to work with some devices. Fitbit says they have fixed some of these issues, but that isn't universally true. From what I can tell, the same technology glitches would exist with the Blaze.

I do like the HR features - I upgraded from the One because of the HRM on the Surge. If I had to do it again, I would have bought the Charge HR.
  • ohiochic28
    ohiochic28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I upgraded from the Charge to the Blaze and so far I really love the Blaze. Love the color display.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have the Blaze and I like it so far. A big question between them is what do you want them for. The list the Surge as for more performance, since it has GPS. Blaze does not, though it can connect with the GPS of your phone. I don't run outside, so GPS didn't matter, and I think the Blaze looks nicer. The Blaze also has the ability to buy additional bands to change the look up, if you want. It has a color screen as well, which I like. If you want an everyday fitness tracker, the Blaze might be a better choice. If you want one for outside running and want GPS, the surge is more suited.
  • TorShern
    TorShern Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Blaze!!!! I love mine!!!! It's sleek, does it all!!! I got the plum and I looooove my Blaze!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge and it completely fell apart in 5 months. I had already contacted Fitbit and they sent me a replacement some months ago when I said I had lost my FB, which I later found. And my boyfriend's mom wanted the spare one so I gave it away. The Blaze looks really nice but it also looks a bit clunky. I actually decided to get the Fitbit Alta.
  • SexyGamerGal
    SexyGamerGal Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lol I forgot about this thread til I came on the forum on my phone and saw notifications. I actually ended up getting a fitbit charge hr over a month ago and use it as a motivatonal tool to move more and ensure I get a good amount of hours of sleep. Charge hr was a good pick for my first one and plan on moving on to the blaze later this year since this is just enough for me but I want to change out bands.

This can closed or deleted if needed since it is an old thread and it is not needed anymore.