I need help and advice!

Options
I'm 5'6, 18 years old and I weigh 108 right now but I would love to get up to 118. I'm tired of being told I'm too thin and I also would love to just be a little thicker. But I'm not sure the best way to do it! I'm new to watching my health and what I eat and exercising. I would love someone to talk to about it!

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Just eat more calories, but eat healthy whole foods as opposed to processed junk foods. Add 200 cals/day to start.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'6, 18 years old and I weigh 108 right now but I would love to get up to 118. I'm tired of being told I'm too thin and I also would love to just be a little thicker. But I'm not sure the best way to do it! I'm new to watching my health and what I eat and exercising. I would love someone to talk to about it!

Are you looking to just gain weight or do you want to add some muscle too? If the former, just eat higher calorie foods which will put you over your maintenance calories. If the latter, you will want a progressive lifting program like NROL4W or Strong Curves, have a moderate surplus (250 over your maintenance calories), and some patience to bulk and potentially cut.

Reading the stickies at the top of the page is a good starting point as well.
  • gsnow597
    gsnow597 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My Lady, forgive me for saying it like this as Im 54 year old male, Firefighter fixing to retire...I guess it could sound like a Fatherly advise but here it is. Be carful what you wish for. It can pack on the wrong way! Your profile pic shows you to be a young, pretty, and fit looking young lady. Too skinny? I respect your self opinion! Well I would suggest a crossfit/iron tribe gym. While it would probably kill my old butt, they seem to make ladies look extremely fit and they seem to have a tremendous group support! Just my 2 cents! Good Luck!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is below recommended levels so adding a few pounds would likely be a good idea. It's not hard to gain weight, just eat more than you burn and you'll put on some fat and muscle, your low body weight suggests that you will add a decent amount of muscle even if you do nothing but I would recommend you add some weight lifting as well so that you are putting on some extra lean mass along with fat mass.

@psulemon has provided some good advice and those stickies are a good starting point.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I would say start lifting. I don't seeing anything healthy about putting on fat. Set MFP to gain like .5 pounds per week, eat the proper calories and then start a weight lifting program. You'll naturally gain some fat but you'll also gain muscle.