What is this 'woo' that I see..? I am so behind the times!!

Am I seeing it right..? I have seen the word 'woo' used and 'non-woo' but I can't figure out what it is about..Please help a greenhorn!! :wink:
Thanks!!! :smile:

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Woo = bunk
  • MSH2930
    MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Woo = bunk

Oh boy..still lost..lol :p
  • MSH2930
    Guessing it means crappy..? I am so lost...lol :cries: :p
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    MSH2930 wrote: »
    Am I seeing it right..? I have seen the word 'woo' used and 'non-woo' but I can't figure out what it is about..Please help a greenhorn!! :wink:
    Thanks!!! :smile:

"Woo" is an all-inclusive term used for anything that is junk science, snake oil, etc. Basically, any claim or magic weight loss product that is not backed up by science.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Examples of woo
    - " buy this multi level marketing product and lose weight "
    " carbs make you gain fat so low carb is the only way to lose weight"
    " I want abs so Bought a waist trainer "
    " low carb cures dementia and prevents all types of diseases"

Example of non woo - cico, eat less then you burn and you'll lose weight.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I also consider it anything that, while based in legitimacy, is overhyped and its benefits over exaggerated. Or something that claims to have some extra (but unproven) spiritual/existential component to it.

It's not always bad.
  • pitcherday
    pitcherday Posts: 18 Member
    Woo is pseudoscience masquerading as real science. Links to Natural News & Mercola as "evidence" is always a red flag for woo. Cure all stuff and easy weight loss. Thorsmom gave great examples of woo.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    http://skepdic.com/woowoo.html

Woo-woo (or just plain woo) refers to ideas considered irrational or based on extremely flimsy evidence or that appeal to mysterious occult forces or powers.

Here's a dictionary definition of woo-woo:

adj. concerned with emotions, mysticism, or spiritualism; other than rational or scientific; mysterious; new agey. Also n., a person who has mystical or new age beliefs.

When used by skeptics, woo-woo is a derogatory and dismissive term used to refer to beliefs one considers nonsense or to a person who holds such beliefs.

Sometimes woo-woo is used by skeptics as a synonym for pseudoscience, true-believer, or quackery. But mostly the term is used for its emotive content and is an emotive synonym for such terms as nonsense, irrational, nutter, nut, or crazy.
  • MSH2930
    Ahh, thanks..
  • ClicquotBubbles
    ClicquotBubbles Posts: 66 Member
    All I think of when I see woo

ric-flair-woo-o.gif GIFSoup
  • MSH2930
    LOL!! ^^ :smiley:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    All I think of when I see woo

ric-flair-woo-o.gif GIFSoup

LOL You beat me to it!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Mike Chang tells you if you row with a towel and drink is magic red drink that you'll get 6 pack abs in only minutes a day!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member

I'll use it in a sentence for you- A girl tried to sell me diet pills and believes all the woo and derp . she thinks that the pills will magically melt fat away and doesn't understand a calorie deficit is needed for weight loss.

Derp is the same as woo.
  • MSH2930
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

I'll use it in a sentence for you- A girl tried to sell me diet pills and believes all the woo and derp . she thinks that the pills will magically melt fat away and doesn't understand a calorie deficit is needed for weight loss.

Derp is the same as woo.

Haha, that is great!! Thanks! :smiley: