What areas of the body change when bulking?

Options
I have a few pants that I bought within the last 6 months that are now 3 sizes too big for me. I'm wondering, though, if I were to consider bulking/cutting phases, would increasing my muscle mass also increase my waist size? I don't know if I want a thicker waist than I have now...

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes - it will.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    You're likely to gain some fat all over, so yes your waist will probably increase in size
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Good to know
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    All of you will change. Your face, waist, arms, hips, butt, chest, legs. Some will be fat and hopefully some will be muscle.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Everything.
  • Protranser
    Options
    I was kinda hoping a bulk would allow me to sculpt/shape my body. I would like to maintain my waist size but increase other areas. I suppose that's silly to expect lol
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    I was kinda hoping a bulk would allow me to sculpt/shape my body. I would like to maintain my waist size but increase other areas. I suppose that's silly to expect lol

A bulk will help you shape your body, but you're going to gain some fat too. When you do a cut you'll lose that fat and have an improved shape.
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It's definitely hard to say where you'll grow and where you won't when bulking. Last year on my second bulk I put on a bit of fat in my usual fat stores but ended up looking more lean in areas like my arms and shoulders as the muscles were growing but I wasn't gaining fat there. You will ultimately sculpt your body through bulking and cutting, but bulking itself will put on fat and maybe not where you want it. Trust the process though! Good luck!
  • Protranser
    Options
    Thanks everyone. If i decide to start bulking, I'll mentally prepare myself to gain fat again o:)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Just be scientific about your approach. Know what your maintenance needs are now and increase calories sufficiently but not excessively - you do not wish to commit to a larger than needed surplus or you'll gain "extra" fat without the "extra" muscle. Most importantly, be consistent in two areas: accurately weigh and log all intake daily and weigh yourself at the same day and time, preferably first thing when waking. There are several useful threads you can check to aid you in this section if interested.
  • Protranser
    Options
    Just be scientific about your approach. Know what your maintenance needs are now and increase calories sufficiently but not excessively - you do not wish to commit to a larger than needed surplus or you'll gain "extra" fat without the "extra" muscle. Most importantly, be consistent in two areas: accurately weigh and log all intake daily and weigh yourself at the same day and time, preferably first thing when waking. There are several useful threads you can check to aid you in this section if interested.

Thanks for that suggestion! I'll Look through here more, now :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. If i decide to start bulking, I'll mentally prepare myself to gain fat again o:)

Good luck, it's a real headgame with yourself when you have worked so hard to lose that much weight then to intentionally put more fat back on. It's normal to start to want to cut again soon after bulking and seeing fat return on your gut but just resist and stick to your goals. You might have to do control days, micro cuts and other small adjustments but keep the overall trend towards your goal.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Cutting I go down to a size 32" pants, bulking gets me back up to a size 34" pants uncomfortably. Fortunately for me, the size 34" is what I wore before I got back into fitness March '14.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    My stomach.
  • Protranser
    Options
    Thanks for the great info everyone! I'm still having serious hang ups about purposely gaining weight. It's irrational, because i know how to lose it.

I think I'll drop some cardio from my current routine to create a calorie surplus when I'm ready to take the plunge. I seem to be having trouble determining how much i need to eat to maintain... Since switching my mindset to maintenance in October 2015, I've lost another 6 lbs... So yeah. One step at a time
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just made my profile pic my current bulk progress. I feel generally larger all over. Even my face filled back out.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't control where you gain.
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just made my profile pic my current bulk progress. I feel generally larger all over. Even my face filled back out.

I just completed a 4 month bulk. Gained 8. And began my cut this week. You still look fantastic.

• arditarose
    Options
    3AAnn3 wrote: »

I just completed a 4 month bulk. Gained 8. And began my cut this week. You still look fantastic.

Thanks...I gained 8 in like two months :/
  • Protranser
    Options

That's 1 lb a week gain, are you sure some is not just water weight?
  • arditarose
    Options

That's 1 lb a week gain, are you sure some is not just water weight?

I started at 128 and I weigh like 139 now. Some of it has to be water, yeah. I probably did over bulk a bit too because I started it with my Bday, then went nuts on Thanksgiving and Xmas. I kind of feel like a screw up!