What am I doing wrong?

Options
BayBay1956
BayBay1956 Posts: 37 Member
I got on the scale this morning and my weight had remained the same. When I joined MFP I was consistenly losing 2lbs per week, but last week I gained 1lb and just helded on to it. I started my journey on May 18th at 191 lbs and was 182lbs when I joined MFP. For the past two weeks I have lost nothing, nada. I walk 3 miles 5-6 days a week and try to eat back my calorie deficient, but last night I went over my 1200 calorie count. I also work out in the evenings after work (just walk), and I eat clean. I am diabetic so I need to lose this weigh to get off this medication. Any advice?

Replies

• zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. Keep plugging away. Ive had weeks where the scale wouldnt move and then one week, BOOM I lose the weight. So you went over 1200 cal one day, unless you are grossly going over everyday I wouldnt worry about it. You've got this!
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Honestly? You may not be eating enough calories. 1200 is pretty low for someone at your weight and your body might be holding onto the weight because you are essentially starving it. Try adding a couple of hundred calories per day. I'm currently 174lbs and eating around 1500cals per day (and losing consistently).
  • joestrasz
    joestrasz Posts: 1
    Options
    If your weight isn't shifting try new things out with your Diet and exercise. Have you ever thought about searching anything on Youtube for exercise routines? If you're walking most days the same distance your body will get used to your pattern of exercise. Your body is a fat storing machine so it will adapt to your exercise to keep its fat. You need to shock it into loosing those last few pounds. It's all hard work but, keep at it and keep pushing yourself to do more and the results will happen. Besides that everyone has a cheat day when it comes to a Diet so don't worry.
  • Shaylam82
    Shaylam82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Honestly? You may not be eating enough calories. 1200 is pretty low for someone at your weight and your body might be holding onto the weight because you are essentially starving it. Try adding a couple of hundred calories per day. I'm currently 174lbs and eating around 1500cals per day (and losing consistently).

This.

I am also diabetic and I dont follow the MFP suggested calories. I follow the TDEE formula and try to make sure I eat enough. I am 243lbs and currently try to eat around 1900 calories. I do between 35-75 minutes of aerobics a day and I am also breastfeeding. If I eat too far below 1900 I am dragging.

One of the most important things as a diabetic is to watch your carbs. Also check and see how your numbers are. I find that if my sugar is running high it is very hard to lose anything. This is normally fixed by eating more protein and less carbs.

Remember that this is a process and sometimes you hit plateaus you just gotta stick with it :) I have only been "back on the wagon" for just under a month and I am having great results thus far. Stick with it!!
  • jkay123
    jkay123 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes!

I'm just back "on the wagon" too, but I notice that I lose more consistently when I eat my BMR. I think 1200 calories a day plus exercise is way too few.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hi BayBay. Can you make your diary public (check the settings area)? Then people might be able to give you some specific suggestions.

I'm about your age and losing weight on a regular basis. I cut out all junk food and sweets because I can't eat them in moderation. My diary is public. You're welcome to take a look and get some ideas. My menu is simple and isn't for everybody, but I'm losing weight so it works for me.

You can do this. Sometimes it takes time. You're probably gaining muscle. Track your measurements. If the scale says you aren't losing, but your measurements are getting better, then you're doing well.
  • LYNN8SUPERSTAR
    Options
    I have lost 140lbs and was diebetic , one of mfp post a article that i think will be helpful to you

roetheengineer ???? Article: PLEASE READ LADIES!!! By Chalene Johnson Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, "Help! I'm gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?" This is a common phenomenon with any new exercise program, such as Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, or others! It's especially common (and temporary) with intense strength training programslike ChaLEAN Extreme or Tony Horton's P90X. The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight. However, what most personal trainers know--and most at-home exercisers do not--is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn't say weight gain! I'll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit. The temporary weight gain explained: When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS. This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens, the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen due to fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling. Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated, become discouraged and quit! When I worked with a group of 70 test participants during the development stages of ChaLEAN Extreme, this happened. Who was the most upset and discouraged? You guessed it... the women! I'm happy to report absolutely for every single woman (and man) in our group, the weight increase was temporary and never lasted more than two weeks before they started to see a major drop in the scale. However, these people had the advantage of working with someone who was able to explain to them why this was happening and assure them the weight would come off if they stuck to the nutrition plan and stayed true to the program. If you follow a multi-phase exercise plan, such as ChaLEAN Extreme, keep in mind that when you start each phase, your body will be "in shock" again. Don't be surprised or discouraged if you experience a temporary gain on the scale the first week of each phase. My own personal example of this is running 10Ks. I don't do it very often, maybe once or twice a year. Even though I run on a regular basis, when you run a race, you push much harder. It's natural for me to be insanely sore the next day. It’s also very common for me to see the scale jump 4 pounds the next day from forcing fluids post race and the resulting DOMS. Even though I know the cause of it, it's still a bummer. We're all human and hard work should mean results. Hard work equals results, but our bodies are amazing machines and they know how to protect us from hurting ourselves. Soreness forces you to give those muscles a break. Ultimately you will lose the weight and you will change your metabolism in the process. The key is understanding that this is a normal and temporary and stick with the program! When to be concerned: If you experience a significant weight gain (exceeding 5 pounds) that does not begin to decrease rapidly after the second week, guess what it is? I'll give you one hint... you put it in your mouth and chew it. You know it! Your food (or calorie-laden beverages). News flash, friends… exercise doesn't make you gain weight. Consuming more food than you burn makes you gain weight! So if after two weeks you are not losing weight and have gained weight that's not coming off, it's time to take a close and honest look at your food intake. Start using SparkPeople's Nutrition Tracker regularly, and be honest. Moral of the story: Be patient young grass hopper. You'll be lean and mean in no time! :smile:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I got on the scale this morning and my weight had remained the same. When I joined MFP I was consistenly losing 2lbs per week, but last week I gained 1lb and just helded on to it. I started my journey on May 18th at 191 lbs and was 182lbs when I joined MFP. For the past two weeks I have lost nothing, nada. I walk 3 miles 5-6 days a week and try to eat back my calorie deficient, but last night I went over my 1200 calorie count. I also work out in the evenings after work (just walk), and I eat clean. I am diabetic so I need to lose this weigh to get off this medication. Any advice?

My advice - be kind to yourself. You will hit these spots where it all grinds to a halt. I stopped losing weight for a couple of months! But I kept going and suddenly it started moving again.

Also - are you measuring yourself? You're doing lots of exercise, so you might be toning up, and muscle weighs more than fat, so maybe you are losing fat, but building muscle. If you're also noticing waistbands a little easier, sleeves looser, buttons straining a little less you're doing great. But it will take a while. I started in November and last week passed the two stone mark. Some weeks I lost 2 lbs some weeks nothing. It's hard now when you can't see past the place where you don't want to be any more, but believe me, the day will come when you look back and realise how far you've come. It really really will! :flowerforyou:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options

My advice - be kind to yourself. You will hit these spots where it all grinds to a halt. I stopped losing weight for a couple of months! But I kept going and suddenly it started moving again.

Also - are you measuring yourself? You're doing lots of exercise, so you might be toning up, and muscle weighs more than fat, so maybe you are losing fat, but building muscle. If you're also noticing waistbands a little easier, sleeves looser, buttons straining a little less you're doing great. But it will take a while. I started in November and last week passed the two stone mark. Some weeks I lost 2 lbs some weeks nothing. It's hard now when you can't see past the place where you don't want to be any more, but believe me, the day will come when you look back and realise how far you've come. It really really will! :flowerforyou:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options

My advice - be kind to yourself. Don't assume you're doing anything *wrong*! You will hit these spots where it all grinds to a halt. I stopped losing weight for a couple of months! But I kept going and suddenly it started moving again.

• Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Ooops sorry! Connection got stuck, and I kept hitting post reply - can't delete the duplicates though :blushing:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    OP, as others have said check your clothes first. Do they fit better than they did a few weeks ago?

Then check your body - is it easier to reach your toes/do up your trainers?

Finally check your portions. Do you weigh everything? This is especially important for you if you are watching your carbs to control your diabetes. 75g of pasta is a sensible portion, but uncooked it just looks like you've spilt a bit:laugh: same with things like rice, couscous, cereal etc.

I recommend setting yourself to sedentary and logging (and eating back) all your exercise, alo set yourself to lose 1lb a week - 1200 calories is very low. (I put mine up to 1400 because I was too hungry to live with :wink: )

Good luck!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. Keep plugging away. Ive had weeks where the scale wouldnt move and then one week, BOOM I lose the weight. So you went over 1200 cal one day, unless you are grossly going over everyday I wouldnt worry about it. You've got this!

I agree with this. I don't know if 1200 calories is too low or not but you're not going into "starvation mode". You're working hard and going over a little one day will have no impact on your loss. Its total deficit not daily so really don't stress over that. It will happen if you stay focused on your goal and tweak what you do along your journey!:flowerforyou:
  • nehalsd
    nehalsd Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im the same!

I have.not.budged an inch in three weeks!

I am on clean food - 1200 calories a day and 6 small meals a day. I also exercise 4 times a weeks (1 strength, 1 yoga and the rest cardio). I have not moved from my 143 pounds.

What am I doing wrong?! Its driving me insane.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Im the same!

I have.not.budged an inch in three weeks!

I am on clean food - 1200 calories a day and 6 small meals a day. I also exercise 4 times a weeks (1 strength, 1 yoga and the rest cardio). I have not moved from my 143 pounds.

What am I doing wrong?! Its driving me insane.

I'd change around your workouts to start and to 2 strength, 1 yoga and the rest cardio. For people with pre-diabetes and PCOS (as seen in your profile) strength training and less cardio has been shown to be much more effective for increasing insulin sensitivity, which will help reverse diabetes and get PCOS under control.

In addition limiting carbs and sugar are essential for both diabetics and PCOS patients.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!