Which deadlift do you pull? Conventional or Sumo (butt)

Options
If you watch broscience you know what eating butt means.

I started out learning sumo, but as I became more experienced found that conventional is much faster and stronger for me.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    When I started I regularly switched between conventional and sumo, then spent a year doing only conventional. I recently switched back to sumo and I feel SO much better.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Conventional. I need to get my mobility better so I can practice sumo some, but conventional is where its at for me.

Last time I pulled sumo I hurt myself because well, I'm an idiot.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I have weird body morphology where I'm built for sumo so it's very easy for me to get in, but I needed to work on mobility for conventional.

Yea, sumo can be very taxing on the hips.
  • krissykillstheweight
    Options
    Definetly conventional
  • ovidnine
    Options
    It was actually something in my hamstring/knee. It was the leg I hurt slipping on ice last winter and I hadn't been pulling sumo at all and decided to try it with my conventional working weight.

Dumb move. Nothing serious, but I haven't given sumo a shot again. lol
  • Warchortle
    Options
    Glad the injury wasn't bad.

I stopped pulling sumo when my foot slipped and my pinky toe clipped while the weight was coming down.

I aint' a bout that crushed foot life.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I do worry about my hips a bit. I have to give them extra love with the foam roller and a tennis ball now.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Conventional, for the most part. I started working on sumo and I do a couple of sets once a week but it feels awkward to me.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    I actually added kettle bell swings into my hypertrophy day instead of barbell hip thrusts.. It feels good on the hips and also is a little more volume for them gloots.
  • ovidnine
    Options
    Warchortle wrote: »

I stopped pulling sumo when my foot slipped and my pinky toe clipped while the weight was coming down.

Yikes! That would've been bad!

Sumo was so weird because the range of motion is so short. It wasn't easier for me, it was just a weird feeling after the weight broke the floor and "Oh, hey, its up!"

• arditarose
    Options
    I actually added kettle bell swings into my hypertrophy day instead of barbell hip thrusts.. It feels good on the hips and also is a little more volume for them gloots.

in-ter-esting. I haven't done a kettle bell swing in a long long day. Might be a nice addition/change to my program.
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Sumo
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I prefer conventional
  • Warchortle
    Options
    ovidnine wrote: »

Sumo was so weird because the range of motion is so short. It wasn't easier for me, it was just a weird feeling after the weight broke the floor and "Oh, hey, its up!"

Giggity? lol.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

in-ter-esting. I haven't done a kettle bell swing in a long long day. Might be a nice addition/change to my program.

I have a friend that gets hip issues too and he was skeptical too, but ended up liking it. I honestly thought kettle bells was for hippie muthafukkahs but honestly. They're bomb AF.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Modified sumo. Hands are just on the knurling, legs just outside the hands. Works best for me.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    Nice, I like the idea of modified sumo for the greater recruitment of the quads. Breaking the floor can be a real pain in the *kitten* (literally) with sumo with ultra wide stances.
  • ovidnine
    Options

Giggity? lol.

lol
  • Warchortle
    Options

Giggity? lol.

lol

I also feel that way when hip drive is really fast and I'm like.. fak? I'm locked out already? When hips fire too late.. the deadlift feels like it's so far away.
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I have a friend that gets hip issues too and he was skeptical too, but ended up liking it. I honestly thought kettle bells was for hippie muthafukkahs but honestly. They're bomb AF.

Yeah I know. I had the same feeling about them lol. I don't know if I can give up hip thrusts tho. That's my money lift.