i want to loose weight but want to gain muscle

Options
Hello everyone.....I'm looking for new friends from all walks of life...positive friends that can give me some tips on what to do next....we are all here for the same reason to be healthy, look stronger, feel better what my goal is to loose weight but I want to gain muscle how do I do that? I don't know...I've had alot of people tell me I'm going to look bulky.....alot say fat turns into muscle? I don't know but I hope someone out there can help me understand I also will love to make new recipes ;)

Add me :)

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    In order to lose weight, you need to eat under your daily calorie needs.
    Exercising helps with health, doesn't usually burn enough to matter (easy to eat 400 cal, hard to burn).
    (ETA: Weight loss is only about calories in being less than calories out.
    Health is about where those calories come from. Eat a varied diet.)

In order to gain muscle, you need to eat slightly above your daily calorie needs,
    toward the high end of the safe/healthy protein %*,
    and repeatedly move heavy things.

* (See link to blog post below. Toward the end of that post is a link to & quote from an
    article by the professional society for dieticians, explaining the healthy macro ranges.)

See how those are mutually exclusive goals?
    Usually, at least. A calculator I've been using claims that as I lost 80+ lb, most of it was fat, but I
    actually gained a few lb of muscle. I think it's measurement error. Most likely I simply maintained
    what muscle I had to start with. I'm OK with that.

Here are some useful newbie-help threads.
    Definitely read sexypants.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

Here's a blog post I did about goal setting, including weight, calories, and macros.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045
    It has links to more helpful & reliable resources.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Fat does not turn into muscle, and for the most part-you don't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. There is something called body recomposition, which can allow a little fat loss and muscle gain, but it is done when you are at a lower body fat %.

Right now, if you need to lose fat-you eat at a deficit to lose fat, and lift heavy to maintain the muscle you have. When we lose weight, we lose fat AND muscle-the more muscle you save, the better your body composition is and the more you'll have to work with when it's time to recomp or gain muscle. A beginner lifting in a deficit may gain a little muscle, but I would not count on it.

So, eat at a deficit, get on a structured lifting or bodyweight program-and you're on your way. Some lifting programs are: Strong Lifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Curves. Bodyweight programs: Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Esme wrote:
    I've had alot [sic] of people tell me I'm going to look bulky.
    If you're a normal, natural woman,
    with normal, natural amounts of female/male hormones (yes, we all have both),
    you will not "get bulky"!!!!!
    It's really hard for women to bulk up unless they're using illegal drugs.

Go have a look at Sara's pictures: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/sarauk2sf
    Does she look bulky? I don't think so. (I think she looks amazing.)
    Know what?
    She's a very very very strong woman, who competes in weightlifting.

alot [sic] say fat turns into muscle?
    Completely different tissue.
    Would you think that blood can turn into bone? Probably not, because you know they're made of
    quite different stuff.
    The only way fat can turn into muscle is by fueling your weightlifting efforts.
  • EsmeStarz87
    EsmeStarz87 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying I'm going to look at Sarah s piks :)
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Esme wrote:

Go have a look at Sara's pictures: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/sarauk2sf
    Know what?

Would you think that blood can turn into bone? Probably not, because you know they're made of
    quite different stuff.

• EsmeStarz87
    Options
    Thank you for replying I apretiate it alot it helps me understand more of how this works ;) I will defenatly keep in mind everything you guys comment :)@MKEgal

]Fat does not turn into muscle, and for the most part-you don't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. There is something called body recomposition, which can allow a little fat loss and muscle gain, but it is done when you are at a lower body fat %.

Right now, if you need to lose fat-you eat at a deficit to lose fat, and lift heavy to maintain the muscle you have. When we lose weight, we lose fat AND muscle-the more muscle you save, the better your body composition is and the more you'll have to work with when it's time to recomp or gain muscle. A beginner lifting in a deficit may gain a little muscle, but I would not count on it.

So, eat at a deficit, get on a structured lifting or bodyweight program-and you're on your way. Some lifting programs are: Strong Lifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Curves. Bodyweight programs: Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym[/quote]
    arditarose wrote: »
    Fat does not turn into muscle, and for the most part-you don't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. There is something called body recomposition, which can allow a little fat loss and muscle gain, but it is done when you are at a lower body fat %.

So, eat at a deficit, get on a structured lifting or bodyweight program-and you're on your way. Some lifting programs are: Strong Lifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Curves. Bodyweight programs: Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym
    Esme wrote:

Know what?

quite different stuff.

• EsmeStarz87
    Options
    ]Thank you for replying I apretiate it alot it helps me understand more of how this works ;) I will defenatly keep in mind everything you guys comment :)@MKEgal

]Fat does not turn into muscle, and for the most part-you don't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. There is something called body recomposition, which can allow a little fat loss and muscle gain, but it is done when you are at a lower body fat %.

So, eat at a deficit, get on a structured lifting or bodyweight program-and you're on your way. Some lifting programs are: Strong Lifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Curves. Bodyweight programs: Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym[/quote]
    arditarose wrote: »

Esme wrote:

Know what?

quite different stuff.

[/quote]

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I've been losing fat and gaining muscle for the last year. Feel free to add if you like :) ATM I'm actually not losing fat anymore I'm bulking on purpose to gain more muscle, but I spent a whole year losing fat through weight lifting.

Wont get into it here on the forum as everyone has already said what needs to be said but happy to help. Open diary (I wouldn't recomment my current foods though - I'd be going for earlier examples!!!)

:)
  • EsmeStarz87
    Options
    Thank you soooo much!!!!! @Camilacreme I really feel u understand my weird question thank you u u I will add u
  • wykkedtruth
    wykkedtruth Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too. New to myfitnesspals. Have done the weight loss journey once before. Now Im losing/toning and hoping to gain more muscle mass.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between gaining strength and gaining muscle mass. You CAN lose weight/fat and gain strength at the same time. This is what I've been doing for 19 months. If you lose weight and dont strength train, you will lose muscle mass which is very hard to get back. If you strength train, you will NOT get bulky. Almost impossible for women to get bulky.
  • EsmeStarz87
    Options
    Thank you so much for commenting on this question I had i apretiate you're time....I have had so many different answers It's overwhelming and I don't know where to start, how,lol.....but thank you so much for you're comment @lorrpb