Options
betsij
betsij Posts: 299 Member
Sorry I have no idea :tongue:

Replies

• lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    5 sets of 5 reps each, I believe. It is a type of strength training program.
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Exactly.

Which ever strength exercise you do (5x5 normally focuses on Compound lifts like Squats Bench press and so on) you complete 5 sets of 5 repetitions.

Its a good starter program. go and look at http://stronglifts.com/
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options

This.

Although, for deadlifts you normally only do 1 set of 5 reps, preceded by sufficient warm up sets. Also, depending on the program, you would be doing 5 sets of 5 reps with the same weight across all sets (StrongLifts) or ramping weight (Starr 5x5).

Example:
    By ramping weight, I mean doing the following sets for squats: 5x135, 5x185, 5x225, 5x275, 5x315.
    With StrongLifts, you'd be doing all 5 sets at 5x225.
  • weightsoverdates
    Options
    Like the guys said 5 x 5 is a weight training style that focuses on compound moves, if you follow the 'official' 5 x 5 program it will focus on roughly 3 lifts a week covering bench press, squat, deadlift, overhead press and the bent over row.

The primary goal of 5 x 5 is to increase strength and give beginner and advance lifters that extra kick they generally need to beat PR's and focuses minimal on aesthetics (which is generally between 8 - 12 reps).

However with that said 5 x 5 can be used on heaps of other exercises (compound moves are best) like pull-ups, shoulder press and wide grip seated rows.

What's important to remember is that the 5 x 5 program will start you off slowly and build up your weight, however 5 x 5 can also be utilized during your current training regime, however because you want to be lifting at approximately 80 - 85% of your 1RM it's best if you seek out an educated and experienced training partner/personal trainer.
  • betsij
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I want to start lifting, I like where my body is going now I am ready to tighten things up! I really need to do my homework though it sounds.

:smile:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    starting strength by mark rippatoe is a great book to pick up. so is 'new rules of lifting for women.'
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If you go to www.bodybuilding.com, there is a wealth of programs, including several versions of the 5x5 that work well for men and women. I've been on a 5x5 program for four weeks now after I got off a 12 week program and I've seen about a 15% increase in strength across the board in my bench, squat, deadlift, miltary press, and bentover row.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I love SL5x5! I have been doing it for 8 weeks and see so many wonderful changes in how my muscles look and feel under my skin.
  • betsij
    Options
    I dont belong to a gym, but I do have a fairly new bowflex at home and some free weights, I use them a little but do not really have a routine. I hope I can make these items work for me.