Taking Nutrition Research with a grain of salt

Options
jgnatca
jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
I like that the MFP crowd values science over fluff. Here's a witty article that explains the fundamental flaws with much of current nutrition research reliant on self reported food logs.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/you-cant-trust-what-you-read-about-nutrition/

I can see why a much more controlled longitudinal study is required. A few of them.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Usually, I like 538 but this is close to nonsense:
    Sure, memory-based measures have limitations, said Brenda Davy, a professor of human nutrition at Virginia Tech, “but most of us in the nutrition world still believe they have value.”

• jgnatca
    Options
    It's not like the article supported that professor's conclusion!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    So, the author is just a journalist, right?
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The stuff she is talking about is known about all qualitative research. Is this her way of giving a person a crash course in statistics and data analysis? I do market research. We learn how to mitigate bias, deal with measurement inconsistencies, and errors. I don't understand what she wants us to gather from this. That there is variability and interpretation in qualitative data?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    The stuff she is talking about is known about all qualitative research. Is this her way of giving a person a crash course in statistics and data analysis? I do market research. We learn how to mitigate bias, deal with measurement inconsistencies, and errors. I don't understand what she wants us to gather from this. That there is variability and interpretation in qualitative data?

I believe the point is that nutritional research of this type is qualitative and not quantitative. Many people assume all 'research' is quantitative and interpret the results similarly to results you'd get from, say, an enzyme kinetics study. Many people don't realize how many pitfalls there are in research and take it at face value.

It's sad to say that there are not a few of my Investigator co-workers who do this. And they are trained to know better.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I take every single thing in life with a grain of salt!

I stopped reading this ridiculous article after a few paragraphs.. It was pointless and way too long..

• jgnatca
    Options
    Ah, I am a data nerd. I found the argument thorough and compelling. Well worth the read for me, and I may link it every time someone cites a study as justification, say, for cutting beef.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

So only field applicable Ph.D holders are allowed to speak? Because if so I'd be happy to only discuss things on forums like this with my peers...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Ah, I am a data nerd. I found the argument thorough and compelling. Well worth the read for me, and I may link it every time someone cites a study as justification, say, for cutting beef.

Agreed. It explains the issues with multiple comparisons, recall bias, and correlation studies really well in lay terms. I also thought it was a great read.
  • lyttlewon
    edited January 2016
    Options

Why? Not every qualitative study uses poor data collection. I think you would be better served to look at the studies themselves, not the media synopsis, and then determine what is going on. If the concern is that people think correlation equals causation, or that they are cutting beef out of their diets at a nutritional detriment, well then I would think the article is worth linking.

Not eating beef isn't specifically harmful on it's own.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Why? Not every qualitative study uses poor data collection. I think you would be better served to look at the studies themselves, not the media synopsis, and then determine what is going on. If the concern is that people think correlation equals causation, or that they are cutting beef out of their diets at a nutritional detriment, well then I would think the article is worth linking.

Not eating beef isn't specifically harmful on it's own.

But part of the explanation can then provide tools to interpret the potential flaws (or not) to people who don't understand some of the downfalls of these types of studies.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    All these limitations, but I propose we develop brainless clones with accelerated aging that we can plug nutrients into (for science!) and people just look at me funny, or look for pitch forks.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Did you read the article @lyttlewon ? The article describes how dangerous it is to correlate and gives some charmingly creative examples. Of course there's nothing wrong with beef. The article says so, and why.

@senecarr perhaps the closest thing we have to brainless clones with accelerated aging are pigs.
  • lyttlewon
    Options
    Did you read the article @lyttlewon ? The article describes how dangerous it is to correlate and gives some charmingly creative examples. Of course there's nothing wrong with beef. The article says so, and why.

@senecarr perhaps the closest thing we have to brainless clones with accelerated aging are pigs.

I skimmed the article. The information wasn't anything I didn't already know, so I didn't find what she said particularly interesting. I found all the gigantic graphics, and her writing style, irritating. That's really the only reason I posted. Most of the time I ignore conversations about whether the layperson is educated enough to understand scientific studies.
  • senecarr
    Options

Oh good, I can scratch long from long pork in my proposal for what to with the bodies when done.
  • senecarr
    Options

I skimmed the article. The information wasn't anything I didn't already know, so I didn't find what she said particularly interesting. I found all the gigantic graphics, and her writing style, irritating. That's really the only reason I posted. Most of the time I ignore conversations about whether the layperson is educated enough to understand scientific studies.

Certainly working in marketing research, you can appreciate why the giant infographics are there though, right?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Certainly working in marketing research, you can appreciate why the giant infographics are there though, right?

I would think gigantic annoying graphics are particularly for people who skim articles...
  • lyttlewon
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Yes I certainly can. There's an old joke one of my instructors had; If you don't have anything to say, you can at least say it in color.
  • lyttlewon
    Options
    @jgnatca I think I derailed your thread, and I didn't really intend to. Discussions about correlation and causation are beneficial to have. Obviously I brought my own bias reading the article.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

So only field applicable Ph.D holders are allowed to speak? Because if so I'd be happy to only discuss things on forums like this with my peers...

Yes, that's exactly what I said (not!). Geez Louise.