How to lose weight with exercising (?)

Options
Hey :)

I recently started exercising at our local gym (it's one of those cheap ones, so i dont have the possibility to talk to a trainer there)

I am looking for a workout plan or sth similiar in order to lose weight/body fat... i couldnt find any useful sites yet :(

My question: How have you lost weight with exercise? Srength training? Cardio? A mixture?

I am currently doing 15 min of cardio (treadmill) followed by 45 minutes of lifting weights with machines and some free weights ... i am trying to use weights that allow me to do 3 reps with 6-12 reps.

Is this in any way efficient? I am also trying to split my exercises, so I'll train my legs on one day, my abs the next, then my arms etc...
I'm rather ignoring cardio, is this a big problem??

Somebody please help! :)

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    How many days/hours are you able to work out at the local gym?

Regarding your routine now, I think anyone that's new to strength training will do well almost with anything they do initially. But you may find faster progress towards your bodyfat loss goals by implementing someworkouts that are based around compound exercises, such as Overhead Press, Deadlifts, Bench Press, and Squats. This would replace the muscle group splits that you are doing now. You would pick one of the above exercises and do that initially, and then there would be other "accessory" exercises you would do after that main exercise.

There's a popular book that people talk about called "The New Rules of Lifting For Women" and there's a group here on MFP that have a lot of good links/threads with information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

A couple of other suggestions.

1. 5-10 minute warm-up (light cardio), some light weight shoulder exercises, then strength training. If you want to do more steady-state cardio, do it after the strength training or on a separate day.

2. Regarding your remarks about a trainer, check with the staff to see if you are allowed to have an independent trainer come and work with you? If so, ask for recommendations/suggestions or see if you can find one in the newspaper, Craigs Lists, Yellow Pages, etc.

Hope this is of some help, good luck to you!