Question about Propel Water

Options
I used to be addicted to Mountain Dew pretty bad. I could easily drink a 2L per day at home, plus 2-3 16oz bottles at work.

I wanted to start losing weight and since I only eat twice a day, Lunch at work, and Dinner at home. I realized that the soft drink is where a lot of my calories were coming from. So back in December, about a week before Christmas, I cut Mountain Dew entirely from my intake. The first week was rough, I was having caffeine headaches, and I would have trouble staying awake when getting home, but pushed through it, and around Christmas I started waking up feeling more energized and just overall felt better.

I've been drinking about 4-5 16oz Propels a day since quitting Mountain Dew because it does taste pretty good. Is drinking that much Propel a bad thing?

Replies

• kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hello, I think it's great you reduced your Mountain Dew intake congrats! Have you considering eating 4-5 times a day ? I noticed previously when I ate 2 times I was usually hungry for something sugary later on. Eating breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and then dinner really helped me ration my calories out and lose weight! I personally don't drink propel it's just pricey water for me I think. Drinking regular water is just as good.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Love Propel! If price is an issue you can buy the flavor packet (box of 10 for $2 US at Walmart) and mix your own with municipal water. Propel doesn't have the high sugar and caffeine content of a Dew so it's probably an improvement.

Full disclosure....I drink a can of diet Dew daily. I used to drink a c-store cup daily, so I'm improving too.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I occasionally was doing the mt dew too. I had to stop because it did not fit into my day. I do not know what propel is. Is it calorie free? 'Seems like a good idea. :)
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The only potential drawbacks are the price and if you feel funny about artificial sweeteners. (I don't). If you want to drink less Propel, either alternate with plain water, or dilute it with plain water.
  • dixonjt89
    dixonjt89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yeah it's calorie free

http://www.foodfacts.com/ci/nutritionfacts/water/propel-zero-water-beverage-nutrient-enhanced-zero-calorie-berry-20-fl-oz/57943

it's pretty high in sodium, and i've heard that it's sweetened with Sucralose (Splenda), so i didn't know if consuming too much Splenda would be bad for you
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I occasionally was doing the mt dew too. I had to stop because it did not fit into my day. I do not know what propel is. Is it calorie free? 'Seems like a good idea. :)

Propel is zero calorie water sweetened with sucralose and with added vitamin C & E. They also make one with added electrolytes (like a high end Gatorade).

Personally, the expense compared to the benefits is outrageous compared to plain water but if the cost is not an issue, go for it. Something else you can try is plain water flavored with extracts. I use about 1/4 tsp per liter and it tastes just like the flavored seltzer without the fizz.
  • dixonjt89
    dixonjt89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Propel is zero calorie water sweetened with sucralose and with added vitamin C & E. They also make one with added electrolytes (like a high end Gatorade).

Personally, the expense compared to the benefits is outrageous compared to plain water but if the cost is not an issue, go for it. Something else you can try is plain water flavored with extracts. I use about 1/4 tsp per liter and it tastes just like the flavored seltzer without the fizz.

Yeah I might start getting some spring water as well, and maybe just drink propel when I'm having a meal or working out.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    dixonjt89 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

Yeah I might start getting some spring water as well, and maybe just drink propel when I'm having a meal or working out.

Or you can just go with diet Mt Dew (assuming the caffeine isn't an issue). Propel is nothing more than a clear diet soda with a couple of vitamins