I hate my kitchen

Options
I'm good with my diet when I'm at work or away from home. But once I get home... look out!! How do you avoid this? I'm tempted to just stay out of the kitchen entirely (but my wife won't like that when she wants me to do dishes!!). I know it's all motivation and self control, but it really feels like right now I have none once I get home from work. Any tips?

Replies

• kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    What exactly do you hate about it? If you're bored-snacking, try doing something distracting instead of eating. If you graze around the kitchen, stop yourself before grabbing any food item and go for a walk around the block until you forget about it.

Just a little reminder I tell myself: If you're hungry, drink water. If you're still hungry after about 20 minutes, ask yourself if you're willing to snack on carrots or an apple or something equally nutritious. If you're not willing, it's just a craving and you should drink more water. If you are willing, go ahead and eat a little snack; just remember portion control :happy:
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Don't have anything that is "easy". if you only have healthy food that you have make, its less likely you will snack. If snacking is the issue
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options
    I feel your pain. I get so tired too. I go online and try and get recipes and ideas. There is always something online that I can do with the ingredients I have at home. One thing I do is prepare it, cook it from scratch. That way I know I am doing the right thing.
  • heidihunt357
    heidihunt357 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When trying to improve yourself, you have to find a balance. I love my kitchen. It is where I get to be me in many ways. I read all the time about how people just stop buying certain foods so they do not eat it. For those who have to do that would not be happy in my house. I buy sweets and have desert (almost) every night. About 4 months ago something snapped in me and I started looing weight after 7 years of trying and failing. I really haven't changed anything about my life though. Admittedly I have seriously stopped the intake of snacks. But I still have it around my house every where, included right next to me right now in a jar I keep filled with candy all the time. I haven't touched in it 4 months except to refill it for my kids and hubby.
    Until you, and I mean you and no one else, can find your middle ground with food and health it not easy and yes the kitchen is going to be a hard place to be.

I love how someone said drink water. They are right. if you drink water throughout the day then you will not feel the need to snack as much. It will also help you to have more energy by allowing your body to stay hydrated and give you better motion and control. Sounds silly but it is true.

I honestly think for me though, knowing will be having my desert it helps me to want less snack type foods. Find your food balance and every room in your home will be a joy to be in, even if you are doing dishes. (Mostly because you will be able to make a better and less fat and calorie snack, dinner, desert , or anything else you want. And it is a great way to bring families together.)

Good Luck!