Body weight squats

Options
Can one achieve a round raised bottom with just body weight squats? Obviously weighted squats are the very best, but I wondered how far one could get without. Just like doing different types of squats daily. I'm doing weighted right now, but I was curious. I am assuming it would take longer as well as many reps. What do you think?

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm in for the answer here. Just googled (or yahoo'd). Found some great body weight exercises, but no real answer to this (at a quick glance).
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I've been looking on pinterest (I know...) and most of the buts on there are not the result of a 30 day challenge. like, you can tell they've been lifting heavy and eating right for a while. I expect that maybe it could get a little tighter looking and a bit perkier, but I don't know long or how many squats it would take to get there...
    Frank Medrano is awesome. He does some amazing stuff, if he's the one I'm thinking of. If not, he's still got his stuff down. No joke.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    I found this interesting! https://www.t-nation.com/training/flat-butt-fix
    I have never had a flat but, although this article seems to make interesting sense.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I've been looking on pinterest (I know...) and most of the buts on there are not the result of a 30 day challenge. like, you can tell they've been lifting heavy and eating right for a while. I expect that maybe it could get a little tighter looking and a bit perkier, but I don't know long or how many squats it would take to get there...
    Frank Medrano is awesome. He does some amazing stuff, if he's the one I'm thinking of. If not, he's still got his stuff down. No joke.

most of those photos are photo shopped….and why are you comparing other people bottoms to yours? They have different genetics, etc so not sure how that helps.

you can do body weight squats but eventually you are going to need to go to heavier squats to see additional improvement.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    Not comparing my own, just others to others by their claim. Progression type stuff. I already do weighted...
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day squat challenge. No photoshop here.
    6bkjuxiu4hmy.jpeg
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    Thanks for the pic!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Anything that you do more than you're doing now will help. Will you get a super round tush overnight? No. Will the muscles get stronger? Yes. Will the strength improve appearance? Yes.

Think of your body now at status quo. Anything you do that is beyond status quo WILL make a difference. The extent of that difference depends on time and volume and load... So ten body weight squats won't give the same results at 10 weighted squats... But it will improve on 0 squats of any type.

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    Amen!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Brett Contreras (The Glute Guy) has a progression list of lower body exercises (see link, pages 8 & 9) that all start with body weight. That'd be a good place to start.
    http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/List-of-Progressions.pdf
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    Thanks for that link!