Thoughts on Complexes?

Options
I have never heard of them before but it sounds interesting. Has anyone done this before?
Here's a link to the article https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/3-complexes-for-rapid-female-fat-loss

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I haven't done them, but it's pretty much the basis for a lot of programs (like P90X, Hammer & Chisel, etc..) where you have short periods of rest (highly anaerobic). So it's pretty much cardio weights which can lead to burning more calories.

Mostly want to follow to see if anyone has done it.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    look up "bear complex"
    hate me later
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nice. Sounds kinda awesome! Like some kinda weightlifting break dance. Looking up a video now. Yeah, awesome!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I do some dumbbell squat/curl/shoulder press complexes as a warmup from time to time or as part of circuit training. Gets the blood pumping pretty quickly.

But I got aced by a young girl doing a burpee/squat/curl/shoulder press complex and making it look easy.

BTW, time for a rant - hate the article's marketing twaddle about "rapid female fat loss", it just an exercise not magic!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    I agree with your rant!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've done the Waterbury dumbbell complex. Over Christmas we were at a hotel. The dumbbell complex was perfect for a workout there because they only had dumbbells. I liked it and would (will) do it again at some point.

My suggestion with complexes is to use lifts that you know how to do. If there is a new one in the complex you are looking at, work on it before attempting it in the middle of the complex. You always have to pay attention to form, of course, but knowing an exercise well enough that the form is more natural rather than having to think about it a ton makes the routine go better.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    That's great advise. I will try that. I had been doing exercises kinda like complexes except I was moving between core, upper and lower body as a break from whatever area I was working on. Like if I did shoulder press, I would go right to squats, then halo, chest press to bent rows etc. All over the place I realize now. I like this idea of complexes and appreciate your experience and advise. I'm looking forward to trying this as intentioned to see how I like it.
    Thanks everyone!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That's great advise. I will try that. I had been doing exercises kinda like complexes except I was moving between core, upper and lower body as a break from whatever area I was working on. Like if I did shoulder press, I would go right to squats, then halo, chest press to bent rows etc. All over the place I realize now. I like this idea of complexes and appreciate your experience and advise. I'm looking forward to trying this as intentioned to see how I like it.
    Thanks everyone!

I do some of what you just described there. I do it based loosely on this article--30 seconds upper, 30 seconds lower, 30 seconds core, run 90 seconds.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    I checked it out. I like it but I'm not sure I am willing to do the cardio part yet. I get pretty winded doing weights anyway. Maybe I just need to work up to it. I saw the dumbell uppercut video on there. That looked fun. I've done punch outs and liked them. Thanks again!