Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Any chance for the re-occurrence of a hernia?

Hi all,
Is there any chance for the occurrence of a hernia even after the surgery? I’m a 43-year-old woman. I was a hernia patient and recently had a surgery for it with the help of a well-known hernia surgeon in Shouldice hospital. I feel better now. But one of my friends told that there is a chance for the occurrence of a hernia even after the surgery, especially for a woman. Does anyone have such experience? Please share it. Is there anything to be considered to avoid the reoccurrence of this disease? Advice me in my concerns. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• srankara2004
    srankara2004 Posts: 9 Member
    You should probably voice your concerns with your doctor but yes it can definitely reoccur. I had surgery for 3 ventral hernias with mesh almost three years ago. A year later, I developed two more ventral hernias in the same area. I think I did too much too fast after surgery with lifting my then 2 year old daughter and walking up stairs, getting back into my old routine. My surgeon gave me minimal restrictions and I should have took things much slower. I went back to my surgeon and he did not want to repair my new hernias so I still have two hernias. I have to be careful with high impact exercise and lifting heavy objects. I don't pull or push anything either like a lawn mower, furniture, etc. I plan to wait a few more years, lose some weight and then consult a more specialized surgeon that deals with high risk hernia cases. Good luck with your recovery!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    They can reoccur. I had an umbilical hernia repair last October. I was very worried about this as well. I was sooo careful for over 2 months after the surgery to not lift, push, or pull anything over 10 lbs. It was a huge pain in the neck. I regained some of my weight back last year & being overweight is a risk factor, so I am working diligently to get back down & never go back up.
  • ats4908
    ats4908 Posts: 25 Member
    I am male and have had four umbilical hernias. I believe my reoccurrence was due to a bad surgeon on the first three. All four were in the same spot. I have been hernia free since 2001. Definitely talk to your doctors in order to rehab correctly. Also you may have "ghost" pains because your brain is worried you may reinjure yourself. Don't let it slow you down because your body will heal and bounce back quicker than expected. Good luck
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!