Back in the Game

Options
Kvm11628
Kvm11628 Posts: 7,386 Member
Hi All!

My name is Kim and this is my second go-round with MFP. I really enjoyed it a few years back, and found success with consistency. Fast forward three years, post-40, and, well, the progress I made was erased. I stepped on the scale on Sunday and was shocked to see an all-time high. Sigh. As the midlife metabolism slowdown takes hold, I am reminded just how important it is to stay consistent with logging meals and exercising as often as possible.

While I generally make pretty healthy food choices, without tracking, I know I let little nibbles and snacks sabotage my choices. MFP is necessary to keep me accountable and to remember that every calorie DOES count.

For the last 2 1/2 years I really have been consistent with exercise - I get up at 5:00 AM during the week to do cardio and weight training at the Y for a total of about an hour (all I can manage before I have to get myself and my family ready for the day). But, in the last six months or so, I know I have slacked a bit on the intensity of the cardio. So, I am recommitted to my fitness and trying to up the burn and diversify my workout a bit. My goal is a minimum of five workouts a week, which is definitely doable, given the early morning routine. I figure weekend workouts are a bonus, and will be dedicated to cardio.

Anyway, I have always been ashamed to put the number out there, but, really, it's my reality, and I guess part of accountability. I am 42 years old, 6 feet tall, and weighed in on my start day at a record 221 (GAH!). This put my BMI at 30 for the first time ever. Most people do not suspect that I am 221 (I don't carry my weight in my face, I am tall, and I am more on the athletic side), but, I am clearly no skinny minny. My goal is to get to 170. I think given my height and build, that is an achievable and appropriate goal. So, 51 pounds. Sounds daunting, but if you do it one pound at a time, it's do-able. If I do it? Next Christmas, I will be able to celebrate the gift of better health!

Feel free to join me on my journey by adding me as a friend!

Replies

• Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am just like you -- had success on MFP a few years ago and then lost it over the past three years. I'm back with a vengeance and ready to conquer this one final time! I'd love to support you on your journey!
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you, some great attitude and steps you've taken already.
  • Kvm11628
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I look forward to sharing the journey. Good luck to both of you, too.
  • JohnK580
    JohnK580 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are already super motivated and seem to have real sense of focus.
  • Kvm11628
    Options
    It's the only way to do it. Problem is, I start well, see progress, then let myself slack. Can't do that this time!