Lower sodium/cholesterol protein and iron?

Options
I'm struggling with creative ways to get more iron and protein. My macros are set to 40% carb, 35% protein, 25% fat. I tend to go over my fat slightly and that's ok with me. I'm just trying to lower my carbs and increase protein intake. My issue is that I only eat chicken, eggs, tofu, cheeses, and seafood for my protein sources, and have been trying to get more dark meat poultry in my diet to increase my heme iron intake since I'm borderline anemic. I also eat s lot of kale and spinach but that doesn't do much good since its non heme iron. My levels fluctuate throughout the month, but I'm usually between 11-13 for hemoglobin every time I've been tested.

Any foods out there that I could eat that I'm missing? Any supplements that ACTUALLY WORK? Both my reproductive medicine doc and my OBGYN said the majority of supplements are a waste, and they want me to try to increase with foods before I try supplements. I'm trying to get my hemo levels up before I try to get pregnant later this year.

But maybe there's something out there that actually works that I could take for a couple of months? Or better, any superfoods?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Beans, leafy greens like spinach and kale, fortified grains like pasta?
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I can't eat beans or pastas without blowing through my carbs for the day. I also seem to have mild IBS because the beans and gluten from pasta and bread do a number on me whenever I eat them. My partner is on the FODMAP diet for her IBS, so we tend to just cook a FODMAP friendly menu. I'm already eating about 6 handfuls of spinach a day. I'm turning green.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You don't take a one a day women's vitamin? For protein could you drink some milk and have some cereal in the mornings? Do you eat nuts like cashews or almonds? I cup of plain oatmeal has 6 grams of protein and a good bit of iron. (not sure if that hurts IBS)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Try some fortified iron cereals. I know they are carbs but sometimes the trade off is worth it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Tofu, some cheese, dark meat chicken.
    Eat foods with vitamin C because they help with Iron absorption.

Eat the carbs and fats. You already have restrictions. Some carbs like rice and quinoa are FODMAP friendly.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If no beans or grains, liver? oysters/clams/shellfish?
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Liver and mollusks. Probably not together. Leaving aside the issue of sodium, liverwurst is fairly palatable to most people. I love spaghetti and clams, myself. Some people love canned smoked oysters. I've never tried them. Also, try cooking with a cast iron skillet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with creative ways to get more iron and protein. My macros are set to 40% carb, 35% protein, 25% fat. I tend to go over my fat slightly and that's ok with me. I'm just trying to lower my carbs and increase protein intake. My issue is that I only eat chicken, eggs, tofu, cheeses, and seafood for my protein sources, and have been trying to get more dark meat poultry in my diet to increase my heme iron intake since I'm borderline anemic. I also eat s lot of kale and spinach but that doesn't do much good since its non heme iron. My levels fluctuate throughout the month, but I'm usually between 11-13 for hemoglobin every time I've been tested.

Any foods out there that I could eat that I'm missing? Any supplements that ACTUALLY WORK? Both my reproductive medicine doc and my OBGYN said the majority of supplements are a waste, and they want me to try to increase with foods before I try supplements. I'm trying to get my hemo levels up before I try to get pregnant later this year.

But maybe there's something out there that actually works that I could take for a couple of months? Or better, any superfoods?

beef liver, oysters, red meat are the best sources.

chickpeas, fortified cereals, soy beans, legumes, and lentils are also great.

why are you worried about your carbs? i'd concern myself more with getting the nutrients rather than some arbitrary carbohydrate macro ratio.

• thatshistorical
    Options
    Liver and mollusks. Probably not together. Leaving aside the issue of sodium, liverwurst is fairly palatable to most people. I love spaghetti and clams, myself. Some people love canned smoked oysters. I've never tried them. Also, try cooking with a cast iron skillet.

I do cook with cast iron a couple of times a week, but I'll try upping it! I'm all for more seafood, but I don't think I can eat mollusks and oysters if I'm trying to get pregnant? I thought they were on the bad list.
  • thatshistorical
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

beef liver, oysters, red meat are the best sources.

chickpeas, fortified cereals, soy beans, legumes, and lentils are also great.

why are you worried about your carbs? i'd concern myself more with getting the nutrients rather than some arbitrary carbohydrate macro ratio.

Mainly worried about carbs at this point bc I'm trying to slim down for my wedding in 3 months. I only adjusted my macros to 40% carbs versus 50%. That's not that much difference in effort but it makes a difference in the weight loss, for me anyway.

My question was also about any supplements that people vouch for that work. Most don't and aren't worth the bottle they are packaged in. I don't want to take something that I'll pee right out and not absorb.
  • thatshistorical
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Tofu, some cheese, dark meat chicken.
    Eat foods with vitamin C because they help with Iron absorption.

Eat the carbs and fats. You already have restrictions. Some carbs like rice and quinoa are FODMAP friendly.

That doesn't really help the iron question, but thanks...
  • thatshistorical
    Options
    You don't take a one a day women's vitamin? For protein could you drink some milk and have some cereal in the mornings? Do you eat nuts like cashews or almonds? I cup of plain oatmeal has 6 grams of protein and a good bit of iron. (not sure if that hurts IBS)

Can't have regular milk because the lactose is too high. I stick to Greek yogurt and low fat cheese, about 4 servings a day. The issue I have with vitamins is that most don't absorb into your system, you pee them out. I was in search of one that someone with a similar issue might have had success with.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Can't have regular milk because the lactose is too high. I stick to Greek yogurt and low fat cheese, about 4 servings a day. The issue I have with vitamins is that most don't absorb into your system, you pee them out. I was in search of one that someone with a similar issue might have had success with.

Are you sure this is a lactose issue? Yoghurt and cheese are both high in lactose. Maybe you have a casein intolerance? Which could also explain other food sensitivities.

If you are looking for iron supplements, try liquid iron. It is more expensive usually, but it is much better absorbed.