Lunch?

Options
Hey all!! I need your help to find some ideas for a quick, healthy lunch! I have 3 kids of my own and babysit another so lunch time is hectic and I find myself eating a processed protein bar a majority of the time. I am 56 pounds down and really trying to clean up my eating habits too. Less processed and easy would be great! I want to go grocery shopping so please help me by giving me some easy ideas. :):) Thanks!!!

Replies

• altygirl
    altygirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    56 pounds down - congratulations! I grill a few skinless chicken breasts at a time and keep them in the fridge. If you prep some salad veggies ahead of time and keep them in baggies, you can throw together a quick grilled chicken salad. I eat that almost every day. I know it takes a bowl and a fork, but it should be possible. Good luck!
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I try whenever I can to make some extra protein with dinner so as to have leftover chicken, fish, or other meat to add to lunch.
    I then round that out by adding something to it. Sometimes it's cottage cheese and fruit. Sometimes it's unsweetened Fage yogurt and fruit.

I sometimes make make several days worth of 'sides' to be kept in the fridge and then packed with the leftover protein to take to work for lunch.

broccoli slaw or coleslaw (vinegar based)
    { http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/North-Carolina-Coleslaw-242716
    only I substitute the white vinegar + sugar with Alessi's White Balsamic vinegar which is sweet enough that no added sugar is needed)

Apple-celery-fennel slaw (quite delicious)
    { http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Celery-Apple-and-Fennel-Slaw-366451 }

Cabbage-fennel-carrot slaw
    { http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cabbage-Fresh-Fennel-and-Carrot-Slaw-109679?mbid=epi_widget }
    Less mayo, though. Greek yogurt can be used instead

In a pinch (when I don't have leftover protein)
    Oven roasted deli turkey slices with romaine lettuce and some cheddar for quick "lettuce rolls"
    Salmon lox (but watch out for the sodium) cream cheese (or cottage or laughing cow) on lettuce or stuffing celery stalks.

And if I'm really on the ball, I make up some sort of chicken salad or tuna salad to be kept in the fridge to be packed for a couple of days' lunches.
  • splashtree1
    Options
    i sometimes had steak and chips sometimes nothing it depends on season and nothing...
  • Denise_1010
    Options
    This idea is gold - I do the same thing!! Pre-made FRESH salads is perfect. Grill the chicken on the weekend or some evening and you have it for the week. Toss your salad in a bowl and add the chicken and eat as you go. Salad doesn't take long to eat so it's nice that you can gobble it down and not experience the "post lunch dip".
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When you cook, just cook extra for lunch. Whether it be a pot of stew, soup or chili, or just leftovers from last night's dinner.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If you don't already have a George Foreman grill, get one. It's quick and easy to make grilled chicken for salads, paninis, quesadillas, wraps, breakfast burritos, grilled cheese sandwiches (for you or the kids), grilled chicken hot dogs, turkey burgers, etc. Great for quick lunches and dinners, I couldn't live without mine!
    For my breakfast (or lunch or dinner) burritos I scramble one egg and one egg white (you can make scrambled eggs in the microwave too!), microwave 2 slices of turkey bacon, lay a slice of cheese on a wrap (flatout wraps are most times 90 cals) then the bacon then the scrambled egg, wrap it up and put it on the GF for about 4 minutes. Way yummy!! You can add veggies like spinach or salsa to it if you like and low fat sour cream on the side.
    For paninis I like to use leftover rotiserrie chicken or low sodium sandwich meat, cheese, spinach or whatever veggies I have and grill them on the GF.
    Quesadillas- same thing, flat out wrap, low fat cheese, leftover chicken/steak, maybe some onions and tomatoes.
    I also like to hard boil eggs ahead of time (10 at a time) and keep them in the fridge for a quick snack or to add to salads.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
  • danagolding
    Options
    Just discovered the most delicious lunch yesterday! Mix 1/4 avacado with 1 Tbsp of cream cheese. Spread on toasted bread. Add sliced cucumbers then salt and pepper if desired. Top with some deli sliced turkey (or chicken maybe). Tomato would probably be a good addition too. I ate mine open faced and loved it so much that I decided to make another one! I had 2 open faced sandwiches for 368 calories (I used sara lee 45 calorie bread). Yummy in my tummy!
  • Genetic_tea_drinker
    Options
    2 hard boiled eggs and a peice of toast then some fruit?

Whole grain pasta with spinach, pesto and a light sprinkling of cheese

Make some vegetable burgers and freeze them

Lightly fry some onions and chilli then add some tomatoes and have it on some pasta or with toast
    (you can use any vegetables for that). You can also put this on a potato

Fruit scewers with some strawberry yogart

Boil some rice, then fry an egg (either put it on top or mix the two together). to this you can also add meat and veg and either salt or soy sauce

Fajita wraps with salad and whatever else you like

Sanwhich with a tiny bit of meat/cheese and loaded with salad
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You can make homemade chicken nuggets--does take time to prep though. My boys love it!
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    What do the kids eat for lunch? Certainly you are not feeding them a protein bar. Can't you have the same thing as them? If you are already preparing lunch for 4 kids, it shouldn't take more time to prepare a 5th meal for yourself as well. I don't understand feeding kids something different than you feed yourself - granted I don't have kids so maybe I am missing something...like their caloric & nutritional needs are remarkably different?
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I am lovin' homemade chili lately. So are my kids. I can put in all sorts of veggies with the beans and have it exactly right. Paired with whole grain breads or reduced fat cheese/sour cream, I can make it differently day to day and not get bored.

I just have to plan it out beforehand, as beans take awhile to cook. I like to make a big pot and put it into Rubbermaid containers.

Plus side, tons of protein and it's heavy enough I'm not hungry until dinner time.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    try making your own protein bars instead of buying the processed ones. i also suggest cooking extra chicken and having that for lunch. you could also have hard boiled eggs, fruit, greek yogurt, string cheese, grill up lots of veggies and enjoy them cold with hummus or chicken breast with a homemade peanut butter sauce. almost forgot veggie burgers.
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I cook up some brown rice & throw in some black beans at the beginning of the week then get the precoocked frozen tyson grilled chicken breasts to toss in each day when I leave for work. By lunch its thawed I can cut it up mix it together & toss in the microwave, Sometime I'll add some salsa. Premaking the meals makes it easy when your in a hurry.
  • FitBy30_2014
    FitBy30_2014 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I appreciate it.
  • melistocrat
    Options
    I like baking a few sweet potatoes on the weekend and then being able to grab them during the week for lunch. If I am busy and on the go I will just eat one with my hands, nothing on it. If i can sit and enjoy it I pile it with greek yogurt or goat cheese, or greens like roasted kale and some goat cheese.

Also, a good piece of crunchy whole grain bread, toasted and then piled with avocado slices and diced tomatoes is delicious. Otherwise I like the idea of grilling chicken and having it to throw on top of some salad. I enjoy kale salads too, just dump whatever I've got on hand on top of it (cranberries, goat cheese, tomatoes, thawed frozen corn, etc).