Chris/Heidi Powell's Extreme Transformation?

I bought the book and really like it so far. It's not a 21 day plan, but a lifelong plan based on 21 days cause that's about how long it takes to change old habits. It's based on 1400-1500 calorie/day for women with one high calorie day per week.

Replies

• kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    No one else is doing this?
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    I did a once over in the book store and it is eh. I can't put my finger on it, but something about them irk me. I will say, I think his training program\TV show is more realistic than Biggest Loser and I also have his first two DVD's and I do like them.

IMHO,s he has a deranged look about her.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    It's the whole "you need to work out for 4+ hours a day to achieve results" mentality from the show that irks me.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    I no longer have any interest in "plans". I will only ever use, for the rest of my life, calories in vs calories out. That's the only thing that truly works.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    edited January 2016
    Dreysander wrote: »
    It's the whole "you need to work out for 4+ hours a day to achieve results" mentality from the show that irks me.

This plan doesn't have that, I think you may be referring to the Biggest Loser. This plan recommends a 30 min workout daily, and 15 or more min of cardio (heart rate above 120) daily. The emphasis is on gradual changes and diet. On the show, he works with a person over the course of a year, so the weight loss is gradual and safe. They take a calories in/out approach to weight loss.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited January 2016

This plan doesn't have that, I think you may be referring to the Biggest Loser. This plan recommends a 30 min workout daily, and 15 or more min of cardio (heart rate above 120) daily. The emphasis is on gradual changes and diet. On the show, he works with a person over the course of a year, so the weight loss is gradual and safe. They take a calories in/out approach to weight loss.

So basically it's the same advice you'll get here. Sometimes it's easier for people to absorb it in book form than from an online forum. If this is the book that makes you change your life, then it's worth every penny. For some people, it's a FitBit or an exercise buddy or a health scare. It's not how you get there, it's getting there and staying there.

The problem with their TV show (and all weight loss TV shows) is that it's just not very interesting to watch people going about their daily lives not eating as much as they used to. But yet this is usually the most important key change people have to make to lose weight. So instead the shows focus on something more telegenic, like watching people struggle to exercise. The frustration, exhaustion and exhilaration that exercise brings also tends to make people act and speak out in a very emotional way, which makes great television. The unfortunate message, though, is that people watching might see weight loss and health more as an emotional journey rather than a disciplined approach to living. After you've exercised and exorcised your demons away, what's left to keep you going? Most days you are not going to have a life changing epiphany in the middle of doing burpees or cooking chicken breast. You need to develop good habits and stick to them, even when it's just another boring and uneventful Tuesday.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member

No I'm not thinking of the Biggest Loser, I'm thinking of their show Extreme Weight Loss.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I bought the book and really like it so far. It's not a 21 day plan, but a lifelong plan based on 21 days cause that's about how long it takes to change old habits. It's based on 1400-1500 calorie/day for women with one high calorie day per week.

Just so you know, it takes longer than 21 days to form a habit: http://jamesclear.com/new-habit

That said, good luck with your program. Keep with it, and just remember that even though it make take longer than the 21 days to feel like your new habits are now a lifestyle, know you're not along and a lot of people may take a little longer. Keep plugging away, the habit will form!
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    vczk2t15 wrote: »
    I no longer have any interest in "plans". I will only ever use, for the rest of my life, calories in vs calories out. That's the only thing that truly works.

this :-)
  • cassiemorris85
    cassiemorris85 Posts: 45 Member
    I just bought this book and have begun reading it.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
    vczk2t15 wrote: »

Amen to this.

• sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    On the show, he works with a person over the course of a year, so the weight loss is gradual and safe. They take a calories in/out approach to weight loss.
    I wouldn't call what they do on the show "gradual and safe" - often they have goal for the first phase (90days) of 90+lbs.

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Never heard of them and I'm skeptical of all diet plans and books.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Hey if it's working for you great

going from nothing to 45 minutes a day working out wouldn't be advisable in my eyes personally - that's a good way to injure yourself or crash and burn so please build up slowly and take rest days

otherwise good luck - developing new lifestyle habits rock - but they take a long time, and they sneak up on you - the 21 days is a marketing grabline

if you need any help or advice on doing it on your own - this place has lots - but if you've found something you're really enjoying and is working for you then stick to it - for life