Dill (Herb) Recipes

Options
mlcollins89
mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
Hi all! Does anyone have recipes using fresh dill?

I have some fresh herbs growing in the kitchen and my dill is out of control. I've been adding it to omelettes but that's about it. Any recipe suggestions ?

Replies

• maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do with dill is make fresh cucumber salad.

Peeled thin sliced cucumber
    green onion
    dill
    white vinager
    water
    salt
    pepper
    tiny bit of sugar to cut the tartness

mixed all together and placed in the fridge for a couple hours to saturate. YUM
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's good on fish like salmon or something else mild and it's good mixed into yogurt with a little fresh minced garlic and use it as a mayo for sandwiches or dressing for salad or a slaw or a veggie dip.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It's good on fish like salmon or something else mild and it's good mixed into yogurt with a little fresh minced garlic and use it as a mayo for sandwiches or dressing for salad or a slaw or a veggie dip.

Agreed! I also love it on chicken with a bit of lemon and garlic.

I don't know if you're into canning/preserving at all but this summer I made a ton of dill-pickled green beans and they're absolutely delicious. A great snack with hardly any calories. Green beans are a bit out of season but I'm sure you could find some fresh at the grocery store.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I haven't got a recipe but I remember my grandma sometimes made hard-boiled eggs and served them with a dill-cream sauce.

Also, a traditional German recipe uses small cucumbers (not gherkins!) and boils them in a dill-cream sauce. Sounds awful but it is quite nice.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Cucumber salad is great, I have made it like the poster above but also sometimes with sour cream. It's good in green salads, tuna and egg salad sandwiches, and chicken soup too.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Dill goes well in yoghurt dips. So if you were to make tzakziki you can sub it in for mint. Or just completely skip the cucumber and chop a whole bunch of dill and a good amount of garlic.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! The cucumber salad sounds great. I think I'll make a batch this weekend for lunches. I have some salmon that needs to be baked -- looks like we're having salmon with dill and lemon. Mmmm!
  • sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like this recipe using carrots (side dish) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/87694/maple-dill-carrots/
  • sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Also I like to add dill to my turkey meatloaf - it's delicious with a little dill and white vinegar!
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I use dill in my tofu salad - it's like an egg salad but vegan, and although I'm not vegan myself I love it. Unfortunately I don't have a precise recipe because I just throw it together depending on how much tofu I want to use. Last time I made it I used a whole block of tofu (press as much water out as you can and crumble it in a bowl), 3 stalks of celery (diced), a few tablespoons of veganaise (mayo), a tablespoon or two of dill pickle juice, and tons of fresh chopped dill. Garlic powder, black pepper, and salt to your taste. Tofu needs quite a bit of salt I find. I make a big batch and keep it in the fridge to use all week. I put it in wraps, over salads, or on avocado toast. Sometimes I snack on it plain with crackers.

If the idea of tofu is unappealing you can do a similar recipe with eggs, or egg whites, and regular mayo :)
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Decided to add a pic - this is the tofu salad on toast with avocado brh9cvtnegc4.jpeg