Snacking & Exercising Tips

Options
Jesikuh094
Jesikuh094 Posts: 48 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
My name is Jessica and I was introduced to this website by a friend! Hope to see everyone meeting their goals! I do have some questions for anyone willing to answer them!

I have a desk job that requires sitting for 40+ hours a week, I have picked up a terrible habbit of snacking. I need some advise of healthy, nurtitional snacks to eat while working!! I have jusr recently started exercising so I am pretty new to all of this. Any other advice you can throw out to help me on my journey is extremely apprecaited!

Thanks in advance! :smiley:

Replies

• mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Keep some almonds or mixed nuts at your desk. If you can chew gum chew it because that will help keep you from snacking throughout the day. Also have willpower to avoid all the snacks people bring in on a daily basis. Also bring healthy snack along with the nuts like baby carrots.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat but I just stopped snacking. Saves me money and lets me utilize my calories for meals.

If you can't do that, mweckler has it right. Nuts are a great snack, unsalted is better to avoid all the sodium (though I am terrible with sodium). Sunflower Seeds if you like those or pistachios are good because you have to work at actually eating them. I used to eat a lot of jerky but it got expensive. Graze is something I've thought about trying because they can send healthy snacks to your home or directly to your job, but again... saving the money.

Best of luck to you.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job, I like to keep the 100 calorie packs of snacks on hand (almonds, cheese crackers) plus grapes, boiled eggs, baby carrots and/or apple slices & hummus and drink lots of water and/or green tea to keep my appetite down between meals. Try to get up & move around as much as possible, maybe you have time for a short walk on your lunch break?
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I think trying to break the snacking habit might be the best way forward if you can, but there are plenty of lower calorie alternatives out there if you feel that you need a snack. Logging everything you snack on is an essential starting point and then it depends on what spare calories you have in your allowance. My go to snack is an Atkins bar in the UK, not because I follow the plan or anything but because they tend to fit in with my macro goals of Protein and Fibre, however they are about 220 calories per bar. Other things would include fruit and vegetable sticks but find they can get a bit boring at times. As far as crisp snacks in the UK there are plenty around for 90 - 100 calories per bag from all supermarkets. Remember losing weight is all about setting up a calorie deficit, mainly with food but the deficit can be increased with exercise, allowing you to eat back some of those calories, making room for the snacks
  • Jesikuh094
    Options
    Thank you both so much! I am currecntly chewing gum, mweckler! I have had lots of people tell me that mixed nuts are great! Also, I have another question, I have a terrible time with water, as in only wanting to drink it with flavor packets. Are there any out there I could get by with and still lose the weight or I should I just stick to water plain?
  • Jesikuh094
    Options
    Thank you ChrisM8971. I will most definitely keep that in mind! I could easily quit snacking if I really tried, it has just became part of my routine and it's extremely difficult! I am unfortunately, not from to UK so I have to find alternatives to greasy, fat-filled American food! Lol.
  • LizH50
    LizH50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water to help me stay full. I also tell my co-workers what I will not eat to help me not eat it as I don't want to hear their teasing (good natured of course). I find the more people I involve in this journey, the more successful I am. 12 almonds with a large glass of water, should help anytime you just need something.
  • ChrisM8971
    edited January 2016
    Options
    JGoodson94 wrote: »
    Thank you both so much! I am currecntly chewing gum, mweckler! I have had lots of people tell me that mixed nuts are great! Also, I have another question, I have a terrible time with water, as in only wanting to drink it with flavor packets. Are there any out there I could get by with and still lose the weight or I should I just stick to water plain?

Be careful with mixed nuts because they are high in fats and although there is nothing unhealthy with them, at 9 calories per gram for the fat content these can easily eat a big hole in your deficit.

You don't need to drink plain water to lose weight, just log any calories contained in the flavourings and stay under your goal. Water is essentially for hydration and you will hear a lot of talk about drinking a minimum of 2 litres per day etc (a lot of the information was put out there by Mineral water companies). Just make sure you drink enough to remain hydrated which you are if your urine is pale straw in colour (it doesn't need to be clear)

• Jesikuh094
    Options
    ChrisM8971 wrote: »
    JGoodson94 wrote: »

Be careful with mixed nuts because they are high in fats and although there is nothing unhealthy with them, at 9 calories per gram for the fat content these can easily eat a big hole in your deficit.

You don't need to drink plain water to lose weight, just log any calories contained in the flavourings and stay under your goal. Water is essentially for hydration and you will hear a lot of talk about drinking a minimum of 2 litres per day etc (a lot of the information was put out there by Mineral water companies). Just make sure you drink enough to remain hydrated which you are if your urine is pale straw in colour (it doesn't need to be clear)

I have had a lot of people tell me to drink around a gallon a day! I can drink plain water but I struggle with it! Besides nuts, what are some other good snack foods as far as fruit? I love fruits!
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and grapes etc tend to be the best option in my personal view because they are finger food and eating berries one at a time tends to satisfy any snack craving I have pretty quickly but an apple is very filling as well. In fact most fruit makes a great snack but I am particularly partial to a handful of blueberries
  • Jesikuh094
    Options
    LizH50 wrote: »
    I drink lots of water to help me stay full. I also tell my co-workers what I will not eat to help me not eat it as I don't want to hear their teasing (good natured of course). I find the more people I involve in this journey, the more successful I am. 12 almonds with a large glass of water, should help anytime you just need something.

Thank you so much! I have an amazing support system in my co-workers & family so hopefully it helps!