Breaking the habit

Options
So I basically eat things where I can pick out what I like (Trail Mix mostly, Honey bunches of oats etc) I end up wasting a lot of food and money by doing this. I even go to lengths of getting crunchy peanut butter and eating only the peanuts. It enviably ends in me not knowing how many calories I took in (too much or not enough) and I have been trying to break this habit. I will be good for a couple days but then fall in the same routine. Has anyone else had this issue and what has helped them break the habit?

Replies

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    If I had that habit then I would buy packets of the things picked out and make my own trail mix so nothing got wasted. If I picked the peanuts out of peanut butter I'd buy a packet of peanuts instead.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I only buy single serving sizes of snacks and treats. It's much easier than exercising the self control not to graze on a bigger packet.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If I had that habit then I would buy packets of the things picked out and make my own trail mix so nothing got wasted. If I picked the peanuts out of peanut butter I'd buy a packet of peanuts instead.

This ^^ Why in the world would you buy peanut butter if all you wanted was peanuts?
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Wondering the same thing here why bother with the butter its cheaper to buy the peanuts whole and add sugar and salt
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Buy things you actually enjoy eating all of it (like just buy a jar of peanuts instead of peanut butter).
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Do you mean like you can't help yourself from doing this? If so, perhaps some counseling is in order (I mean this with no snark).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Do you mean like you can't help yourself from doing this? If so, perhaps some counseling is in order (I mean this with no snark).

I didn't think about that; if you feel a compulsion for it, it may be a manifestation of something like OCD.
  • JordanTerry516
    JordanTerry516 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks... When I think about it, I think i do feel a sense of control... Or it keeps me busy while relaxing lol
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a behavioural issue to me

Have you considered CBT?
  • JordanTerry516
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It sounds like a behavioural issue to me

Have you considered CBT?
    . cBT??

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Cognitive behavioural therapy

• JordanTerry516
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Cognitive behavioural therapy
    I see a normal therapist regularly but I'm dead going to bring that up in the next session! Thanks everyone for your input :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Look into it

It may not be appropriate

In no way should any internet suggestion take the place of an existing therapeutic / medical team's advice

But can't hurt discussing things you read with your therapist

Good luck