Has anyone else noticed.....

Options
the mounting body of evidence that high carb, low fat diets are part of the problem not part of the solution?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Evidence? No

Conjecture and anecdotes? Yes
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I eat high carb and have lost all my excess weight? Anecdotal yes
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If someone doesn't feel full on a high carbohydrate/low fat diet and they eat additional calories to compensate, I can see why that would create a problem. Do I think carbohydrates, in themselves, are a problem? No, I don't see the evidence for that.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    NewSue52 wrote: »
    the mounting body of evidence that high carb, low fat diets are part of the problem not part of the solution?

There are plenty of people here on both sides of this debate who could go round and round on this. But if you want it to be a meaningful thread, it might help to present some of that mounting evidence for those of us who aren't familiar with it.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If eating carbs makes you overeat, then yes.

But for many here, myself being one of them, you can eat high carbs and lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Evidence? No

Agree. Moreover, not all carbs and fats are equal. As quick examples, there is solid scientific evidence going back decades regarding the health benefits of dietary fibre (carbs) and the negative effects of trans-fatty acids. So, it is complex. Plus, individual physiology plays a role, hence a new trend towards personalised medicine and nutrition.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a mounting body of evidence that eating more than one burns makes one gain fat, regardless of the macronutrients involved.

I've also noticed a mounting body of evidence that shows the body needs a moderate amount of fats for healthy function (joint health, hormone production, etc.).

I've also noticed a mounting body of evidence that shows that sufficient protein intake is key for maintaining/building lean body mass (aka desired body composition).

I've also noticed a mounting body of evidence that shows that carbs aren't the devil, despite what mainstream media and popular fads would tell you.

Eat all the macros!!!
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Evidence? No

/clap end thread. A recent study by Kevin Hall even found no difference along with past works.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    What's considered high carb?
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The New York Times has an interview today with David Ludwig, a well-respected nutrition researcher from Harvard. He says that HCLF messes with your hormones and causes you to be more hungry. That why people who lose weight put it back on.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Ludwig is a well known quack.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The New York Times has an interview today with David Ludwig, a well-respected nutrition researcher from Harvard. He says that HCLF messes with your hormones and causes you to be more hungry. That why people who lose weight put it back on.

One interview with one person (who...by the way...has a vested interest in promoting this because he *surprise* has a diet book to sell) does not constitute a mounting body of evidence.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Just because someone says something doesn't make it true. When you write about the "mounting body of evidence" are you talking about anything besides interviews with Ludwig?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I've noticed a mounting body of evidence that eating more than one burns makes one gain fat, regardless of the macronutrients involved.

I've also noticed a mounting body of evidence that shows the body needs a moderate amount of fats for healthy function (joint health, hormone production, etc.).

I've also noticed a mounting body of evidence that shows that sufficient protein intake is key for maintaining/building lean body mass (aka desired body composition).

I've also noticed a mounting body of evidence that shows that carbs aren't the devil, despite what mainstream media and popular fads would tell you.

Eat all the macros!!!

This, eat them all!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,967 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Here's a link to the article, in case anyone else was interested: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/01/07/rethinking-weight-loss-and-the-reasons-were-always-hungry/?_r=0

I want to like him, but he lost me at the bolded. Anyone care to comment, especially anyone with Type 1 diabetes?

Q. If it’s not overeating, then what is the underlying cause of obesity?

A. It’s the low fat, very high carbohydrate diet that we’ve been eating for the last 40 years, which raises levels of the hormone insulin and programs fat cells to go into calorie storage overdrive. I like to think of insulin as the ultimate fat cell fertilizer.

When someone with Type 1 diabetes first comes to attention, their blood sugar is high because they can’t make enough insulin. They invariably have lost weight. They may be eating 5,000 calories a day, and they’re still losing weight. You can’t gain weight without insulin. The opposite is also true. If you give someone with diabetes too much insulin, they will inevitably gain weight. Insulin programs the body to store calories, and most of those calories get stored in the fat cells. If you’ve got too much insulin, you’re going to store too many calories. This has been very well established scientifically.

Q. How do you get your obese patients to lower their insulin?

A. The quickest way to lower insulin is to cut back on processed carbohydrates and to get the right balance of protein and fat in your diet. A high fat diet is really the fastest way to shift metabolism. It lowers insulin, calms fat cells down and gets people out of the cycle of hunger, craving and overeating.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Here's a link to the article, in case anyone else was interested: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/01/07/rethinking-weight-loss-and-the-reasons-were-always-hungry/?_r=0

Q. What is the basic message of your book?

A. The basic premise is that overeating doesn’t make you fat.

Full stop. That right there should cause any thinking person to completely discount that idiot as a complete quack.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

Full stop. That right there should cause any thinking person to completely discount that idiot as a complete quack.

yup....... once i hear that anything else they have to say doesn't matter....
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I'm curious to know what he thinks the body DOES with excess calories if they don't cause you to gain weight.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

I'm curious to know what he thinks the body DOES with excess calories if they don't cause you to gain weight.

Thank you for the set up for my favorite all time gif :)

magiclabeouf.gif