What do YOU do when you fall off of your routine and gained weight back?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    For me personally the best thing I can do is figure out why and tackle that. I can keep doing the yo-yo thing over and over if I don't figure out what happened along the way it will never stop.

For me it's stress. I handle stress by eating more because I view food as a comfort. And I still do, but I'm aware of it and focus on not letting it get out of hand.

So short answer (for me anyway) is behavior management. Becoming aware of yourself.

First, LOVE your profile pic haha!

Stress is what gets me too. You stress about stress! haha For me, I am just in a spot where its out of hand and I haven't been this way in like 8 years so its just weird. I've always gotten on track. I think support on here helps, which is why I posted something. Just takes a few kind words to pick up someone when they are down I think.

Thank you :)
  • adrich430
    adrich430 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just wanted to let you know you are definitely not alone,I feel your pain. I lost 30 lbs 3 years ago and started putting weight back on this past year. I made myself get on the scale yesterday and was horrified to see I have gained back almost 40 lbs. I was wallowing in self pity, then realized I needed to work at it again; tracking EVERYTHING I eat, drinking water, and working out regularly. We can do it!l :)
  • saramatthews919
    saramatthews919 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Dust myself off & just get right back on it the following day simple
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that every bite, every calorie counts, and just because I've overeaten doesn't mean I can say "what the heck" and continue overeating and not have it count. I try to figure out what the next step is to move in the direction I want to go, because every step counts - I make sure I have my next meal planned, I commit to myself to start logging immediately. I ask myself to make a commitment to stick to a calorie goal for just the next day. When I'm feeling hopeless, breaking it down to bite size - one day - really helps me. Sticking to my calorie goal for one day is something I can do, right, no matter how hopeless or down I feel about falling off the wagon. And then as I have success with those goals, I challenge myself to take the next step... and the next... and the next... until I'm running.
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    adrich430 wrote: »
    Hi! Just wanted to let you know you are definitely not alone,I feel your pain. I lost 30 lbs 3 years ago and started putting weight back on this past year. I made myself get on the scale yesterday and was horrified to see I have gained back almost 40 lbs. I was wallowing in self pity, then realized I needed to work at it again; tracking EVERYTHING I eat, drinking water, and working out regularly. We can do it!l :)

It helps to know I'm not alone in it. I think we know what we need to do since we did did it before but support really helps!
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    I remind myself that every bite, every calorie counts, and just because I've overeaten doesn't mean I can say "what the heck" and continue overeating and not have it count. I try to figure out what the next step is to move in the direction I want to go, because every step counts - I make sure I have my next meal planned, I commit to myself to start logging immediately. I ask myself to make a commitment to stick to a calorie goal for just the next day. When I'm feeling hopeless, breaking it down to bite size - one day - really helps me. Sticking to my calorie goal for one day is something I can do, right, no matter how hopeless or down I feel about falling off the wagon. And then as I have success with those goals, I challenge myself to take the next step... and the next... and the next... until I'm running.

I like that, baby steps! I really think getting back to logging...good or bad...is what is going to help first. I was an avid logger for like 5 years, back on track starting today!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    Start again realizing the only true failure is giving up.
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options

Love this, putting on a post-it note on my desk at work!
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options

See! I really did do it! haha :smiley:0qfozsdxveoc.jpg
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    For me personally the best thing I can do is figure out why and tackle that. I can keep doing the yo-yo thing over and over if I don't figure out what happened along the way it will never stop.

For me it's stress. I handle stress by eating more because I view food as a comfort. And I still do, but I'm aware of it and focus on not letting it get out of hand.

So short answer (for me anyway) is behavior management. Becoming aware of yourself.

Stress is what gets me too. You stress about stress! haha For me, I am just in a spot where its out of hand and I haven't been this way in like 8 years so its just weird. I've always gotten on track. I think support on here helps, which is why I posted something. Just takes a few kind words to pick up someone when they are down I think.

This was me in July. I'd always been able to dust myself off and start over, but after I gained all my weight back and then some the last time I had a hard time. After 10 months I came back in July and found it so much harder to do. But after a few weeks I got back into the swing of things. You know how and what to do. Just get started, and you know that you'll start losing weight. My take home message from your post was to just keep logging- for forever!

• Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »

This was me in July. I'd always been able to dust myself off and start over, but after I gained all my weight back and then some the last time I had a hard time. After 10 months I came back in July and found it so much harder to do. But after a few weeks I got back into the swing of things. You know how and what to do. Just get started, and you know that you'll start losing weight. My take home message from your post was to just keep logging- for forever!

The support means more than you know to me, thanks for that! It's sort of like someone who is awesome at logging and losing for like 6 years...not some MFP fad dieter...then just gets in a dark place and gains. Its tough. But like always, we get back up and get at it! When I log my loss, no matter what it is. It will mean so much :) You def inspired me :)
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My newest strategy is the one I'm starting today. KEEP IT SIMPLE!
    - Eat easy foods I always have on hand and know how to cook
    - stay stocked on my go-to foods and don't let cupboards get so bare all we have for dinner is Mac and cheese.
    - Move daily (simple!)

I tend to over plan, over think, and then when I do inevitably fall off (as we all do), I don't have this big plan I ruined. I just have a day that didn't go so great. I want to plan my foods in the morning or the day before and then not think about it all damned day. I want to move so consistently that I have no need to check my fitbit, because habit probably has me close to my step goal.

Im definitely in a dark place right now. I had been doing certifiably GREAT right up until the holidays and almost 3 weeks off from work. Total lack of routine and planning. I know I have gained, I basically didn't leave the couch except to move to another person's couch for a party. I am giving myself several weeks before I get back on the scale. Seeing how high it went and how much progress I have lost won't do me any good. I'm also tempted to start over my "starting weight" because I have gained back quite a bit, and may benefit from truly starting over and not having my old losses count anymore. It's about the here and now, not the past. Trying to move forward from December's setbacks is tough but I'm doing my best.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Remember the saying "It isn't what you eat from Thanksgiving to Christmas that's important, it's what you eat from Christmas to Thanksgiving". I love that as, while none of us liked to gain over the holidays, most of us could certainly lose it plus a lot in the following ten months. Don't be too hard on yourself. You'll get where you need to be and next December you, and I hope I, will have better skills for handling this time of year. I did OK, except for candy. I even kept exercising, logging, and not drinking much, even at parties. But. That darned candy given to us at work!! Major slips there!!!!
  • pricej9
    pricej9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This was me a year ago. I am up and down in weight. Now, I dont worry about the lbs so much. I focus more on the way my clothes fit. A year ago after gaining the weight back I started walking on my lunch breaks. Today I hit a new benchmark! I ran 4.75 miles in 46 minutes!!! I started this path only able to get about 1.25 miles walked in about 30-35 minutes! Never gave up! About 4 months ago I added weight lifting routines. My weight is down, however, I am down 2 dress sizes. I do my best to eat right. For the most part I do. But when I do eat not so healthy, I don't beat myself up over it. I struggle with the stress eating, depression eating, etc. I love comfort food. I had to train my mind to not give in to those urges. I did so by going for a walk or doing some other activity instead of eating junk food. I quit carrying money/change to work so I couldnt get something out of the vending machine. I would put my headphones on and listen to music loudly and become absorbed into what I was listening to. At home I do not keep junk food, not even for that special occasion. It was a hard first 6 months! But I consider myself a food addict :( So, everyday I focus on what I want and need to do to stay healthy and active.
  • Autumn_Elixir
    Autumn_Elixir Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    AdiBPrO.jpg
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    pricej9 wrote: »
    This was me a year ago. I am up and down in weight. Now, I dont worry about the lbs so much. I focus more on the way my clothes fit. A year ago after gaining the weight back I started walking on my lunch breaks. Today I hit a new benchmark! I ran 4.75 miles in 46 minutes!!! I started this path only able to get about 1.25 miles walked in about 30-35 minutes! Never gave up! About 4 months ago I added weight lifting routines. My weight is down, however, I am down 2 dress sizes. I do my best to eat right. For the most part I do. But when I do eat not so healthy, I don't beat myself up over it. I struggle with the stress eating, depression eating, etc. I love comfort food. I had to train my mind to not give in to those urges. I did so by going for a walk or doing some other activity instead of eating junk food. I quit carrying money/change to work so I couldnt get something out of the vending machine. I would put my headphones on and listen to music loudly and become absorbed into what I was listening to. At home I do not keep junk food, not even for that special occasion. It was a hard first 6 months! But I consider myself a food addict :( So, everyday I focus on what I want and need to do to stay healthy and active.

Great job with running! Wow. And 2 dress sizes is amazing!

You are right in saying its more of training your mind into different habits when you get those urges..I'm totally a food addict too haha! Thank you that helped, added to my list of encouraging things to do from this thread!