High Protein, low cal snacks

Options
synchkat
synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
Anyone got any faves? Hubs just asked me to pick some up at the store and since this is the first time he's actually taken an interested in his weight loss I plan on humouring him. So what are your go to snacks

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    FWIW... both high protein and low cal are relative terms.

But to answer your question, beef/turkey jerky.
  • synchkat
    Options
    ugh thought that would be the answer. At least I don't have to eat it
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There are lots of "answers"... that's just mine.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Eggs - boil'em. :)
  • synchkat
    Options
    Haha it's a good one. He's incredibly picky and won't have bars but he'll eat meat.
  • Ciera247Zumba
    Ciera247Zumba Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese (low-fat or part-skim) is great with fresh fruit. Greek yogurt (especially varieties like Fage/Chobani) where they offer 0% fat, that will provide ~13g of protein with 120 calories. Just be conscientious of the sugar content. Mozzarella string cheese is good too.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    jerky, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, nuts...the cheese and nuts aren't really low cal though. Greek yogurt isn't too bad calorie wise. most jerky is high in sodium though, so watch out for that too. I prefer the full fat dairy even if it is a few more calories though just because of what they have to do to get all that fat out.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    • Cottage cheese
    • Greek yogurt
    • Edamame
    • Canned tuna/chicken (I like making tuna salad with cottage cheese, tuna, whatever veggies I have that need to be used up, and lots of mustard)
    • Quest bars
    • Beef/turkey jerky
    • Meat rollups (wrapping a slice of deli meat around a pickle/cheese stick and adding cream cheese or a laughing cow wedge)
    • Protein shakes
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My favorite go-to snack is to keep a bag of sunflower seeds at my desk. I like to snack throughout the day and this keeps my mouth busy without eating substantial calories. But it feels like I'm eating a lot because it takes time to get the seeds out of the shell and so I'm "eating" for a long time. They're a pretty good source of protein.

I'm also crazy for hummus (don't let hubby knock it until he's tried it) especially if I make it myself. It's super easy and then I can adjust the flavor how I like it (hint: I always add tons of garlic). It's filling, high in protein and can be used for a ton of different things. Put it on crackers, veggies, pita chips, etc. I also like to use hummus instead of mayo on sandwiches. There's also a delicious recipe for hummus crusted chicken that even my hubby likes! Here's the recipe: gimmesomeoven.com/hummus-crusted-chicken/#_a5y_p=1169760

Good luck!
  • synchkat
    Options
    Thanks peeps.
    I got him jerky and cottage cheese.
    If he doesn't like the selection of what I got him he can do his own shopping next time
  • MamaTraver
    MamaTraver Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My husband likes eating nuts, most are a good source of protein I believe.