Water and No Water, That is the question!

Options
I have never been a big water drinker, but I made it my goal to drink 8 cups a day which before, I would not even drink 8 cups a week.

I was wondering if anyone has dieted both with and without the extra water, and if so, did it make a difference?

Have you noticed any other changes from drinking plenty of water each day?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever get my 8 glasses of water in. I've made a concerted effort to do it a few times, and felt... different. Not necessarily better. Maybe more hydrated. No change to my weight loss between the two.

We get plenty of hydration from foods & other liquids. As long as you feel okay and your urine is coming out the right color, you're probably fine ignoring your water count.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You need more than one glass of water per day for health reasons. More water also helps flush out excess sodium, which causes water retention and hence excess pounds on scales.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    The amount of water you really need is up to you and your body. Personally, I drink a lot of plain water (with a bit of lemon or cucumber simply because I like the flavor) daily. Yes, you can get enough hydration via food and other drinks, but for me water benefits me health-wise tremendously. As for weight loss, not necessarily.
  • jmh_90
    jmh_90 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight. It is not necessary but it helps. You just need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight. And drinking water has helped me a lot to not eat unnecessary food. When I have a craving I just drink water and sometimes after that I don't even have the craving anymore. It was just that I needed hydration.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    There was a time that all I drank were a couple diet sodas a day and lost weight fine. (Fun fact: I was also eating A LOT of sodium at the time.) Then I made some changes after hitting a plateau and drank more water and watched my sodium (neither were the culprits) and still lost weight.

It's probably good for you healthwise but I don't think it matters weight loss wise.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    it wont make a difference weight loss wise, as long as you are not drinking other calories.

i used to have a nasty dr pepper addiction. slowly (over a month or so) weaned myself off it and replaced with flavored water. now i drink plain water and cant stand the taste of dr pepper... (i do drink no calorie sodas though on occasion)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    556qw04eudvw.jpg

Nuff said?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have never been a big water drinker, but I made it my goal to drink 8 cups a day which before, I would not even drink 8 cups a week.

I was wondering if anyone has dieted both with and without the extra water, and if so, did it make a difference?

Have you noticed any other changes from drinking plenty of water each day?

drinking water doesn't really have anything to do with losing weight...there's more to health than losing weight...being hydrated is healthy.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    556qw04eudvw.jpg

Nuff said?

No. Someone needs to fix the typo. And add beets to the "Be Aware" part. :)
  • kdunn4990
    kdunn4990 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink a gallon of water a day. Not sure how much it helps with weight loss, but the more hydrated your body is, the better. It will eventually cut out bloating and can actually help to make you more regular.