Alcohol

Options
If you accommodate alcohol (wine, spirits, beer) into your calorie intake, will it have an effect on your weight loss? Or do all calories count as calories regardless?

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    emmas434 wrote: »
    If you accommodate alcohol (wine, spirits, beer) into your calorie intake, will it have an effect on your weight loss? Or do all calories count as calories regardless?

All Calories count as Calories, because a Calorie is just a unit of measurement.

Pure alcohol provides about 7 Calories per gram. Wine and beer also contain carbohydrates (4 Calories per gram) in addition to the alcohol. Your body will metabolize alcohol before any other food or drink, and you have to include those in your Calorie intake. Food and other drinks contain micro- and macronutrients that your body needs to survive, alcohol doesn't. The bottom line is: the more Calories you get from alcohol, the less Calories you can get from other food and drinks and still hit your daily caloric intake goal.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    No shame... I accommodate my choices throughout the day to make room for my wine in the evening. ;) Any food or drink with calories will effect your caloric intake. Its up to you how you want to "spend" it. Some days its money well spent, other days I'd rather spend it on food. If not logged properly (honestly) alcohol will easily eat up any deficit you created.
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    calories are calories and calories from booze are my favorite ;)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    calories are calories and calories from booze are my favorite ;)

Agreed. If you can fit the calories from booze in your day then you are good to go.