RED STRETCH MARKS VS WHITE STRETCH MARKS

Options
I used to think red stretch marks meant gaining weight and white ones meant your losing because i always saw white ones when i was losing then i read somewhere that red just means new ones and white are old ones and u just seem them more when u lose weight because your skin is less stretched out so they are more visible. is this true? either way i would still look at white stretchmarks as losing weight and a good marker to know WHERE you lost weight, every white stretchmark i see i know where i'm losing my weight and its always accurate.

Replies

• Bacardibarker
    Bacardibarker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hiya,
    I would get red/purple stretch marks when they are new and ofter a time they would turn to silver.
    When I've lost weight they are fine dented lines in my skin. I can feel them as well as see them.
    Much prefer the silver lines. :o)
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    the only stretch marks I got were from my pregnancy with my first son. I didn't have them at all during pregnancy (I ballooned from a size 4 to a size 12), I got them a few days after I gave birth. they were angry and red the first few months and then faded away ti silver. I still see them but they aren't that noticeable unless you really look.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I may have had red stretch marks but I never noticed I had any (they were whitish-silver) until my sister pointed them out. I grew from 5'3" to 5'8" in a matter of one year and I think this is why I may have gotten them. I have them on my knees and inner thigh and on the side of my buttocks.
    I think they get smaller with weight loss- not too sure though. I think I've seen them becoming smaller as the skin gets tighter?
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    White stretch marks are that color because of the length of time you've had them.. not because you're losing weight. Like any other scar, they fade over time.
  • MyseriMapleleaf
    MyseriMapleleaf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lzmo57aEzr1rohemto1_400.jpg
  • kellybelly113
    kellybelly113 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

I love that photo.
    I've also had red ones, but they fade to lighter...white/silver like others have said. I wish it meant you were loosing :)
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I've heard the red ones you can treat with vitamins and cocoa butter, but once they go white - your stuck with them for life. :sad:
  • robinjjordan
    Options
    i know it just means their old but im telling u when u lose weight in a certain spot u notice stretch marks u havent noticed before cuz their more obvious with the skin tighter in that area so technically they do mean ur losing weight!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I've heard the red ones you can treat with vitamins and cocoa butter, but once they go white - your stuck with them for life. :sad:

Cocoa butter and vitamins are good for you skin, but once you have a stretch mark it's there. They fade over time though and become less noticeable.
  • tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm the biggest I've ever been (which still isn't considered big by most at 135 lbs, 5'5, 26 y/o) and I've had white stretch marks on the side of my butt cheeks ever since I can remember. They were never red though.
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks are mostly genetic and pretty much only time will turn the red ones to white. Then they are yours for life.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    That is largely accurate, red stretch marks are new ones. White/silver stretch marks are older ones. Generally you don't get stretch marks losing weight, you get them gaining weight... but they do turn lighter as you lose weight generally since there is less tension on them. All stretchmarks start red and then shift to white/silver over time. After you've been at a lower weight for a while you generally have them get thinner too.
  • jessicaparker989
    Options
    Hey i was obese during my teens. After losing quite a lot of weight; the red colored stretch marks were so visible on my body at certain areas. They looked so ugly; the happy part was eventually the color of these marks lightened. They were white in color and cant be identified as easily as it used to when i just lost most of the pounds.

Even during my first pregnancy, there were visible marks on my tummy. Now that i'm using the olive oil on tummy, the marks dont look ugly. in fact these have faded a lot.
  • angelaclinton488
    Options
    I had my 2nd baby and got a few white stretch marks below my belly button I have been using dermalmd stretch mark serum as directed every day twice a day for about a month and also using a coffee body scrub I made on the area every day and I have noticed a huge difference it says best results in 12 wks
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I'm pretty sure this only applies to women who have been pregnant. While I accept my body for all the damage I caused it, I don't feel much like I've earned any tiger stripes.

And then of course you can have stretch marks without being obese OR pregnant, and whaddayagonnado.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Options
    I get stretch marks very easily, I had them by the time I was a teenager, and I wasn't particularly overweight then. Now I have millions due to weight gain and pregnancy. I have a male friend who has them on his back from a growth spurt as a teenager. They are just no big deal. We all need to calm down and stop trying to look like we've been Photoshopped.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Always a poster with 1 post who resurrects these 4 year old dead threads lol.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I'm not sure. During my pregnancies, I didn't get stretch marks. Then the second I gave birth i would have a few pale purple or white ones. Now they are white. I honestly think it has more to do with genetics than anything. Mine don't take long to go to white. Sometimes they start white.

Its well documented that creams and serums do nothing to help.

Sigh. I got caught by a zombie.