What to do when you have unhealthy visitors?

Options
Ok so there are 2 other adults in my household who don't care about their weight and that's easy for me to handle. But then I have my mum and her partner coming for a visit for 1.5 weeks and their even worse with their eating habits.
How would you handle it? I know I need the willpower!!!!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Pre-planning. Being prepared is your best defence. If you're not prepared and don't have food in the house that you can easily make up and have, it is more likely that you will just say "stuff it" and have what they're having. Pre-cook some soups, stews and whatnot and freeze them. Also, look into tasty meals which fit your goals which you can make for everyone. I tend to make sure I'm the one cooking most of the time so I can control it. When you do decide to splurge a little, log it, make room for it, add a salad on the side etc.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    You're the host ... if they are expecting you to cook, cook good stuff, the stuff you normally eat.

If they want snacks, get a veggie tray from your local grocery store deli.

Have a bowl of fruit on the counter and tell them to help themselves if they feel a bit peckish.

And be active ... take them on walking tours, hikes, etc. etc. :)
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    You're the host ... if they are expecting you to cook, cook good stuff, the stuff you normally eat.

If they want snacks, get a veggie tray from your local grocery store deli.

Have a bowl of fruit on the counter and tell them to help themselves if they feel a bit peckish.

And be active ... take them on walking tours, hikes, etc. etc. :)

This!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Shesaleo18 wrote: »
    Ok so there are 2 other adults in my household who don't care about their weight and that's easy for me to handle. But then I have my mum and her partner coming for a visit for 1.5 weeks and their even worse with their eating habits.
    How would you handle it? I know I need the willpower!!!!

What exactly is the problem? Will they bring their own food with them? And then force you to share? If your mum is the type of person who will come for a week and take over the shopping and kitchen, then either tell her this is out of the question, or pre plan your own meals, and remember it is just a few days and it shall pass.
    If you just feel the need to buy all sorts of foods you do not normally eat just to make them happy, don't. If they want to eat out or order take away, just make your own healthier choices.
  • eacoy51
    eacoy51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This problem is two-fold and I wrestle with it also. (1) Guests expect "favorite foods that are over days become too rich and fattening". (2) I am tempted and have to work hard to resist falling back into gluttonous habits. These visits are powerful triggers.

In my case I try to offer the expected food, resist it and model eating more healthily with additional good food that I always eat. My success is mixed and it takes me weeks afterward to get my own focus back firmly in place.

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't know how you arrange the cooking when this happens, but I'd probably announce a special meal and ask which day they wanted it. That's the meal that would be a splurge. Then for the other meals, just cook regular stuff (but nothing super-diet, if you know what I mean). Make enough for larger portions than you usually have, lol.

And let them know they are welcome to bake cookies or meals or whatever, too, for themselves and to make themselves at home. If they push you to eat all sorts of things you shouldn't, either take a little bit only or mention that you like to wait until the special meal day to have your treats :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Generally when people are guests in my home I prepare meals, etc...they eat what I prepare...I don't really do "diet food"...I just prepare food...some of it is more calorie dense and some of it is less...I make my portions of whatever it is fit appropriately.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Generally when people are guests in my home I prepare meals, etc...they eat what I prepare...I don't really do "diet food"...I just prepare food...some of it is more calorie dense and some of it is less...I make my portions of whatever it is fit appropriately.

+1000