Don't know where to progress to

Options
Hi everyone.

In 2015 I went from 18 and a half stone to 13 and a half stone by a mixture of extreme dieting, lifting weights, running, cycling, walking etc and went from around 30% to 17% body fat. I am 21 and 6ft 5 inches tall, and am now at a stage where I do not know where to progress.
Ideally in the future I would like to look more muscular and defined with lower body fat %, but I am not sure whether I should bulk up a little bit or continue to cut to be more defined.
The target is to look much more aesthetically appealing for a trip to USA in July.

Any ideas what I should do would be very useful to me

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You would probably get a better response if you moved this question to the fitness thread.

What I can say is whether you decide on a further cut, a bulk ( probably not given your BF), or a recomp you do need to get your nutrition in line first to get the most benefit, especially if you are coming off a VLCD ( hope it was medically monitored).

Cheers, h.
  • norg
    norg Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You would probably get a better response if you moved this question to the fitness thread.

What I can say is whether you decide on a further cut, a bulk ( probably not given your BF), or a recomp you do need to get your nutrition in line first to get the most benefit, especially if you are coming of a VLCD ( hope it was medically monitored).

Cheers, h.

Yes my nutrition has been on point all year as best as I could with the help of my two mates who are fitness instructors. Is it worth me seeing a doctor to check out my current health?

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Re going to the doctor:
    That would do you no harm especially given your background of extreme dieting. Depending on the extremeness of the diet, one never knows if this has caused lasting damage.
    Fitness instructors are rarely qualified to advise on diet and nutrition.

You know what they say- forewarned is forearmed.
    Know your in reasonable shape to continue challenging your body. It will help prevent injury, health problems and burn out.

Cheers, h.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    norg wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

In 2015 I went from 18 and a half stone to 13 and a half stone by a mixture of extreme dieting, lifting weights, running, cycling, walking etc and went from around 30% to 17% body fat. I am 21 and 6ft 5 inches tall, and am now at a stage where I do not know where to progress.
    Ideally in the future I would like to look more muscular and defined with lower body fat %, but I am not sure whether I should bulk up a little bit or continue to cut to be more defined.
    The target is to look much more aesthetically appealing for a trip to USA in July.

Any ideas what I should do would be very useful to me

Depending on how accurate your 17% BF reading is...I'd probably recommend cutting at least a couple more points off that before trying to bulk (add muscle). At higher (15%+) BF percentages, more of the gains will be fat vs. muscle.

Not sure what you mean by "extreme dieting" - but make sure you're getting adequate nutrition and fueling your workouts.

Keep lifting - if you're not doing a structured program now, start looking into them and pick one to follow.