Protein shake for women?

Options
I don't know if this is the right section to put this in but I really need some advice for a good protein shake. I keep hearing a ton of different things about them. And I when I go to gnc they just push whatever they have instead of really hearing me out. I could really appreciate the help for finding the right one to use.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What would make it for a woman?

Do you know what kind of protein you want? Whey? Casein? A blend of both? Pea?

You really can't go wrong with Quest, ON, or PEScience in my opinion.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I like ON , french vanilla flavor.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I personally like the vegan protein powder because the normal ones give me gas if I eat/drink them on a regular basis.

you'll probably need to experiment with a few brands to see which one tastes better - some of them taste like *kitten* (or muddy river water, as a colleague once put it)

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If your diet has enough protein, protein shakes are probably pointless.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You first need to decide whether or not you are hitting your protein needs through your normal diet of food. If you are, supplementing with a protein shake is kind of pointless and a waste of money.

Secondly, there isn't going to be a difference between male/female, the ingredient is the same, protein.

You have a few options for protein powders:
    Whey (concentrate, isolate, etc.)- derived from milk, thin consistency, fast absorbing

Casein- Also derived from milk, but much thicker, slower absorbing

Egg White- derived from eggs, consistency depends on brand, faster absorbing

Beef Protein- ew, just why

Vegan Protein Powders:
    soy protein, pea protein, rice protein, and hemp protein
    Consistency depends on brand but most i've had were gritty in texture and expensive. In addition the protein is of a lower quality and less bioavailable than the above proteins.

In my opinion, the best option for you is to just get some whey protein to begin with assuming you aren't vegan or lactose intolerant. Not only is it cheap, but it's easily accessible and offered in numerous flavors.

I like the brands: muscle milk, optimum nutrition, dymatize, syntha 6, muscle tech, and cellucor. They have a plethora of flavors and options, but i tend to go with things like: chocolate, vanilla milkshake, cookies n cream, banana cream, caramel cookie,, etc. I tend to avoid fruit flavors as i think they are pretty terrible.

You can purchase protein in powder form that you mix with water/milk/etc. or you can buy ready to drink protein shakes.

I try to look for protein powder in the less than 150 cal range and 20-25g protein range.

At the end of the day you will get a hundred responses with each and every persons individual brand and flavor they like. My opinion is to just get out there and try a bunch yourself. Won't know until you try it, and it's easier to try the flavors and brands available in your area.

If you want to order online, i suggest bodybuilding.com
  • frugalshrimp
    frugalshrimp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love ON french vanilla. I need a boost in the middle of my work day! ON has lots of flavors, but some are not great. I wish they gave out samples so you could try them before having to buy a big jar.
  • Dessert2004
    Dessert2004 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like Advocare vanilla. Low calorie and lots of protein.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    What would be the difference between a protein shake for men or women? Any protein claiming to be gender specific is just a money grab. Several lifter girls I know drink regular whey isolate and have no issue making gains or recovering. Proper nutrition should be your biggest concern.
    But ON, beyond yourself, pro jym, protein world concentrate. All good brands. Jym being my personal favourite just not cheap
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You are already at a low calorie diet. If you take away calories for shakes, you will end up having very little room for actual food.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

exactly, Protein shakes are for convenience. I use them because I don't eat meat for every meal every day and I'm losing weight (which means getting near 100% protein from a protein source is very useful when you don't have a lot of calories left). When I switch to gaining weight I'll probably use them less as it'll be easier to hit the protein goals.

I also use ON whey protein if you care.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Why is everyone assuming she's getting enough protein in her diet already or that she somehow doesn't know if she is? If she's supplementing, I'm sure it's for a reason. Personally, I can never quite seem to hit my protein goals. Shakes are a helpful way to fill up and easy on my stomach early in the morning or after a vigorous work out. If you are anti protein shake, why even join this discussion?

I use Muscle Pharm Combat Protein Powder Cookies and Cream, but I'm interested in other recommendations too!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am not going to question the reason why she is asking? I presume this person is capable of knowing what she needs in your daily diet, and being a woman I know that making my protein macro daily is hard with out the extra supplementation. I eat plenty of protein, but I need a bit extra to meet my goals..

GNC has variety and stay away from the Lean products. They are loaded with things and extremely high calorie.

Protein does not have to be just designed for women. I predict you do not need a protein that is more than 20 - 25 grams of protein in it.

I started out with Muscle Milk Knockut Chocolate that I got at Walmart. It is really yummy, and decent protein without bloating and things like that.

I moved on to bulk protein that I buy online and it is a lower carb optio,, 25 grams of protein, no bloat and fast acting. ISO-100 from Dymatize.

If you go to bodybuilding.com you can buy protein in small samples (such as servings of 1 to 7).. I prefer Whey to anything else, I do not lean toward anything vegan and or organic. So depending on this you will want to look into this a well.

So this is just some tid for tat on this, and hope anything helps a wee bit.. Best of Luck... :)
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    eep223 wrote: »

Why is everyone assuming she's getting enough protein in her diet already or that she somehow doesn't know if she is? If she's supplementing, I'm sure it's for a reason. Personally, I can never quite seem to hit my protein goals. Shakes are a helpful way to fill up and easy on my stomach early in the morning or after a vigorous work out. If you are anti protein shake, why even join this discussion?

I use Muscle Pharm Combat Protein Powder Cookies and Cream, but I'm interested in other recommendations too!

Lots of people supplement because they see other people supplement or they see commercials. There is no harm in pointing out that supplementing isn't required.

Most people could replace their protein shake with chicken breast and still make everything fit in their calories. Chicken breast = 75% protein for the calories, ON = is 80% protein for the calories. That is pretty dang close, and chicken breast is significantly cheaper at about half the price per gram of protein.

Like I said, when I stop dieting I plan on reducing the amount of protein powder I use, in part by cooking up a big tray of chicken breast on the weekends for use during the week. I don't do it now because I'm afraid it'll go to waste.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Anybody has thoughts on Horleys whey protein?
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    It's called "twerking." You're welcome.

I like
    Optimum nutrition
    BSN syntha-6
    myprotein.com

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    What would be the difference between a protein shake for men or women?

I can only guess that women's is pink and tastes of strawberries and cream, men's is black or ash grey and tastes of brick, rocks and venom.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    The only difference between female and male tailored protein powders is.. sometimes soy protein is marketed towards women.. iunno macros are macros.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    While I do take supplements for needs unique to being female, I wouldn't want to get them with a protein powder. I get the quantities I want in the forms I want when I buy things individually.
  • lovinglife876
    lovinglife876 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love having shakes, when you are busy and working and commuting sometimes a shake is all you have time to grab. Just try to find one with the lowest sugar numbers, or get into making green smoothies, can add protein powder to them and you have a nutritional powerhouse!
  • J383
    J383 Posts: 4,573 Member
    Options
    I make my own shakes. It is easy and I make them before I head to work. Spinach, triple zero yogurt, unsweet vanilla almond milk, frozen/fresh bananas, powder pb, chia seeds, unsweet cocoa powder. I get enough protein in my foods so I don't use protein powders. I would suggest researching what you think is best for your needs, if you feel you need more protein on a daily basis.