Sodium intake

Options
Okay, so we all know that things are very high in sodium nowadays, but deli meat is what's killing me. Nothing else appeals to me to pack for lunch except a good 'ol turkey sandwich, but it always puts me over my sodium goal. I've tried low sodium meat from the deli, but they seem to run out at my deli very quickly ( plus they have poor service). Does anyone have any recommendations for replacement quick lunch pack, or what kind I can easily buy with less Sodium?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Buy a roasted turkey breast or rotisserie chicken and just slice it yourself?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have a sandwich every day and don't go over my sodium, usually.

What other foods are you eating that are contributing to your sodium intake? Perhaps replacing those would be worth considering? :)

~Lyssa
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making a turkey/tuna/chicken etc salad kind of mix for your sandwiches where you can control the sodium amount, or just cook up some turkey breasts and slice or shred at home to use in place of the 'loafs' of it at the deli?
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    There are low sodium pouches of tuna, that could help. I agree, it you are having trouble replacing lunch meat, try another area or food. Frozen meals are notorious for high sodium. Today I knew I was having a frozen meal for dinner, do I adjusted my usual vegan kielbasa(sadly high sodium) for for a baked chicken thigh. For me, it's being mindful of my plans for the whole day that helps me know how to adjust. Good luck!
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I haven't had deli meat in months. I will cook chicken or turkey if I want a sandwich. Can't see your dairy so not sure what else you are eating. It took me a while to get my sodium intake in control I am getting better at it.
  • Zellyrus
    Zellyrus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Can you use less deli meat and add something else to your sandwich to replace the calories? (tomato/avacado/cheese (although this can e high in sodium)/etc)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Ditto for tuna pouches. Try them !
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    We started cooking our own turkey, chicken, ...... just to avoid the sodium. I recall Boars Head being lower sodium in the deli, it's not cheap.
  • erinsiren
    erinsiren Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will try cooking my own turkey or buying those tuna pouches.