Over daily calories... tell me it's not the end of the world!

Options
My daily recommended calories from MFP is 1200. Today I ate just over 1350, but still burned about 300 in exercise. I know I shouldn't be stressing as I still created a deficit I just need some reassurance. Is this even worth thinking about, any chance this could interfere with my weekly loss?

I'm very rigid when it comes to weight loss, guess it comes down to making that mental shift. Even if I've balanced it out with exercises I can't help but feel a little guilt/stress if my calories are up a bit.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It isn't the end of the world. And you're still under your calories actually, as you should be hitting 1200 net (including exercise).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You're still under your goal since you burned some exercising. I don't understand the problem.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    With MFP they expect you to eat your calories back so you are still under for the day. Even if you ate 1350 and didn't exercise you would still be in a deficit since that is built into your calorie goal.

Maybe it would be a good idea to read the announcements in here and the Getting Started forum so you have a better idea about how MFP is set up. This link does a great job of explaining it as well:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    By my math, you still have 150 calories to use. Congrats! That's a victory. The winner is the one who gets to eat the most while still losing.
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My daily recommended calories from MFP is 1200. Today I ate just over 1350, but still burned about 300 in exercise. I know I shouldn't be stressing as I still created a deficit I just need some reassurance. Is this even worth thinking about, any chance this could interfere with my weekly loss?

I'm very rigid when it comes to weight loss, guess it comes down to making that mental shift. Even if I've balanced it out with exercises I can't help but feel a little guilt/stress if my calories are up a bit.

Stressing out over small stuff like this is only setting yourself up for failure in the long run. And regardless, you're still under for the day.

Nothing to worry about. Breathe. :)
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    1200 is very low for a good portion of people. Also. I've lost 60lbs while on MFP and I can't tell you how many days I went over. And by much more than 150, lol. Like, I mean eating absolutely everything I wanted last year when I went to New York (including more Nutella shakes and vodka than I care to mention).

And as other posters mentioned, you're still in deficit with what you burned.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I remember when I used to worry about small overages like that, and then I overate 800+ calories a few times, nothing happened at all, and I haven't worried since.
  • nichos
    nichos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you're actually ahead if you consider the exercise.
    But even if you weren't and you go over 1 day, it's important to get right back to it tomorrow. Remind yourself why you're doing this. It's not the end of the world, but you'll just have to try a bit harder don't get discouraged!
  • larissamalcolm
    larissamalcolm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    1350 would probably still be a calorie deficit even if you didn't burn any extra due to your bmr. Don't sweat the small stuff (or the big stuff). And even if you ate 2300 you always have tomorrow. It's the day to day consistency that matters not one day in time.
  • larissamalcolm
    larissamalcolm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    And weight loss isn't linear. It's up and down over time.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    youre doomed.
  • stranger2310
    stranger2310 Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You're absolutely fine!!! Take a breather, remember how hard you've worked at the gym or elsewhere, and that you still have calories left.

MFP sets you a lowest possible calorie intake based on your physical profile, and how many lbs a week you want to lose. I assume you've set it to 2lbs based on your calorie goal per day. If you went much under that, you wouldn't have enough calories to possibly get all the nutrients necessary for a balanced lifestyle or to keep your body ticking. That's why, when you exercise, MFP gives you more calories, so that you can still reach that goal.

Exercising is good; eating back those calories that you've burnt is not bad - it's just a way of replenishing your body. You've worked your heart, and you've worked your muscles, and they need food to recover. Just because you eat more, this does not stop the fact that you're strengthening your body in the long run.
  • sparrish531
    sparrish531 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    150 over a very aggressive calorie goal, but good exercise...you are doing great. You got this. Focus on a good night of sleep and your next exercise session.
  • ruralife
    ruralife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been told that some people go by weekly totals rather than daily. This way, you can have a treat or a meal out and still lose weight by adjusting your food and exercise over the week.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    So not the end of the world...
    Look at your weekly numbers if dailies drive you crazy. They're more reliable.