Hypo/Hyperthyroidism

Options
2»

Replies

• cnldance
    cnldance Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting on test results. I have a different autoimmune disease (Crohn's) and it's fairly common to develop others. I have Crohn's fatigue but it is crazy bad right now. The iv infusion I get every 6 weeks usually gives me a few weeks of near normal energy but last two times it hasn't ;(

i'm very sorry to hear that but still please remain hopeful and dont ever give up! you can do this!
  • cnldance
    Options
    missigus wrote: »
    Hi, I've had Hashimoto's for 30 years. My Son was also diagnosed with it 10 years ago. He was 7 at the time. I struggled for years trying to find a Dr. That would treat me as a person not a number. I too only took T4 for years and had chronic symptoms. I am now on a natural thyroid that has a lot of aT3 and my Dr. Just added some additional T4 last week because I was low. I found out that my body wasn't converting T4 to T3. So all that T4 was useless. As thyroid patients we are All different. Doctors really need to look at all the lab tests to get an accurate picture of what's going on. One TSH just doesn't cut it. I feel pretty good most of the time, but still struggle with weight loss. It just doesn't come off quickly!

thanks for sharing your story. honestly, weightloss is tough enough as it is without all the EXTRA complications but it's still good to know what the root of
    the problem is.
  • cnldance
    Options
    hhcampy wrote: »
    Hello all- been dealing with hypothyroidism for 5 years and recently diagnosed with hashimotos . My weight is at the highest it's ever been and the scale won't go down. I could really use all the advice that y'all can give about how you are losing weight and maintaining healthy numbers.

every body is different and what works for me may not work for you. however, i surround myself with very positive people and i am on a "strict" 1200 calorie diet and do heavy weight training and hiit training. the weight is not coming off quickly but im. it going to stop. the work will pay off definitely. keep going! you can do this!
  • cnldance
    Options
    Linseymout wrote: »
    I have had my meds upped and downed more times than I can remember to attempt to get my thyroid functioning. I'm now with a great GP who checks my bloods every 3 months to make sure it's doing what it should. In the last year I've lost 77lbs and still going..... Your choice but personally a good enough GP can get it sorted too. Good luck.

awesome! thanks for sharing. i have a great GP but i prefer to see an endo. i have more than just a thyroid problem so i decided to go there. but the thyroid problem seems to be the root pf all my problems.
  • cnldance
    Options
    So, do you all think I should see out an endocrinologist instead of talking to my gp?

i would talk to you GP first, if you feel like you want to see an endo then i would go ahead and ask your doctor to refer you to one. it's your preference
  • cnldance
    Options
    MyBoyG wrote: »
    My Ob/Gyn tests all her patients after 45 for thyroid. I was diagnosed hypothyroidism about 12 years ago. My symptoms were always feeling chilled, gaining weight and feeling sluggish. She recommended an Endocronologist who put me on Synthroid. Unfortunately, once started there doesn't appear to be an end to taking meds :neutral:

Especially while losing or gaining weight, you need to be tested when you have an approximate 15# gain/loss or if you find that your hands begin to shake or you have heart flutters, as the dosage is weight based. It does take time for your body to adjust to the meds. When my dosage is lowered, I don't lose weight as quickly.

thanks for sharing that with us; yes those were my exact symptoms. my dose was waaaay too low. im on a higher does and so far i feel great. im excited to go up on a higher dose i feel like that will help my thyroid a lot and help me feel a lot better.
  • cnldance
    Options
    Sometimes when you have Hashimoto's the symptoms come and go and aren't necessarily associated with out of range changes in your TSH until it gets worse.
    Auto-immune conditions suck! They're just so vague and unhelpful and they don't push the dr's in the right direction.
    With Hashimoto's it can be worth getting an ultrasound done, as the changes there can show up while the numbers are still mostly normal despite your symptoms.

I already had an ultrasound done. i need to get another one, but i've pretty much been through it all.

• cnldance
    Options
    i recently started levothyroxine. has it caused weight gain in you guys? i've been on it for like a week and i would like to know what to expect.

i have only experienced weight gain because my meds needed to be upped.
  • cnldance
    Options
    Yay! Thyroid support. I was diagnosed with my thyroid disorder a year and a half ago. Since then my dose of levothyroxine has been upped 3 times. I just had baby boy three months ago, and I would love to loose the weight I've gained the past two years and be back to my healthy weight.
    Is there anything I can do to help my thyroid out? I really can't do a low calorie diet, because I'm breastfeeding. Loosing weight is proving to be harder this time around. I had my first son 4 years ago and the weight seemed to just melt off.

maybe try high intensity interval training? circuits and etc if you cant do low cal diet.
  • cnldance
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    I have Hashimotos. No symptoms - but because I've been exhausted for years he had been regularly testing my thyroid. It was low in October, he ran antibody tests, and the rest is history.

Ask your doctor to do the refined testing that includesT3 and rT3. T3 is the (or one of the) happy thyroid enzymes. Your body naturally makes it from T4 (the normal supplement). But when your thyroid is impaired, it sometimes makes rT3 (an anti-happy enzyme) instead.

I started on a low dose of T4 - and now have a bit too much rT3, but not enough to change doses at my last visit. If the trend continues, he will cut back my T4 (since my body is turning it into the wrong thing) and add T3 directly. This makes much more sense to me than continuing to dump T4 (which most doctors do - and it sounds as if yours may have done). The primary result of that is that your overall thyroid numbers look fine (e.g. no more hypothyroid) - but the composition of the overall thyroid enzymes is really crappy - and you feel crappy.

Also make sure to get your vitamin D checked - very low vitamin D can be the trigger that makes Hashimoto's manifest itself, and may help put it back in remission.

Finally, make sure you check for diabetes. That was my triple whammy birthday diagnosis - and it is apparently very common for all three to be present.

im so sorry. but the good news is youre here and you can take care of yourself and have support of others who have similar issues as you do. thanks for your concern...no diabetes here though. i pray it stays that way.
  • mom2djld
    mom2djld Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    cnldance wrote: »
    Hi guys!

So basically I made this thread for people struggling with hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. I used MFP in the past when I was in my teens and it was never really hard for me to lose weight with proper diet and exercise...up until now. I'm 24 now, but when I was about 20 my doctor diagnosed me with hypo thyroidism. Basically my thyroid is slow so she prescibed me a low dose of meds for it. I took it religiously but it didnt make me feel better at all. My hair was falling out, I experienced extreme fatigue, etc.

Fast forward....

I started seeing a therapist in the beginning of last year and she advised me to go see an endocrinologist as I described to her my health and family health history. I went to the doctor yesterday and was told my thyroid is in pretty bad shape. So bad that it's three times the size it should be so she immediately upped my meds and advised I go on a strict 1200 calorie diet. It was hopeful, but also frustrating because I have been on a strict diet and workout plan for 5 months now and all I've been doing is gaining....unheard of right? turns out my thyroid is the culprit.

This thread is for people with Hashimotos or thyroid problems. I offer any and all support I can give. Feel free to share your stories and add me as a friend :)

• hannahpirtle
    hannahpirtle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I suffered from Graves Disease for 5 years. It almost took my life a few times. Had radiation twice. Now hypo controlled with meds. I have fibromyalgia as well. Road blocks but keep trying......

mom2djld wrote: »
    cnldance wrote: »
    Hi guys!

So basically I made this thread for people struggling with hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. I used MFP in the past when I was in my teens and it was never really hard for me to lose weight with proper diet and exercise...up until now. I'm 24 now, but when I was about 20 my doctor diagnosed me with hypo thyroidism. Basically my thyroid is slow so she prescibed me a low dose of meds for it. I took it religiously but it didnt make me feel better at all. My hair was falling out, I experienced extreme fatigue, etc.

Fast forward....

I started seeing a therapist in the beginning of last year and she advised me to go see an endocrinologist as I described to her my health and family health history. I went to the doctor yesterday and was told my thyroid is in pretty bad shape. So bad that it's three times the size it should be so she immediately upped my meds and advised I go on a strict 1200 calorie diet. It was hopeful, but also frustrating because I have been on a strict diet and workout plan for 5 months now and all I've been doing is gaining....unheard of right? turns out my thyroid is the culprit.

This thread is for people with Hashimotos or thyroid problems. I offer any and all support I can give. Feel free to share your stories and add me as a friend :)

• ohiostatejen
    ohiostatejen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at eleven years old. It has made maintaining a healthy weight difficult. I had an endocrinologist in Ohio that liked to keep his patients at TSH of 1.0. I felt great at that time, but we have moved a few times and I have been through many different doctors, all with different thoughts about what is in the normal range (Anywhere from .3 - 5.0 and .3-3.0 TSH). Has anyone else experienced this and noticed that this has affected their ability to loose weight? Also, has anyone found that a combination of T3 and T4 makes it easier to loose weight? I also was diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia several hears ago and take monthly B12 injections. Thanks for any input!
  • calston2
    calston2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I was diagnosed with hypo thyroidism at 26. Always struggled with losing weight. Had a baby 3 years ago and am struggling more to loose. Am 25lbs overweight and my goal is to work hard to get to where I should be. I'd love to hear from you. Please add me as a friend. Ciao.
  • leonie45
    leonie45 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Just stumbled on this thread. I have hypothyroid for approximately 5 years now. Weight loss is so hard, I'm going to start 16:8 intermittent fasting, has anyone tried it and if so what are your results?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at eleven years old. It has made maintaining a healthy weight difficult. I had an endocrinologist in Ohio that liked to keep his patients at TSH of 1.0. I felt great at that time, but we have moved a few times and I have been through many different doctors, all with different thoughts about what is in the normal range (Anywhere from .3 - 5.0 and .3-3.0 TSH). Has anyone else experienced this and noticed that this has affected their ability to loose weight? Also, has anyone found that a combination of T3 and T4 makes it easier to loose weight? I also was diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia several hears ago and take monthly B12 injections. Thanks for any input!

It depends on the individual I guess, but for 20 years now since my initial diagnosis, several endocrinologists have always upped my meds whenever TSH goes above the 1.5-2.0. The few times it has got to the upper levels of normal, I noticed a huge energy loss.