Macro nutrients keep changing.

my macronutrients keep changing.
is this typical?

for example my protein goal today went up to 135grams
day before it was 118
day before it was 99
day before it was 103

seems very random my walking activity has gone up, reaching every day 10000 to 20000 steps or slightly more some days.

is there any corelation with anything as to why this is affected from day to day?

Thanks!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    your goal should be set according to your calorie goal.

i'm not certain, but it sounds like you are linking MFP with a fitbit or something which adds additional calories for you to eat. It will probably add additional calories and those calories must come from somewhere.

You should have your goal set to a percentage. Like 30% fat, 30% protein, 40% carbs. I'm assuming it just adds on to those in the percentage when it adds calories?

i dont know...
  • shadow4478
    shadow4478 Posts: 37 Member
    I use withings,
    And yes it sends my steps to MFP, in return MFP gives me extra credit if i excerise a lot.
    I didn't realize that that changed my nutrients.
  • rainbowbow
    shadow4478 wrote: »
    I use withings,
    And yes it sends my steps to MFP, in return MFP gives me extra credit if i excerise a lot.

Well carbs are 4 calories per gram, protein is 4 calories per gram, and fat is 9 calories per gram. All food is made up of these three things.

So it stands to reason that it adds one calories it has to add on carbs protein and fat.

Although I wouldn't worry about it to much as long as you've met the original goal. I'd use the additional calories as I saw fit.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Aren't exercise calories split into your macros?

So as you move more you gain calories and there for more room for macros?

Like your macro goals = calories

So if you change one the other must change?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    ​Please see this article, and search for other helpful articles, on the MFP Help pages...

"The calories added to your daily goal are divided among the various nutrients such as fat, carbs, and protein, which is why these increase when you log calories from exercise."

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1027478-why-do-my-daily-nutrient-values-and-my-calorie-goal-change-when-i-log-exercise-
  • iShineBright_27
    iShineBright_27 Posts: 29 Member
    edited January 2016
    Your protein should should only change when your weight changes when calculating macros.

How to calculate protein from macros. Weight x 1.1 = Minimum amount of protein you should be consuming to maintain an anabolic state (burning fat and maintaining muscle )

Hope this helps!! :)
  • sewnso
    sewnso Posts: 1 Member
    Today all of my nutrition goals reset themselves - what happened?
  • CyberTone
    sewnso wrote: »
    Today all of my nutrition goals reset themselves - what happened?

You are going to need to provide some additional information about what you are seeing and what you may have done different since the last time you looked at your goals. The most likely cause is that you updated your current weight in the Goals section, instead of in the Check-In section. Another possibility is that you logged Cardiovascular exercise and the extra Calories were added to your day and divided across the nutrients: carbs, fats, and protein.

Since your Diary is not public, a general MFP user can not see your Diary to give you much help. I would recommend opening a Case with Customer Support on the MFP Help pages...

myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/emails/new

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Not sure what you're doing but Protein should be fairly steady, and probably in the 65-75 gram/day range for you.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    I use withings,

Sometimes I log my calories burned as 1 so it doesn't mess with my macros. Other days I remember what they are supposed to be, so it doesn't matter lol! There is a setting you can change so the added activity won't mess with your macro goals.
  • lexie2k
    lexie2k Posts: 1 Member
    My macros change every time I go back into my app it says to update weight and activity I have no option but to hit done and it resets macros back to default and overrides my settings!
  • danwilk
    danwilk Posts: 11 Member
    If you add exercise or link a device that updates MFP with exercise or workouts it will add those calories back into your calories for the day, which will change your macros for that day. This happens on the free version. I was on premium and had this turned off, but when I went back to the free version I noticed my macros were changing based on my workout calories being added back to my daily calories. I don't like this but it's not worth $50 to remove. $50 is way expensive for premium service for what you get.
  • danwilk
    danwilk Posts: 11 Member
    I use withings,

Sometimes I log my calories burned as 1 so it doesn't mess with my macros. Other days I remember what they are supposed to be, so it doesn't matter lol! There is a setting you can change so the added activity won't mess with your macro goals.

That setting is only available in the premium version.
  • rainbowbow
    danwilk wrote: »
    I use withings,

That setting is only available in the premium version.

How did you run across this post?

I do find this interesting, but this thread is from a year ago. ;)
  • amukian
    amukian Posts: 1 Member
    My macros change as well! I have just noticed it after a week when I wanted to update my macros!!!!
    Week before happened exactly the same! I thought I was not being careful and messed something up but no!! My carbs went up 10gr and fat 2!
    I do not log exercises and I do not sync with any device but my phone!
    What's going on? I'm kind of disappointed
  • lenright2
    lenright2 Posts: 1 Member
    Also wondering why my sugar goals vary from day to day from 88 to 95 grams as a goal per day?
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    I use withings,

Your macros are set as a percentage of your calories so if your calories change so will the macro goals. 20% of 1500 isn't the same figure as 20% of 1900
  • CyberTone
    lenright2 wrote: »
    Also wondering why my sugar goals vary from day to day from 88 to 95 grams as a goal per day?

Since you have a Premium account, you have the option to have different goals for each day of the week. Did you happen to change your goals? Or, if you log an MFP exercise, your Calories and most nutrients will be increased to account for the extra Calories earned from exercise. I would check those first. If there still is a problem, I would recommend opening a Case with Customer Support on the MFP Help/FAQ pages...

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/emails/new