How to increse upper body strenght?

Options
I have very low upper body strenght. Pushups are 'mission: impossible' for me. lol So, if I can't even do pushups, how can I increse my strenght??

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Everyone can do push-ups. Start on your knees, and if even this is impossible start with your hands on a step, or a table, or even try wall push-ups. And do not have expectations of e.g. doing sets of 20 push-ups. Doing one push-up on your knees is a start.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    This▲▲▲ The push up idea is good - also pick a weight that you can pick up from the floor and lift it over your head a few times. You can use a dumbbell, a large book , milk jug full of water - what ever you have. Do it regularly - When you get to 2-3 sets of 10-12 find a heavier weight. Eastcoast Jim
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Do shoulder & chest presses with DBs. Lift weights in a progressive program. Eat enough food.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I had no strength either, but I'm slowly getting better. Ditto what everyone said above. Overhead presses are great. I started with push-ups on my knees and can now do a few full ones. If you keep at it you really will get stronger.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to work through push up progressions, then get a barbell/dumbbell and do bench presses and progressively add weights.

However, that is your triceps/chest, do rows and/or pull ups to hit biceps and your back.

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/exercise-progressions_12.html - has a good guide for progressions.