Need opinions on purchasing an indoor bike!

Options
So, my husband and I are slowly adding to our home gym and our next purchase is going to be an indoor bike. I love riding my bike outside and that is the preferred method, but in Indiana once the weather gets too cold and/or it is raining, it is just not as fun. So, I want a bike for the house.

Based on my research there are about 3 basic types of bikes (recumbent, upright and spinning). I know for sure the recumbent is out. I want the more traditional bike feel. So that leaves me with upright and spinning. I am also a "beginner" because most of my outdoor bike riding averages about 10-13 mph. I also am no skinny minny at the moment, so I am all about the bigger seat. However, I also want to improve my fitness along with weight loss.

I *think* the upright can get me what I want/need right now. My main concern is can I progress with it and eventually get an intense workout with it? Or can I only get intensity with the spinning bike? Whichever we purchase, we are definitely going to go with one that has resistance levels and the ability to personalize the workout.

Just curious what your experience has been and what you recommend?

Thanks!

Replies

• novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Keiser M3 is my personal favorite. It's pricey though. The magnetic resistance feels the most like a traditional bike.

You could try rollers. But you need to be really good at balance or it's dangerous.

Resistance trainers are usually loud and cumbersome. But you can use your own bike.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I tried a resistance trainer for my bike and didn't really like the feel of it. Plus, I hated having to move my bike back and forth (which involves stairs and maneuvering through my house). That is actually what started the conversation about getting an indoor bike. We felt it was worth it to get one with how much I used my trainer. Plus, my husband likes the idea of being able to use it too. ;)

That Keiser M3 does look really nice! Unfortunately, it is a little out of our price point. We were looking for something around 800-1200.
  • turtlesoup1957
    turtlesoup1957 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a Golds indoor bike. You can you IFIT to give you different workouts. It has quite a few different festures paid $300 on sale about a year ago.Also can hook up your ipod to it. Just moved mine to the living room so when watching TV can use it.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Trainer is the best bet. In your price range you can't get anything better than the Wahoo Kickr: Wahoo Kickr.

That guy is about as close to road feel as you're going to get. Doesn't feel anything like a typical resistance trainer where you put the back wheel on a bar and tighten. Truly feels like you are out on the road. Then with ERG mode you have the ability to dial in any power you want, and it will keep you pedalling however hard or easy you want regardless of what you do. Also works beautifully with software like zwift for awesome indoor riding experiences.

Having done both the indoor bike and trainer option, the Kickr is probably 4 orders of magnitude superior to any indoor bike.

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Assault Airbikes are absolutely miserable to be on, for what it's worth.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    get one of each, from a thrift store. Our thrift stores in town can't even give them away. and they are all prefectly good, most have never been used.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    L_Master wrote: »
    Trainer is the best bet. In your price range you can't get anything better than the Wahoo Kickr: Wahoo Kickr.

That guy is about as close to road feel as you're going to get. Doesn't feel anything like a typical resistance trainer where you put the back wheel on a bar and tighten. Truly feels like you are out on the road. Then with ERG mode you have the ability to dial in any power you want, and it will keep you pedalling however hard or easy you want regardless of what you do. Also works beautifully with software like zwift for awesome indoor riding experiences.

Having done both the indoor bike and trainer option, the Kickr is probably 4 orders of magnitude superior to any indoor bike.

Agreed! While I don't know anything about specific trainers, my husband is an avid cyclist. He has a good trainer that he sets up in our home gym once the snow prevents him from biking outdoors. Great investment as he gets good use of his bike all year. Plus it is easy to move around (we have a good treadmill and elliptical that take up space and are heavy). Good luck!!

• Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My husband and I went shopping this weekend and actually ended up going in a completely different direction and purchased a WaterRower. We had always wanted a rower, but did not think we had the space. After measurements, trying different bikes and rowers, we fell in love with the WaterRower. We should have it in 7-10 days!