Arms

Options
chanelle_cartier
chanelle_cartier Posts: 20 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've got most at home routines down legs bums and tums that I do I between the house work and that j can even do with the kids and with all the after school activities getting time to go to the gym can be a pain but I do struggle with what to do with my arms I want to tone them up but not so much that I have muscles in any way.
Has anyone got any five min work outs that I can do at home that may help! :)

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    "Toning" your arms means losing fat by eating at a deficit, to reveal the muscle you do have. When we lose weight we lose fat and muscle, so you are right in wanting to resistance train as it will help you save some muscle as you lose. Check out a full body program. Which program are you doing now?
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Push ups, pull ups, dips. Do those 3 things and you've got pretty much everything covered. If you can't do them in their standard configuration, do a modified version or negatives.

You can also throw in hand-stand push ups and horrizontal rows if you want to hit your shoulders and back more.

See - http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/exercise-progressions_12.html - for progressions
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I've got most at home routines down legs bums and tums that I do I between the house work and that j can even do with the kids and with all the after school activities getting time to go to the gym can be a pain but I do struggle with what to do with my arms I want to tone them up but not so much that I have muscles in any way.

sorry to break it to you, but you are always going to have muscle "in any way"

• chanelle_cartier
    Options

sorry to break it to you, but you are always going to have muscle "in any way"

Yes I know but I meant like masculine muscles, I'm trying to tone my muscle but not to the extent it's chizzled or anything like that
  • chanelle_cartier
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    "Toning" your arms means losing fat by eating at a deficit, to reveal the muscle you do have. When we lose weight we lose fat and muscle, so you are right in wanting to resistance train as it will help you save some muscle as you lose. Check out a full body program. Which program are you doing now?

Im not doing any program I've not long since had a baby so I'm just trying generally improve my whole body shape so I'm not so giggly :mrgreen: [
  • chanelle_cartier
    Options
    It appears I've copied that a few to many times
  • chanelle_cartier
    Options
    Push ups, pull ups, dips. Do those 3 things and you've got pretty much everything covered. If you can't do them in their standard configuration, do a modified version or negatives.

You can also throw in hand-stand push ups and horrizontal rows if you want to hit your shoulders and back more.

See - http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/exercise-progressions_12.html - for progressions

Thank you, hand stand push up, gosh I think I'd loose my front teeth! :lol:

What's a dip? I can do push ups but I'm no where near strong enough for a pull up. Thank you I'll take a look at the link.
  • nordlead2005
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The link I gave you has a page for dip progressions (the links can be hard to spot). Essentially it is a vertical push, or the opposite of a hand-stand push up.

I also couldn't do a pull up. I started with 5 sets of 1 negatives and now I can do a set of 7 and I'm still working on increasing that to a set of 20.

As for chiseled muscles, don't worry about it. You won't have chiseled muscles unless you get to a low BF%, and if you are losing weight you aren't likely to build much (if any) muscle anyways.
  • nordlead2005
    Options
    Here is a page explaining their basic full body routine - http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A lot of exercises that build core strength also require good upper body strength, like planks and bear crawls or basically anything you need to support your weight with your arms. 2 birds, right? :)

You can also use a gallon jug of water (8lbs) to do some high rep tricep extensions, etc.