Ironically, counting calories made me realize which foods I loved....

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I cut a ton out when I first started and then I learned how to properly set up a meal plan, incorporate the foods I like into my diet, and gained a proper understanding of moderation. Thanks, MFP!
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    All food is worth it to me, if I can fit it. I will be the first to admit that my macros are not the best, but my CICO is working. I get fruit, I get protein (lots of it, I love it) and I eat things I enjoy. For me, counting calories has only shown me how MUCH of the food I already love I can have.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've found that naturally weaning myself to "worth it" foods also has other positive side effects. For example, let's say that by the time dinner rolls around I have 600 calories. I've been planning on chicken, broccoli, and mashed potatoes for dinner, but I also REALLY want cheese puffs before bed. A lot of times I'll nix the mashed potatoes and cook spinach or brussel sprouts instead so I save the extra calories for the cheese puffs.

That way I eat more veggies AND get my cheese puffs. It's a win-win.

This is also why I pre-log; I can maximize nutrition while still having room to work in the foods that I enjoy.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I would be curious to see how many MFP users have foods which started on their "yeah, that's not worth it" lists and have become foods that they just don't eat at all now, and how that correlates to their success with weight loss and maintenance.

For me, it was sugary cereal. I used to eat a bowl or two every night as a "snack." When I started logging, I realized that it was not worth the calories. I haven't had cereal in months.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Oh, for sure. Things like icecream and cookies, in the past I'd have some just because my partner was having some, but now I'd much rather use those calories for something I really love. Burger buns are another pointless thing for me, I'll usually have a bite with the bun on to get the full 'burger experience' as it were, then discard the bun and eat the patty/cheese/salad/bacon on its own. Also, sandwich crusts unless the bread is from an amazing fresh crusty white loaf.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I cut a ton out when I first started and then I learned how to properly set up a meal plan, incorporate the foods I like into my diet, and gained a proper understanding of moderation. Thanks, MFP!

I feel like it's possible to understand moderation and incorporate foods that you like into your diet and still have foods you don't eat much/at all that you used to eat in the past. Basically I just stopped eating foods that I didn't really enjoy, but still ate just because they were there. Like grocery store cookies. That *kitten* is nasty. But if it was sitting on the counter at work, I'd eat it because... well, I don't know why. But I still incorporate delicious foods that I do like, like beer and cheese and chocolate and whatnot, into my day.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Agree with this post completely. I've given up eating a whole range of foods that I used to eat without a second thought, simply because they're not worth the calories to me anymore.

I've gone to a "quality vs. quantity" philosophy of eating: If I have fewer calories to spend, I'm damn well gonna make sure that every calorie counts. So I've given up cheap candy in favour of high-cocoa bean-to-bar chocolate; I invest in quality cheeses, handmade pasta, and fresh everything.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Of course I can budget any food into my day now if I wanted to. I'm not trying to say I've "given up" any foods. I can eat whatever I want.

My point was that for me it was enlightening to see that in the end, I really didn't like certain foods as much as I initially thought and even stopped wanting some of them. Seeing calorie values to foods really makes a difference for me.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I actually haven't given up any foods. I have, however, learned how MUCH of those foods I can eat and I don't eat them as often. But I'll still work them when I want them. And, granted, my diet isn't really the best. I don't eat a lot of veggies and I eat a lot of carbs. I just can't see cutting out everything I like simply because it's higher calorie and going to foods I don't like because they're healthier. For me, if I can't enjoy eating, what's the point?
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    I just can't see cutting out everything I like simply because it's higher calorie and going to foods I don't like because they're healthier. For me, if I can't enjoy eating, what's the point?

I don't think anyone in this thread is advocating this...

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I just can't see cutting out everything I like simply because it's higher calorie and going to foods I don't like because they're healthier. For me, if I can't enjoy eating, what's the point?

I'm not saying anyone is, just my two cents.
    Options

I'm not saying anyone is, just my two cents.

Gotcha! :)
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I certainly was not advocating that. And I definitely was not saying I would start eating foods I didn't like just because of the calorie count.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want - I just make it fit into my daily calorie goal. In-n-Out double double - favorite lunch weighing in at 670 calories or so. Depending on my day, I can make it protein style and shave off 130 calories and still have the same delish lunch.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've noticed that I've been passing on junk food in favor of things that "cost" fewer calories and leave me feeling fuller. For example, an orange instead of 1 serving of pringles, or carrots and hummus instead of a couple of pre-packaged cookies from the shop.

That being said, I still enjoy the foods I like if I have the calorie budget. If I want a burger for lunch, I'll make sure I have something lighter for dinner, like a salad. I'm doing Calories In - Calories Out, basically.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I think this is what some people fail to realize when they start on MFP with the intent to avoid a particular food or food group- as time goes on, you will naturally start to weed out the things that don't offer much bang for the calorie "buck".

Yeah, exactly. I don't "give up" foods, but plenty almost never make it on my plate, because they aren't worth the calories to me, either because I don't like them that much (used to eat them mindlessly) or because much as I like them, I'd usually rather use the calories on something else. But even then, they might every once in while. Like I usually don't care about cake enough to eat it (don't worry, there are plenty of other sweets I prefer). But maybe once a year I'll have a little bit of cake because of a birthday or one looking unusually good or something.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think the big one for me is alcohol. I never realized how often I would have a beer, or glass of wine, just to be social and fit in. But now that I'm actually tracking calories, I would much rather use those calories on actual food. I just don't enjoy alcohol that much, and it seems silly to use my calorie allotment on something that I don't even like that much.

I'll take a piece of chocolate over an IPA almost any day of the year.
  • jessicalundby1
    jessicalundby1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also think it is amazing how many days I still have calories to spare or splurge if I'd like because of the choices I have learned to make over time. I am also just as shocked on a "cheat day" to realize how quickly things add up when I do not stay within my designated "worth it" foods. Over the last 2 1/2 years I have found what types of foods to generally stick to during the day that to allow me to make a pretty normal dinner that my family will enjoy as well. When I have tried "diet" food for dinner my family is not as pleased so I try to pre-log so that I can know how many calories that night's dinner is going to take up. My biggest issue is continuing to log once I'm at maintenance. I've been terrible at yo-yoing (especially during summer and holidays) ugh!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've found that I love food so much more now.

Sounds odd, I know, but it's true. I've tried so many new foods in the past 2 1/2 years and kept all the ones I love, and I've enjoyed every day of it. There's foods that I do reserve for certain occassions or have far and few between, but for the most part the only things I've cut out completely are Regular Soda (Diet is just fine for me, and actually I prefer it now that my tastebuds have done a complete overhaul) and Cauliflower (Can't stand it... nope nope nope).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I've found that I love food so much more now.

Sounds odd, I know, but it's true. I've tried so many new foods in the past 2 1/2 years and kept all the ones I love, and I've enjoyed every day of it. There's foods that I do reserve for certain occassions or have far and few between, but for the most part the only things I've cut out completely are Regular Soda (Diet is just fine for me, and actually I prefer it now that my tastebuds have done a complete overhaul) and Cauliflower (Can't stand it... nope nope nope).

Cauliflower is the devil...