For the love of liquor

Options
After New Years, I decided to take a break from drinking. After 1 week, I don't think I can abstain much longer - I'm the first to admit that I love a good buzz.

So my question to you is - how to you keep a healthy balance between beer and exercise. Adjust your calories accordingly? A weekly treat? Force yourself to go for a run first?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Plan it as a treat, but set a limit. You could pick a day to increase your calories to maintenance and enjoy a drink on that day within those calories.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I had to cut myself down to alcohol only one night a week. I consider it my "cheat" or treat day. I have found that alcohol defiantly has an effect on the scale.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    There are much less calorie dense ways to get your buzz. Think whiskey or vodka and a mixer. I drink more than I should at work on the weekends, and I just budget it in. I also end up putting about 8000 steps in during that 6 hours of work so it helps. But beer is just too many calories to be worth it for me.... except the occasional guiness
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I drink whenever I want as long as it is within my calorie goal. That means, I usually don't get to drink too often or too much, but I still partake. Last night I had 2 rum and diet cokes and was still under goal! I will probably have a drink tonight while I catch up on watching The Bachelor! It just depends how good I am with food for the day. I usually have to pick between a drink or a sweet treat. And on the weekends, I take my dog for a long, long walk so that I can have an extra drink.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    As a huge wine-o, I also find it difficult to abstain from it. My plan - once I've gone a few weeks without anything just to prove it to myself that I can - is I have 2 days I can drink a week. Generally, they will be the weekends but if I really want/need a drink after work one day, I will not punish myself. It's all moderation and accounting for the calories.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I drink wine regularly - usually white wine or a proseco... I have a specific wine glass I use and fill it to 250 mls ... once!
    Try not to exceed that more than once a week, lol.
  • DropofHoney
    DropofHoney Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I LOVE wine.. I still have it.. I don't get sloshed every night.. haha but I do drink about a bottle a week. I still eat chocolate and chips........ and have lost 19 pounds in about 4 months.. :) I won't deprive myself. haha
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options

On weekend some vodka diet gingerale. Chill.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    dwulet130 wrote: »
    After New Years, I decided to take a break from drinking. After 1 week, I don't think I can abstain much longer - I'm the first to admit that I love a good buzz.

So my question to you is - how to you keep a healthy balance between beer and exercise. Adjust your calories accordingly? A weekly treat? Force yourself to go for a run first?

For some people it's chocolate, for others it's pie, for me it's liquor. I just work it in my budget. However, for the times that I am really struggling to work out, I do make deals with myself - no workout, no liquor. Or I set goals like ever 2 miles = 1 drink. For a little while I even tracked my drinking allowance on MFP in the other stats section :) Now it just works itself out and I never have to worry about it.
  • bsbprincess
    bsbprincess Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was recently challenged by a fitness buddy to join her and take a 21 days without alcohol challenge to jump start my healthy goals. I've taken it on. It's not easy but each day is a bit better. I, too, love a good buzz. I also struggle with sleep. I'm not an insomniac, but life is a brat often to all of us, and that leads me to overthinking and over-worrying. I used to have a couple shots of tequila each night. It was great and helped me sleep. But I was using too many calories and honestly, when she challenged me I thought OMG NO... THAT'S what made me think it was a good idea. I, and this is a personal thing here, needed to let go of a crutch for a bit.

I'm not saying you do, not at all. I don't know you, of course. Just wanted to share my own story on the subject. I do want to fit alcohol in occasionally, and all of the above advice is fantastic. I think a break is good every now and then, but we still have to enjoy life. I'll plan on maybe drinking once or twice a week and fitting it into my calories.

I haven't been losing weight any faster without it, which is annoying :P
  • Treegirl8
    Treegirl8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love my wine, also. I pretty much am new to this MFP and was wondering how to fit the wine in, also. It seems many plans suggest to cut out alcohol. I am getting together with some friends this weekend and drinking goes along with that. There are some good ideas/suggestions here.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I save up all week so that I have extra calories for Friday and Saturday. A whole bottle of dry red wine is only about 550 cals, so it's not that difficult to fit one or two in, especially since Saturdays I try and get out for a nice long walk/hike/gym session/? All throughout my weight loss, I had pizza once a week (and I mean 1000 calories of good pizza not 2 bites + a salad or somesuch) and at least one bottle of wine. I lost at a healthy 1.1lbs/week rate on average. I probably could have lost faster w/o the treats, but I would have hated it, probably not stuck with it, and would have lost more muscle mass.

ETA: last night I did 10 more minutes on the stairstepper to "pay" for a 6oz glass of wine. Worth it.