Most efficient, effective meal recipe: Ryan's Texas Brown Rice & Beef

Options
2»

Replies

• RyanTahiti
    RyanTahiti Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Hmm, I don't know - it was available in cube form and in little pots, so I bought the cubes as they were cheaper and would last longer. I presumed it was 1tsp reconstituted, but maybe not!

Ryan? :)

I'm pretty sure 1tsp boullion = 1 cube boullion, and when either is added to a cup of water it makes a cup of broth. This recipe is essentially using half broth and half water to boil your rice so you get added flavor but not all the sodium of using all broth.
  • RyanTahiti
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    Alright, made this again tonight. Such a hit! Corn definitely better than peas. I added a can of diced tomatoes, and that seemed to fix the dryness from using 95/5 beef. Used broth for the rice, works well in the rice cooker . Added low fat sour cream on top.

Had two servings, about 500 calories. Delicious and filling. Thanks dude! This is going to become a weekly staple for us!

Back for more - that's what I'm talking about! I'm glad it worked out better with the modifications this time, and especially happy you're finding it as filling as I do. Thank you for contributing your feedback.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    RyanTahiti wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure 1tsp boullion = 1 cube boullion, and when either is added to a cup of water it makes a cup of broth. This recipe is essentially using half broth and half water to boil your rice so you get added flavor but not all the sodium of using all broth.

Ah, so I should use one cup of water and one cup of broth, then? (Sorry if I'm being dumb here, just trying to figure out what I should be using. :smile: )

Either way I'll be making it again soon - got two full meals for the family plus two lunches for me out of it and it was easy to make, so that's my kind of cooking! :wink:
  • MurhafKanaan
    MurhafKanaan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Can you show us how you do that by Video on youtube please ?
  • chelliebabe2000
    chelliebabe2000 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh wow!!
    First off, thank you so much!!
    This recipe is amazing and my new favorite!!

However due to a grocery foepar, I purchased hot 'old El Paso' taco sauce...
    Hit the taste buds wildly, and went for more. I eventually, in the last 10mins, added fresh diced tomatoes, lemon juice fresh basil and zucchini, and served with a dollop of Greek yogurt and diced cucumber.

I use to make similar with chicken mince and Quinoa.

Hope you have an awesome day!!
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Alright, tried it again, but had no corn. Added a bag of mixed veggies. Definitely not as good as the corn.
    Substituted diced tomoatoes+ sauce for salsa. Not too bad.
    Greek yogurt on top was interesting. More sour than sour cream.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I would need to bulk this up with more veggies, at least 200-400 grams of zucchini and squash. Otherwise I'm down.
  • chelliebabe2000
    chelliebabe2000 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I would need to bulk this up with more veggies, at least 200-400 grams of zucchini and squash. Otherwise I'm down.
    Bulk it up -to be bulk up, or cos it doesn't fill you?
  • RyanTahiti
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Ah, so I should use one cup of water and one cup of broth, then? (Sorry if I'm being dumb here, just trying to figure out what I should be using. :smile: )

Either way I'll be making it again soon - got two full meals for the family plus two lunches for me out of it and it was easy to make, so that's my kind of cooking! :wink:

Oh man, I just realized I messed up at the top of the recipe. Should be TWO cups water for one cup of rice. Or two cups broth, or 1 broth 1 water (which is what I meant). Sorry for the confusion!

I think the extra can of diced tomatoes like Jack uses makes it better - or use another 1/2 jar of salsa, which I did last time and it worked great.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    RyanTahiti wrote: »
    After years of tracking calories (including a 500-day streak) and learning what works, I came up with this recipe.

What makes it my favorite?
    1. It actually tastes good
    2. It's very efficient: lastingly filling for the amount of calories. ("Only 86 calories!" doesn't fly with me if I'm hungry again 5 minutes later, you know?)
    3. It's cheap
    4. It's practical: easy to make a huge batch, and reheats well
    So here's the latest refined & simplified recipe version:

Ryan's Texas Brown Rice & Beef

1 cup Brown Rice (dry)
    1 cup water
    1 tsp beef bullion

1 lb 91% Lean Ground Beef
    1 tbsp Minced Garlic
    1 large Yellow Onion, diced
    1 large Bell Pepper, diced

1 can Corn (~16oz)
    1 jar Salsa (~16oz)
    2 tsp Chili Powder
    1 tsp Seasoning Salt (like Tony Chachere's)

Bring rice, water, and bullion to a boil, then cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
    While rice is simmering, cook beef, garlic, onions, and pepper in a large pan over medium-high heat until meat is brown and veggies are tender. Then add in the cooked rice, corn, salsa, and seasonings. Mix cook for 5-10 minutes over medium heat or until heated through.

* Prep time 1 hr. Makes 8 1-cup servings. Keeps in fridge for at least 10 days.
    * Nutrition Info per serving: 223 calories, 6.2g fat, 30.4g carbs (4.7 fiber, 7.9 sugar), 15g protein, 790mg sodium
    * Cost per serving: $0.88

Tips and variations:
    1. Toppings: Not needed, though it does taste great with cheddar cheese melted on top. For "supreme" style (aka extra calorie splurge) - cheddar on top, corn chips mixed in, and sour cream. Yum. Avocado goes great with this dish.
    2. Chorizo: adding it tastes a little better but adds way too many calories
    3. Beans: I thought it would taste better and maybe even go farther, but beans dry it out and don't add anything to the dish.
    4. Diced green chiles: I tried these in the last batch, and they were ok but didn't add as much "wow" factor as I wanted.
    5. Rice: some brown rice cooks with less water - check your container and follow its suggested water-rice ratio.
    6. Spiciness: My kids (1 & 4 years) will eat this every day, but can't handle even the mild stuff. So I use cumin & paprika instead of the chili powder, and use plain salt instead of Tony Chachere's. Then put Frank's Red Hot in my own bowl.

I can't tell you how many times I've made and eaten this. I usually double it and eat the leftovers all week.

If you try it (or make your own variation of it), please let me know what you think!

Need to try
  • Aliciamf321
    Aliciamf321 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make this very recipe and it is always a go to for my busy schedule!
    I have also made the leftovers into a soup by adding 1 large box (we don't use canned food) of diced tomatoes, 1/2 bunch of cilantro and 2 fresh tomatoes chopped up!
    I will add corn for my family but I like it with out.
    I also add water to get a soup consistency and since the bouillon has been used the flavor permeates through out the broth for soup!
  • RyanTahiti
    Options
    I make this very recipe and it is always a go to for my busy schedule!
    I have also made the leftovers into a soup by adding 1 large box (we don't use canned food) of diced tomatoes, 1/2 bunch of cilantro and 2 fresh tomatoes chopped up!
    I will add corn for my family but I like it with out.
    I also add water to get a soup consistency and since the bouillon has been used the flavor permeates through out the broth for soup!

I never though of making a soup with the leftovers - thanks for the idea.