Fitness app advice please

Does anyone have any advice about fitness apps? At 234 lbs I'm not keen to step into the gym until I'm a bit more presentable but am aware that a bit of daily exercise can really help with weight loss. Can anyone recommend an app that will be suitable? Thanks!

Replies

• Rebel_Leader
    Rebel_Leader Posts: 126 Member
    That's nonsense about not stepping into the gym until you're presentable.

Trust me on this, people give a lot respect to anyone in the gym that is making the first step in getting healthy.

Join the gym, get the support there and you will not regret it!!
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    You can find tons of videos on YouTube. Fitness blender.com is awesome as well.
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    edited January 2016
    Get yourself a simple Fit Flex and start walking and moving more. Set a daily step goal and go! You'll surprise yourself how it can motivate you to move. You don't need a gym to start working out :) Get yourself some hand weights and look up workouts on YouTube. It all starts with the first step.

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Ok, thanks for all the advice!
  • CrystalMarie183
    CrystalMarie183 Posts: 15 Member
    I know how you feel. I am 314lbs. I was the same as you. I felt like i was too fat and embarrased to go to the gym. I was afraid of being laughed at, but you have got to let that go. The hell with other peoples judgement, this is about you making yourself better and healthy. The biggest obstacle in this whole journey is you. You can do this.
  • I can understand how you feel, but please try not to!!! This journey is for you, and you alone. You need to do this to be healthier,and happier. Do whatever it takes to get there. I was about 300 pounds when i started and have lost 85 pounds. I felt the same way as you at the beginning, but as time went on, i realized that if i worried about everyone around me, and what they would think, i would never leave the house again. Go for it, do what you can, and reap the benefits of it, they will come in leaps and bounds. Good luck!!!!
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    I agree with others. Not going to a gym because you would be embarrassed shouldn't stop you. Also, once you get into the gym, don't start trying to lift too much or do excessive aerobics just to not be embarrassed. Getting fit and losing weight is a process...takes time. If you try to do too much, at first, and hurt yourself, it will be counter productive. Just do it !
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Fitness tracker, youtube videos, home workout DVDs, library, etc - all offer ways to get you moving - pick a plan and stick to it! Eat real food and count your calories. You can do it. (I agree with others about going to the gym - you walk in like you own that place and screw anyone who says/looks on you in any way other than glorious!)
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Thanks all. Gym membership starts next week. I'm thinking starting out with a few sessions a week, a little cardio and weights. But I'll see what PT says.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    It made me so sad to hear you say you didn't want to step in a gym . I remember that feeling ( I started around your size) but please believe me when I say that nobody will judge you. On fact, they will be happy you are there. Everyone starts somewhere. Don't worry about others!
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Don't be sad thorsmom01! Once I have my trainers (I don't own any exercise gear!) my mojo and I will be off to the gym!
  • pgray007
    pgray007 Posts: 47 Member
    I'd also consider doing something that doesn't need the gym (walking, running, working out at home). If you associate working out with some special place (i.e. the gym) then it's easier to make excuses about why you can't get to that special place. If your workouts can be done from any physical location than there's one less excuse.

For gym or home-based workouts, setup all your workout clothes and "stuff" you need the night before when you're feeling motivated, then it's staring you in the face when you wake up and all ready to go.