Side pain when running?

Options
Sorry I know this has bound to been asked a lot before, so apologies for that, but I downloaded the C25K app and tried to start,I love running and etc but I get an excruciating stabbing pain in my lower right side just after the first run. I'm not physically tired or out of breath, but that side pain is awful. Ughh. I can do an hour on the elyptical no problem but can't run for 60 seconds? Blah. I'm not sure why either. It wasn't like that a few months ago (I've been off and on with my fitness and weight loss). Side pain would usually come with me over-doing it and literally being totally out of breath. But for right now, I'm not tired at all 40 seconds into running but it feels like someone is taking a steak knife to my side. (I can't push through it, I tried, almost passed out its too painful).

So, what can I do to help this? I'd understand more if I was super out of shape but I'm not. I'm no athlete but I'd think I'd be able to run for longer than that.

Replies

• rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sounds like side stitches? If so, they get a lot better. I used to get that, havent had it in a long long time (unless I'm really overdoing it)

• djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Are you running on a treadmill or road?
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Side stich. Breath deeper.
  • Lo0BLu
    Lo0BLu Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Try changing to a run walk routine, my stitches are always a breathing issue even if I am not actually out of breath.
    How are you working through it now?
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wednesday I was on the treadmill at the gym and it was horrid. Yesterday I was at the park on the trail and it was pretty bad. I read about the deep breathing and exhaling on the opposite side's foot when it hits the ground. I did that and no side pain today!! I was able to complete the C25K day 1 today without pain finally. So glad it worked. I was starting to get pretty discouraged lol.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i used to get these ALL OF THE TIME. the only thing that made this not happen was for me to drink A LOT of water before i started the workout. it worked every single time.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yeah - hydrate well (think about drinking water the day before you run to prepare) and breathe deeper. Go slowly. As you get fit and accustomed to your own rhythm, they will stop. Good luck!

Honestly, the toughest part for me when I started running was to manage 20 min without stopping. After that, it became so much easier. Just make sure you run often enough to make progress. I know the elliptical is easier but it's just not quite as effective for fitness. Besides, running outdoors is lovely once you get to that point. I don't really love running, but it's not bad with fun music, as a way to visit a neighborhood when I travel, and great to do with a friend. Hang in there!
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just ease off/ slow down the speed when I get that pain and it usually goes enough for me to carry on. Eventually you'll get to run longer/harder before you get it.
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    So far no lower abdomen side pain since I've been focusing on my breathing. Though today I got a little pain/discomfort tight below my ribs o the right. I slowed down and took a break and took some deep breaths, it helped but had the discomfort through the whole run.

But, I did manage to finish day 2 and 3 of C25K in an hour so that was awesome :)
  • KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yeah, side-stitches can really be awful. I used to know people who said that stretching their arm over their head would help ease it, but that never really worked for me. But focusing on my breath would eventually help.

Good luck with the running!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I get horrible stomach pain if I try to run on a non-empty stomach. A little bit of water or coffee, but nothing else.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    For me, i run on the roads near my home. They tend "crown" so it often feels as though I'm leaning while run so I move to the shoulder which is flatter. And yes try to get in deeper breaths.