Student life and alcohol

Options
2»

Replies

• allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    To all of those saying "simply don't drink" you obviously didn't have a lot of fun in college, haha. ;) I understand what you're dealing with, OP! I'm currently a student as well and staying away from alcohol is easier said than done.

I still party all the time but this works for me, as I'm down 10 pounds this last month! :)

To think one must drink to have fun is a sign of limited understanding of life - immaturity if you will. When you have to spend your own money to get through school you learn to prioritize, and spending time, money and energy on drunkenness doesn't enhance the experience. Yeah I had classmates who got good grades, some outstanding grades, with heavy alcohol consumption. But it catches up eventually.

Alcohol doesn't help one reach any worthwhile goals as far as I can see. So . The OP isn't asking the right question.
  • allenpriest
    Options
    And staying away from alcohol as a student is really easy. It's exactly the same technique one uses to control food intake. It's called "no".
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    To all of those saying "simply don't drink" you obviously didn't have a lot of fun in college, haha. ;) I understand what you're dealing with, OP! I'm currently a student as well and staying away from alcohol is easier said than done.

I still party all the time but this works for me, as I'm down 10 pounds this last month! :)

To think one must drink to have fun is a sign of limited understanding of life - immaturity if you will. When you have to spend your own money to get through school you learn to prioritize, and spending time, money and energy on drunkenness doesn't enhance the experience. Yeah I had classmates who got good grades, some outstanding grades, with heavy alcohol consumption. But it catches up eventually.

Alcohol doesn't help one reach any worthwhile goals as far as I can see. So . The OP isn't asking the right question.

And that is your opinion which you are completely entitled to, just as OP is entitled to make her own life choices. Simply telling someone 'It's wrong to drink' and that by trying to find a healthy balance with it she is asking 'the wrong question' is very narrowminded and doesn't help OP at all. If she had asked 'what are peoples views on drinking while losing weight' then fair enough, but as she has asked for help on how to balance alcohol intake while in a calorie deficit, your comments aren't helpful or necessary.
  • allenpriest
    edited January 2016
    Options
    KrisiAnnH wrote: »

And that is your opinion which you are completely entitled to, just as OP is entitled to make her own life choices. Simply telling someone 'It's wrong to drink' and that by trying to find a healthy balance with it she is asking 'the wrong question' is very narrowminded and doesn't help OP at all. If she had asked 'what are peoples views on drinking while losing weight' then fair enough, but as she has asked for help on how to balance alcohol intake while in a calorie deficit, your comments aren't helpful or necessary.

Of course what you paraphrased is not what I posted.

And what I posted was a response to a subsequent post in the thread.

How does one work it in? Pre-log to allocate calories to the booze setting a strict limit and then sticking to that limit. If your "friends" push you to violate your limits get different friends.

But if you believe you"have to drink" to have fun then you really need to reexamine your life. That way of thinking is not a recipe for long term success or contentment.

And I'm not a non-drinker.

To assume one cannot avoid this as a student is a wrong assumption.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    KrisiAnnH wrote: »

Of course what you paraphrased is not what I posted.

And what I posted was a response to a subsequent post in the thread.

How does one work it in? Pre-log to allocate calories to the booze setting a strict limit and then sticking to that limit. If your "friends" push you to violate your limits get different friends.

But if you believe you"have to drink" to have fun then you really need to reexamine your life. That way of thinking is not a recipe for long term success or contentment.

And I'm not a non-drinker.

To assume one cannot avoid this as a student is a wrong assumption.

I respectfully disagree, granted I did say that you were implying that it is wrong to drink, but that is definitely not a huge leap to make from what you have said. And you did say that the OP is asking the 'wrong question', which I find a bizarre statement as clearly OP knows the type of advice she would like to receive and asked the question accordingly.

Yes, if someone wants to consume alcohol they could easily work it in to their daily calories (depending on the individuals goals and calorie intake of course). Or, they increase their calorie burn to allow for extra calories to be spent where they see fit (be it alcohol or food). At no point did I say anything about friends pushing you into violating your limits, and I wholeheartedly agree with you that if that were the case OP should consider finding a different friendship group. However everything I said in my previous post was made under the assumption that OP was an adult making her own choices.

I also at no point said that I believe you have to drink to have fun. I also happen to agree with you that that way of thinking is harmful and could definitely lead to further problems. Alcohol shouldn't be seen purely the only way to have fun, however if OP is an adult and decides that she would like to have a drink or two at a social gathering, then there is no harm in that, and that is what I was trying to help her with.

I also at no point said that you cannot avoid alcohol as a student. I myself was a non drinker for 6 months while at university due to wanting to lose weight and make healthier choices so I know it can be done. However it is definitely a personal choice, and while OP may want to consider giving up alcohol for her own person reasons, it isn't particularly helpful to her original questions.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of wine several times a week. I just make it fit into my calories !